AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Default Audition - Speakers for my Mc Gear

Over at the other place, I mentioned several months I was interested in looking at new speakers to go with my sound system. After having invested in the electronics portion I thought it was time to focus on the 'front' end.

Back in Feb, I was able to visit AudioClassics, and was able to do a side by side comparison between the XRT1K and PMC EB1i's. My conclusion was that the EB1i's were slightly more musical than the Mc's 1K's.

This past week I was able to do a side by side comparison of EB1's, OB1i's and ProAc's D28. The demo was done with a Mc 220 Preamp, a Bryston amp and CD player, through Crystal Cables.

For those of you who know ProAcs you shouldn't be surprised to hear that I found their imaging to be exceptional and the base very tight.

The PMC OB1i's are very nice speakers, but they are not in the same class as the D28's, not to my ears. This is not to say that the OB's are not good speakers, but it only took a few minutes for me to know that I would prefer the D28's.

The real test would come in comparing to the EB1's. Before I go further, I should state the the D28's cost about 7K MSRP and the EB1's 16K. I spent about 90 minutes listening switching back and forth between these two pair of speakers and if money was not an issue, I would lean towards the EB1i's. They were slightly more musical, slightly more engaging and seemed to work rather effortlessly. Having said, that, I can't help but wonder how the D38's would sound or the D80's, priced at 10K and 20K respectively. I would assume that it would be a question of preference, and the differences would only be nuances, and not 'substantial' differences. At this stage I am not sure how much 'better' the EB1's would be if they were tested side by side with the D38's which is the midpoint of the ProAc line.

I've not yet decided. I'm now searching for a dealer with D38's that perhaps I can bring home, likewise with the EB1i's. I'm also thinking of comparing the D28's to the new PB1i's, if I can, though again pricing may be an argument for the D28's.

Just thought I would share.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks for your review... having just heard the EB1's... that is REALLY saying a lot for Proacs!!!

A speaker that I have heard very little, if ever.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Thanks for your review... having just heard the EB1's... that is REALLY saying a lot for Proacs!!!

A speaker that I have heard very little, if ever.
No problem Of course I am partial to ProAcs and I've not heard any of the 'bigger' ProAcs, like the D38 or D80's, so I'm sorta making assumptions.

When I bought the current ProAcs I have, I liked them better than some of the higher scale B&W's. For the longest time, almost 20 years my speakers were Tannoy Cheviots. When I did buy my ProAcs, they put the Tannoy's to shame, and that surprised me. Of course the Tannoy's were not new anymore, so perhaps that's an unfair comparison, but I had loved my Tannoy's. I'm still toying with audition some of the new Prestige line from Tannoy's and see how they fare in comparison. Somehow I don't think they will be up to the standard of these 2 speakers.

I know I like transparent speakers with clear sound and excellent imaging and I don't like heavy bass. Again, I would never back away from owning a pair of EB1i's, and I wouldn't say the ProAcs are better just slightly different, and more affordable.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Have not heard all the Proacs but the ones I've lived with or my friend had for some time were great. I don't think one can go wrong with Proac.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 PM

According to their web site, ProAc claims that the D28 will go down to 20Hz. That is a remarkable achievement for a single 61/2" mid/woofer.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:21 PM

Welcome to Audio Aficionado Buffalo Bill!

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 04-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haurock View Post

Back in Feb, I was able to visit AudioClassics, and was able to do a side by side comparison between the XRT1K and PMC EB1i's. My conclusion was that the EB1i's were slightly more musical than the Mc's 1K's.
What kind of music do you primarily like? Also what speaker do you like in general,brands? I ask because I find that what you are looking for in a speaker may be different if you listen to mostly easy listening vs say be-bop. If one speaker is more musical but can't do the fast attacks that you find in be-bop, that's a deal breaker for me. That's what I like about Mcintosh speakers. They can keep up with the pitch changes in the bass like few other speakers and fast drum attacks. Some other speakers are just too boring for a bebop jazz fan. I have never heard the PMC speakers so my comments are not directed at them. My point is that you really need to know the other person's preferences to know if you may reach the same conclusions. I know I have a close friend who prefers almost the exact opposite of what I like.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 AM

Kevin,

Thanks for your intput.

I've always prefered neutral speakers. I want to hear the music in its original sound as much as possible. That may be an idealistic aim but that is where I start. I'm not sure I agree with you that you should be listening to different speakers depending on which kind of music you like. In my view an excellent speaker should play most kinds of music exceptionally well. If your speakers are well married to your electronics and well suited to your room, then you should be able to listen to pretty much anything. Your suggestion makes me wonder if one should have a different sound system for each kind of music one listens to. I'm not sure even MasterLu could afford that kind of philosophy.

My tastes in music are rather eclectic. I enjoy just about all forms of music and I want a sound system that will allow me to enjoy that. Though I have developed a particular taste for Blues of late, I do enjoy Jazz, Classical as well as Rock and pop. I have equal amounts of CDs in each of those categories.

Previoiusly, I've owned Sony speakers, Tannoy Cheviots, Bose Series VI 901, and ProAc Response 1.5. The last is the best I have owned followed closely by the Tannoys. Interestingly, I have changed my electronics much more often than I have changed speakers.

Interestingly, when I auditioned the PMC's, I compared these with McIntosh's XRT1K. One song we particularly paid attention to was 'Because' by the Beatles and both my wife and I found that the PMCs were slightly more musical than the XRT1K. For me the differenc became apparent when we listened to Beethoven's Ninth and the sound of the tympani. There was no doubt that the sound was clearer and more musical on the PMCs. Even Frank Gow Jr, who works at AudioClassics agreed with the assessment.

My intent with this thread was not to champion one speaker over another. It is more intended to share what I heard in the soundrooms on speakers married to Mc gear. Right now, it appears that my preferences lie with the ProAcs and PMCs. If I get a chance to listent to the XR200's I will, but so far, I have not particularly enjoyed McIntosh speakers.

Yesterday I found an audio store in Montreal that carries both ProAcs and Sonus Faber (which I have also been wanting to audition) so that is my next task and I intend to share what I have experienced with the gang here at AA. Yes I am addicted, but its such a lovely addiction.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Kevin,

Thanks for your intput.

I've always prefered neutral speakers. I want to hear the music in its original sound as much as possible. That may be an idealistic aim but that is where I start. I'm not sure I agree with you that you should be listening to different speakers depending on which kind of music you like. .
All speakers that I can afford have strengths and weaknesses. Different music plays to this. For example, while I find Pro-Ac very neutral, Mcintosh speakers KILL them on bass pitch definition but you have to play music, not blues which has a slow tempo, with a fast enough changes to hear it. I found that Mcintosh speakers have this advantage over all speakers that I have tried except for Martin Logan which seems to be fast enough to keep up. It is something you might miss unless you were looking for it. I would be extremely surprised if the PMC speaker are as good as Mcintosh with bass pitch and suspect Mcintosh is killing on pitch changes as well. I can not say they are not because I have not heard them but the speaker that can keep up are very few.

Last edited by Kevin M.; 04-21-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
No problem Of course I am partial to ProAcs and I've not heard any of the 'bigger' ProAcs, like the D38 or D80's, so I'm sorta making assumptions.
The ProAc D80 is a great speaker that should be "a must audition" if you are in the market for a speaker in the price range of lets say a B&W N802D.

But the jewel in the crown of ProAc is the D100...incredible speaker that gives many more expensive speakers a run for their money...but they do need corner placement for best performance.

...if only I could feed them MC2KW juice

Last edited by JemHadar; 11-03-2017 at 01:26 PM.