AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 08-28-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwankenobi View Post
Looking at 803D3 for some time. I know this is not ideal but has anyone paired this with Marantz AVR SR7013 or the new SR8015? Does it match well? My listening pattern is 50/50 for music and movies. I dont intend to get a subwoofer for movies as I am quite satisfied with the bass it produces.

Is this a 2.0 system or 5.0 systems? It mentions movies but not sure if you need dolby decoding or not.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. Good info there. The idea of a poor man 803D3 might not be feasible after all. The plan is to get the speakers now and slowly hunt for a capable amp. I am actually eyeing for the Japan-made Marantz SR8015 which supports 140W per channel... in theory that is before saving up for amps.

https://www.us.marantz.com/en-US/sho...ceivers/sr8015
I did just as you mentioned. I bought 803D3 and drove them with an existing denon 3808ci (5.1 system, 80 music/20 movies). It was adequate for the time being. Eventually I replaced the 3808 with a SR7012 and noticed a moderate difference in SQ. My experience, my system of course. I continued the upgrade path with Mcintosh MC601 which really opened the sound stage and supported the lower frequencies. My next purchase? A C2700 preamp and use the HT pass through for movies. My goal is to try a tube front end and a ss backend.

My point is, there are many paths to achieve your goal. Your goal is just that... YOURS. Use other’s experience along with your own to create that goal and determine the path to make it happen. Above all have fun along the way.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 08-29-2020, 01:09 AM

My best combos have been with the electrocompaniet, Macintosh and Krell amps
Old 08-29-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post
I agree that an AVR is not a good match, you are wasting your money on the 803. There are lots of simple very powerful integrated amos that can drive these speakers:

Rotel Michi new integrateds
Marantz PM10, PM12
Any of the Mcintosh amps

The above are some of the ones I use. Almost any brand wil have an amp to suit them.
Which of the lot do you reckon offers the most value for money?
Old 08-29-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer6 View Post
Is this a 2.0 system or 5.0 systems? It mentions movies but not sure if you need dolby decoding or not.
My usage is around 60/40 for movies and music whereas my resident CFO is 20/80 movies and music. Dolby decoding is a must. Actually I am getting sharc for this to enable eARC from my TV to the aging AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
I did just as you mentioned. I bought 803D3 and drove them with an existing denon 3808ci (5.1 system, 80 music/20 movies). It was adequate for the time being. Eventually I replaced the 3808 with a SR7012 and noticed a moderate difference in SQ. My experience, my system of course. I continued the upgrade path with Mcintosh MC601 which really opened the sound stage and supported the lower frequencies. My next purchase? A C2700 preamp and use the HT pass through for movies. My goal is to try a tube front end and a ss backend.

My point is, there are many paths to achieve your goal. Your goal is just that... YOURS. Use other’s experience along with your own to create that goal and determine the path to make it happen. Above all have fun along the way.
Yes, looks like we're on the same path. My SR7008 should have the same output as your SR7012 minus the latest features. I know this is subjective but how do you find the sound improvement when you upgrade to Mcintosh MC601? That beast costs the same as a used 803 D3!

On a side note, I visited the B&W showroom when they were showcasing 803D3 with Classe amps. Can't remember the model but the sound was glorious and in-your-face. Literally feels like the jazz band was playing just in front of you. Last week when I visited there again, they were running on the new crème de la crème Michi amps but somehow the sound feels muted, not as "open" as Classe. Maybe one desperate way to describe is like having a band playing in front of you but with a thin curtain in between.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:46 AM

Quote:
My usage is around 60/40 for movies and music whereas my resident CFO is 20/80 movies and music. Dolby decoding is a must. Actually I am getting sharc for this to enable eARC from my TV to the aging AVR.

Yes, looks like we're on the same path. My SR7008 should have the same output as your SR7012 minus the latest features. I know this is subjective but how do you find the sound improvement when you upgrade to Mcintosh MC601? That beast costs the same as a used 803 D3!

On a side note, I visited the B&W showroom when they were showcasing 803D3 with Classe amps. Can't remember the model but the sound was glorious and in-your-face. Literally feels like the jazz band was playing just in front of you. Last week when I visited there again, they were running on the new crème de la crème Michi amps but somehow the sound feels muted, not as "open" as Classe. Maybe one desperate way to describe is like having a band playing in front of you but with a thin curtain in between.
It was possible that those new Michi amps weren't broken in yet as they were recently released therefore the amps weren't performing at their full potential.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:39 AM

I have the 803d3 for about 3 years now. Using the yamaha CX-A5100 pre and powered by Emotiva XPA2 gen 2 this was ok. I then upgraded to a Emotiva XPA-DR2 and this was a mistake as it was lousy.

A few months ago I eventually got my MC462 and boy did this make a difference took the speakers to whole new level. Eventually I am going to get the C2700 so I can a dedicated 2 channel system.

I don’t believe you will get the best out of the speakers with an AV receiver simply not enough power. But you can always go ahead for now and then upgrade slowly along the way. You will definitely need a more powerful amp.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Going from AV power to the MC601 definitely made a difference. With the Denon and Marantz AV there was always ear fatigue when played at higher volume. Which was my major concern with the 803D3. With the mc601 that’s not an issue any longer. The music is much smoother and relaxed. They effortlessly drive the speakers. The bass got a little tighter and clarity got better.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 08-30-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Exactly. Setting aside the specifics, this is a great illustration of why it's critical to invest in amps--speakers are only half the equation. (Ok, maybe 60%, haha)
Old 09-02-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
Going from AV power to the MC601 definitely made a difference. With the Denon and Marantz AV there was always ear fatigue when played at higher volume. Which was my major concern with the 803D3. With the mc601 that’s not an issue any longer. The music is much smoother and relaxed. They effortlessly drive the speakers. The bass got a little tighter and clarity got better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Exactly. Setting aside the specifics, this is a great illustration of why it's critical to invest in amps--speakers are only half the equation. (Ok, maybe 60%, haha)
Looks like I will be broke soon in a few months, or at least until D4 comes around.

Sorry for the noob question. If I save up for MC601, I would need two of these to power each speaker? Considering each costs about US$10k!

Is there a single, mid-range amp that is able to do a decent job?