AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-11-2011, 04:47 PM

Or buy the Ref Phono 2 and $47k of new vinyl.

I am not one to talk...but coming off the investment this year in equipment changes...2012 will focused on bringing my software investment back in line
Old 12-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
Or buy the Ref Phono 2 and $47k of new vinyl.

I am not one to talk...but coming off the investment this year in equipment changes...2012 will focused on bringing my software investment back in line
That's a MUCH better investment!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
"Overblown and lacking some control" may be a bit over wrought, but I think I know where he's coming from. From rock to jazz to classical, listening to the RP2 I get no sense of frequency imbalance as it shows its refined nature across the spectrum. For low frequency tonal character - pitch definition if you will - it is excellent. If one is seeking contrast, the phono section in my Atma-Sphere MP-1 offered a wee bit more articulation on leading edges and slightly more weight; this refers only to the lower frequencies. From the lower mids and up, the RP2 had the edge - no pun intended. As regards the bass, you've got to go looking for it in an A/B to notice the difference; without doing so it does not stand out in any way. I can 'tune' the MP-1 somewhat with different 6SN7s to achieve improvement in the bass, but that becomes a matter of trade-off in other areas. Not something available to the RP2 owner although its high-frequency extension and 'airiness' do improve slightly with the NOS DR version of the 6H30. Likewise with power cords - the stock cord is very good but a Shunyata King Cobra lent improvement to the RP2 across the board, including to the bass region. Fwiw, between the two phonos I choose the RP2 about 90% of the time. We'll discern more than faint improvement with the forthcoming SE verison.
Hi Tim

I only just realied who it was. How long have you had the Wilson Sasha's?

How do you like them and him and how are your Atmosphere's driving them?

And, finally, do you have the SE upgrade for your ref2 phono? Can you tell us the difference or are you reviewing it?

Cheers

Shane
Old 12-17-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I just recently bought the Ref Phono 2 SE. It's not fully broken in yet so I can only speak to its current performance. System is LP12 SE/Radikal/Akiva source and Ayre KX-R/Ref250/Sasha. Primarily 180g pressings. I don't hear any issues with loose or muddy base. This system produces a wide and well defined soundstage and one of the most natural presentations I have heard. Extension, Air, Resolution, Dynamics...awesome. I also have an ASR Basis 2010 phono...which excels at the extremes...I prefer the ARC. It offers most of the ASRs strengths but presents a soundstage and the performers within with a sense of realism I find unmatched. I have not put the SME 20/3 in that system yet....it's more refined and extended than the Linn...giving up just a little in rhythm to the Linn. Two very different flavors. the SME/ASR combo is extended and more accurate...well defined but not at all clinical....the Ref Phono2/LP12 is that at a slightly lesser degree...but so musical. I know many disagree, but excluding the LP12 from consideration in the $15-20k options is a mistake. Picking it or the SME will provide much enjoyment. Picking the Ref Phono 2....is a no brainier...good luck
Hi Enatai

It is great to have two tables, just gives that flexibilty to choose based on mood or recording.

BTW, does the REF2se phono now have two ground posts for the two inputs? One glaring omission on the REf2 phono.

cheers
Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable

Hi Enatai

It is great to have two tables, just gives that flexibilty to choose based on mood or recording.

BTW, does the REF2se phono now have two ground posts for the two inputs? One glaring omission on the REf2 phono.

cheers
Still just 1 grounding post..my ASR is also a 2 input phono and has only 1 as well...is it bad to have just one common ground point?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Still just 1 grounding post..my ASR is also a 2 input phono and has only 1 as well...is it bad to have just one common ground point?
It is very bad ! you will be punished young boy !
Old 12-17-2011, 01:04 PM

I am not an EE...but I can't think of a reason that taking two tone arms to common ground with one common post is any different than just using one post for each arm. They are all being grounded to the chassis...no?. Since I only use one arm for each of the 2 phono stages I use....won't result in lack of sleep
Old 12-17-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Really, damm.

I have 4 tables, so I am swapping tonearm leads and ground cables on a regular basis. It is a royal PITA with only one ground terminal.

You would think for a 12k plus dual phono stage they could add another $1 ground terminal.

No difference to the sound, one or two terminals.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 PM

JV from The Absolute Sound wrote a short article on his initial views on the Ref PH2 SE - see the TAS site. Says he is very impressed with the changes from the original 2. Also states pricing is $1k more.

Mike
Old 12-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
JV from The Absolute Sound wrote a short article on his initial views on the Ref PH2 SE - see the TAS site. Says he is very impressed with the changes from the original 2. Also states pricing is $1k more.

Mike
Exclusive First Listen: Audio Research Reference Phono 2SE Phonostage | AVguide