AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Time Pieces

Time Pieces Watch Collectors

Old 01-16-2019, 02:08 PM

Default Breitling Navitimer

I am contemplating one of these. I have never owned a Breitling watch, just a couple of Rolex watches. Does anyone here own a Breitling and what are your thoughts?
Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 PM

Default Breitling Navitimer

This specific one or a Navitimer in general? I believe that is the Navitimer 1 Chronograph GMT 46. If so, try it on first since it’s huge at 46mm.

Last edited by Cohibaman; 01-16-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:08 PM

I believe it is a Navitimer World. I really love the look of this watch. I have never had a watch with a slide rule. Both my Rolex watches are 40mm, so the 46mm does concern me a little bit. There is a Breitling dealer up north of me. I was going to take a trip up there to see the various models in person.

I am interested in the quality of Breitling in general. How does the reliability as well as the fit and finish compare to Rolex?
Old 01-16-2019, 03:41 PM

Wore a Navitimer some years back. Loved the watch but it is bulky. Depending on your wrist size you may or may not be comfortable wearing it but other than that it is a great piece.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:53 PM
Go Dawgs

Lost Bears.....I love em.....I’ve got a couple of Breitlings including a Navitimer with the black face and white chronos. It’s my favorite watch and looks awesome.....it’s amazing how many compliments I’ve gotten on it. It is a bit larger....I don’t know if I’d call it bulky per se, but it is wide in diameter. The only time I’ve had an issue is with a dress shirt with tighter cuffs, it can be tough to wear in that situation but other than that I love it. This is a stock picture of mine:

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM

Buck, That is a gorgeous watch. Though I tend go for watches with all white dials. I really love the way the smaller dials stand out with the black dial.

I do have a big wrist, I had to have 2 extra links added when I bought my Rolex Explorer II some years back.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM

I strongly recommend you try it on first to be sure that a 46mm watch feels good as well as looks good on your wrist.

The Navitimer is fitted with a modified ETA/Valjoux 7750-based movement (I’m not sure if ETA modifies it for Breitling or if Breitling modifies it themselves). The 7750 has been around for a long time and they are very reliable movements. Just know, it’s basically the same movement found in many $500 chronographs.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
I strongly recommend you try it on first to be sure that a 46mm watch feels good as well as looks good on your wrist.

The Navitimer is fitted with a modified ETA/Valjoux 7750-based movement (I’m not sure if ETA modifies it for Breitling or if Breitling modifies it themselves). The 7750 has been around for a long time and they are very reliable movements. Just know, it’s basically the same movement found in many $500 chronographs.
Now I am curious, what other watches use the ETA 7750 movement? The ETA movements are quality Swiss made movements, correct?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
Now I am curious, what other watches use the ETA 7750 movement? The ETA movements are quality Swiss made movements, correct?
https://watchbase.com/eta/caliber/7750
Old 01-16-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post

Lots of watch brands use the 7750-based movements. Philip, Fortis, Tag Heuer, Invicta, Bulova, Steinhart, Victorinox....to name a few. Do a search on eBay, key words “Valjoux 7750”.

It’s definitely Swiss and definitely a quality movement. The Valjoux 7750 has a very cool story too...

https://www.calibre11.com/history-et...er-calibre-16/

Here’s a pic of my $400 Philip. It runs superbly.

56367633871__87B77A0E-851C-4FA3-A1A9-BFF306B28FA5.jpg