AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:31 PM

Default Digital alien needs basic help with DAC

I've been playing vinyl exclusively since I sold my Sony 777ES player many years ago. Digital is a whole new world and one in which I am a total idiot!

I have an Oppo 103 player, currently going direct into my Pass Labs preamp. It sounds crappy at best, even with higher resolution formats like SACD and high resolution files. My friend gave me a Seagate hard drive with 1000's of music files on it including SACD, DSD, and PCM. I can use the Oppo to access the music but again it sounds like crap compared to vinyl.

So I'm considering a DAC for my Oppo. According to the manual, in order to pass along high resolution formats, I need to use an HDMI connection between Oppo and DAC.

I was considering a Mytek Brooklyn, but it doesn't have HDMI inputs.

Is there a great sounding, high value DAC that I can use with my Oppo to play CD, SACD, and the music files on the external hard drive? I don't want to use my laptop and don't see myself getting into streaming. I have no need for volume control or headphone amp built in to the DAC. I want to connect the DAC to my preamp via balanced cables.

Total budget for this foray into digital is $4,000 for either a DAC, a new universal disc player, or some combination. I'm OK with new or used, and would definitely be open to a tube DAC.

Help! I'd appreciate any suggestions and thanks in advance.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 03-31-2020, 03:42 PM

Default Digital alien needs basic help with DAC

Does your preamp have an analog bypass feature? If so, you can buy a used Oppo 205 that has an excellent DAC that will convert all files including high res files. Then you can connect the analog out from the Oppo to your preamp. That would cost you much less than what you budgeted.

The Oppo 205 also has a volume so you could use the 205 as a preamp for your digital files.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Does your preamp have an analog bypass feature? If so, you can buy a used Oppo 205 that has an excellent DAC that will convert all files including high res files. Then you can connect the analog out from the Oppo to your preamp. That would cost you much less than what you budgeted.

The Oppo 205 also has a volume so you could use the 205 as a preamp for your digital files.
Thanks, great suggestion. I like a one box solution which would allow me to put my 103 back in the family room for watching movies and playing music on my whole house system.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 03-31-2020, 05:52 PM

Bryston has HDMI inputs.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:18 AM

The Bryston BDA 3.14 not only has a spectacular DAC with HDMI inputs, it will play from that HDD you were given, and will stream (and yes, in all likelihood you will eventually start streaming. I didn’t stream either but with the “lockdown” I tried the free trial from Qobuz and oh my!... like a whole new world opened up for the cost (when I start having to pay) of a fairly inexpensive interconnect (that’s for one, not a pair)).
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
Thanks, great suggestion. I like a one box solution which would allow me to put my 103 back in the family room for watching movies and playing music on my whole house system.
If you think that the 103 output sounds like crap, there's no assurance that you will be happy with the 205 output, even though it is better. You would also be stuck with Oppo's primitive/clunky GUI.

I suggest you look at decent music streamer/player/DAC like the NAD M10 or similar.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
If you think that the 103 output sounds like crap, there's no assurance that you will be happy with the 205 output, even though it is better. You would also be stuck with Oppo's primitive/clunky GUI.

I suggest you look at decent music streamer/player/DAC like the NAD M10 or similar.
Thanks Kal. That looks like a great solution if I didn't already have a preamp and amps that I love. Just looking for digital player/DAC without the integrated amp built in.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
The Bryston BDA 3.14 not only has a spectacular DAC with HDMI inputs, it will play from that HDD you were given, and will stream (and yes, in all likelihood you will eventually start streaming. I didn’t stream either but with the “lockdown” I tried the free trial from Qobuz and oh my!... like a whole new world opened up for the cost (when I start having to pay) of a fairly inexpensive interconnect (that’s for one, not a pair)).
Thanks Rob and I know what you mean about the possibility of exploring streaming. I will check out the Bryston.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:33 PM

Why HDMI only? Do you want to keep the Oppo in the audio loop?

Or are you relying on the Oppo to provide a video signal as well so you can monitor what the Oppo is playing?
Old 04-01-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Why HDMI only? Do you want to keep the Oppo in the audio loop?

Or are you relying on the Oppo to provide a video signal as well so you can monitor what the Oppo is playing?
Good question and I refer you to the title of this thread! That is, I'm pretty ignorant about all things digital.

All I know is that I want something to play my collection of physical CDs and SACDs, as well as the music stored on that external hard drive. The Oppo requires an HDMI connection to the DAC to pass on the higher resolution formats. So I think I will still need a player as well as a DAC.