AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 AM

I read a interesting article on Tannoy Glenair 15" speaker. It compares using low power tube set vs. solid state. I'm assuming it applies to Tannoy's other speakers as you move up the line.

Doug Schroeder samples Tannoy's latest 15-inch Dual-Concentric? technology in its $10,000 pair of Glenair loudspeakers Review - Equipment Reviews - Dagogo
Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects
Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 AM

It is an interesting conundrum. The traditional low power amp with high efficiency speakers giving way to monster SS with high efficiency speakers. Seems counterintuitive or unnecessary but is interesting all the same.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
It is an interesting conundrum. The traditional low power amp with high efficiency speakers giving way to monster SS with high efficiency speakers. Seems counterintuitive or unnecessary but is interesting all the same.
I agree Howie. I've been using my 600 wpc McIntosh MC601's with my Klipsch Cornwall III's which are 102 db @ 1watt/1meter sensitive and using a tube preamp. I'm very happy with the combination and would have never thought that combo was even necessary, but it works pretty well. I think the article makes some good points. It does seem counter-intuitive.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Rega P9 with an MM cart. Maybe the Exact to begin and then the Maestro...
Third TT will be an Avid Acutus SP with a Benz Micro LP but I'm not in a hurry for this one : it costs a fair amount of money.
Jérôme.......You'll be needing to get into the safe for this purchase.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-14-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
I prefer high powered SS with my 15" Tannoys, better dynamics and bass control. Due to their laid back nature, they're still pretty forgiving.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 09-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Good article, it touches on the design elements of the dual concentric drivers and explains some of the characteristics of the rather unique sound of Tannoy speakers. It certainly reinforced some of the traits I've been hearing. Having explored 3 pairs of Tannoy speakers working my way up the line, as well as pairing them up with both SS and various tube amps, I've circled around and am coming to the conclusion that the best "overall" sound is achieved with a high quality push-pull tube amp and a truly "magic" and "Holy Grail" sound with SET amps for when the music is simpler/less instruments and the pace allows you to enjoy and savor the harmonic bouquet and the immediacy of acoustic instruments and vocals.

The purity of tone and the hauntingly real presence of instruments and vocals in the room when the pace slows down is virtually unmatched in my experience. I have not paired other SS amps other than Bryston which really did not bring anything to the table that I liked, quite the opposite...

I even clearly heard the difference between an ARC REF5 and the hybrid JFET/tube ARC LS27 preamp, enough to steer me away from the hybrid preamp instantly. Tannoy is not Sonus Faber, Tannoy will tell you right away if it is happy with the pairing or rather if your ears will be happy. Yes Tannoy tends to be really musical, smooth, non-fatiguing but only if the rest of the gear behind them is up to par. In my system, even a pair of different IC makes it's presence audible and sways the sound balance enough to be liked or not... So no SS for me with Tannoy.

I can't wait to hear the KT120's of my new ARC REF250's.

I also discovered the step in the right direction with the extra 3 dB of efficiency when it came to Canterbury and Shindo Cortese 10w of SET. Big time. If I had to make an intelligent guess right here, the Cortese would be at the very pinnacle and summit of it's performance with 100dB of efficiency too. My intuition tells me my own Canterbury's will be at their very best for my taste and preference with about 20w of SET to really cover the whole span of my music genres I listen to. The Shindo push-pull amps will probably be a very close second. The ARC will be an interesting experiment but may be pulled to another room/project. We'll see.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is the Tulip vs Pepperpot waveguides in various models. The Sandringham and Glenair are Tulip. The Kensington and Canterbury are Pepperpot. I heard the difference between the Sandringham and Kensington models in my own room instantly with the Canterbury following the Kensington. The Pepperpot is a more detailed presentation midrange on up. While I can see how a very refined and non-grainy SS amp would just work with the Tulip and my older Bryston sounded better with Sandringham, the sterile and edgy nature came through much easier with the Pepperpot waveguide. The tonal balance of the larger drivers that are able to bring on more bass and midbass warmth, the 15" drivers, balance out very well the extra detail and openness of the Pepperpot waveguide up top.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I also discovered the step in the right direction with the extra 3 dB of efficiency when it came to Canterbury
It's effectively the same thing as doubling your amp's WPC.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2