AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 08-16-2014, 01:08 AM

Hi S1chen, Thanks for the sharing. What is the size of your listening area? The QSub15 has 2 15" woofers (back to back), so in terms of cone area, it is larger than even 4 10" woofers. And then there is the built-in (optimized) driving amp. I read some trying to mate the Q1 with JL with only mixed results.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
Hi S1chen, Thanks for the sharing. What is the size of your listening area? The QSub15 has 2 15" woofers (back to back), so in terms of cone area, it is larger than even 4 10" woofers. And then there is the built-in (optimized) driving amp. I read some trying to mate the Q1 with JL with only mixed results.
It is absolutely right that to add a sub to a Q3 or even S3 or higher is so much more direct than the Q1. But that don't mean it sound correct or good. If without the DSP (aka EQ) in the Qsub, I doubt the Q1 can ever blend in with any Sub. We test it with the Q3 in the Dealer place and still the DSP is very important and EQ the Sub with the Q3.

You cannot just use the low pass filter to do the row off and expect it to sound good. In fact, I find it do more harm to the overall sound than the going without the Sub. This include both the S3, Q3, and Q1. I have use 6 of the DSP point to do the EQ to match in to the room and the Q1. My room is 12.5x28x9ft
Old 09-30-2014, 07:01 PM

Congrats S1Chen...have always wanted to hear the QSubs. I have used a Velodyne in my system for well over 10 years straight now...currently running the DD18 in parallel with my Wilson X1/Grand Slamms. I enjoy it tremendously having spent a long time dialing it in. But would absolutely love to hear the QSub!!! Enjoy!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
the person trying to match Q1 with 2 JL fathom sub was me. It doesn't work because the JL audio is not at the level of the drivers used in the Q1, so you cannot match them properly. Best is to keep the JL for what it has been designed for: HT...
I trust S1Chen that you can get good results adding one or 2 Qsub-15 to a pair of Q1 or Q3. This is probably the most sophisticated sub design ever made. Fast, rigid drivers, very stable enclosure, good electronic. 15" Drivers used are top notch, they are the same which were custom developed for the bass driver of the Magico Ultimate... a 600k speaker - so you can imagine that Magico didn't take any shortcut when designing them.
I heard also a demo of the Qsub18 when visiting the Magico factory for Ultimate set up. The power it can generate is sick! Not sure who needs so much bass but for bass freaks (i.e. not me) it is really crazy. I had the impression to be punched in the stomach....

Last edited by jazzman; 10-01-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1chen View Post
Finally got the Qsub15 to pair with the Q1. (...)
Would like to see pictures of your system.

And congratulations!
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal View Post
Would like to see pictures of your system. And congratulations!
I don't know how to post a picture on this forum.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
the person trying to match Q1 with 2 JL fathom sub was me. It doesn't work because the JL audio is not at the level of the drivers used in the Q1, so you cannot match them properly. Best is to keep the JL for what it has been designed for: HT... I trust S1Chen that you can get good results adding one or 2 Qsub-15 to a pair of Q1 or Q3. This is probably the most sophisticated sub design ever made. Fast, rigid drivers, very stable enclosure, good electronic. 15" Drivers used are top notch, they are the same which were custom developed for the bass driver of the Magico Ultimate... a 600k speaker - so you can imagine that Magico didn't take any shortcut when designing them. I heard also a demo of the Qsub18 when visiting the Magico factory for Ultimate set up. The power it can generate is sick! Not sure who needs so much bass but for bass freaks (i.e. not me) it is really crazy. I had the impression to be punched in the stomach....
So far, we already have 3 customer in my country using the qsub15 and needless to say, they work very well in all the 3. The sound with the qsub is very different from the sound direct from a full range box speaker. When you heard a box like q3 without sub, first impression is it have punch and good bass. But when u heard a more dynamic music like the full scale symphony, u will feel it lack something.

Now turn to a q1 with sub. First impression is it don't have the punch of a full range box speaker and hit you hard on the face. But when u listen to live concert, symphony and music with well recording. The sound is natural and it transport you into the venus of the recording. Once u heard this combo, u may not return to a speaker without the qsub. Well anyone used the q1 know this speaker totally disappear in the room leaving only sound from the music.

So far, I am using the qsub15 with q1. Another customer use the same combo and constellation amp n Emm labs front source and pre. The last one use the SF Gunari with soulution 530.

All are well tuned and the sound blend in beautifully and scale up the two outstanding small speakers into a live like concert hall.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 PM

I used to use SF Guarneri with Velodyne DD18. I now use Wilson X1 with DD18...would love to try QSub15 and possibly use the active crossover to cut off the main speakers at 38hz...which is how Wilson's own Active Crossover/Thor subwoofer is designed by Wilson.

How does the QSub15 or 18 compare with other subs? Any guidance here from those who've heard it? Thanks!!!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydelee21 View Post
I used to use SF Guarneri with Velodyne DD18. I now use Wilson X1 with DD18...would love to try QSub15 and possibly use the active crossover to cut off the main speakers at 38hz...which is how Wilson's own Active Crossover/Thor subwoofer is designed by Wilson.

How does the QSub15 or 18 compare with other subs? Any guidance here from those who've heard it? Thanks!!!
Compare to another sub is always a subjective question. But I have to say this sub is almost colourless. If you cross correctly, and at any placement, you will never heard the box sound. And is very fast and clear sound. Not muddy like many other sub. Hence it is always the thinking of some that stereo system should never add a sub. And insist must use 2 as stereo. This Qsub may change your thinking after you use it.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:00 PM

Fantastic S1Chen,

I am seriously starting to think about auditioning the QSub.

When you say QSub may change your thinking...do you mean it might also change your thinking about whether or not you need 2 subs or only 1? At this cost...I hope 1 is enough!