AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 02-11-2018, 10:56 PM

I'm glad to see all these posts about daughters and grand daughters getting into Hi-Fi. Makes me have hope for my little girl!
Old 02-12-2018, 12:04 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

My son played saxophone in the high school band. He rushed home from practice in his junior year and started telling me about this amazing halftime show they were working on for the upcoming football season. As he was naming off the songs, I said I think I've heard some of those songs. He said, I doubt it dad, this is all new stuff.

I told him to follow me to the basement. After a few minutes of searching through my album collection, I pulled one from the shelf, cleaned it (much to his dismay) and started playing it. After several minutes of impatiently listening, he said - Hey, that's one of our songs! The album was Kansas - Point of No Return. He was stunned that I had an album with the song "Dust in the Wind" on it. Dust in the Wind was the theme for the halftime show that year.

From that point on, he would come down to the basement almost every night to see what I was playing. By the time he left for college, he could name almost every rock band on the planet and listened to all of them in his Honda Civic with subs shaking the entire neighborhood.

He recently purchased a pair of mint Klipsh La Scala's and is saving for a McIntosh MA252. His shelves of genre arranged CDs would impress all of us.

The other two kids listen to iPhones and think they are just fine...but thanks to Kanas, one still appreciates the CD.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
My son played saxophone in the high school band. He rushed home from practice in his junior year and started telling me about this amazing halftime show they were working on for the upcoming football season. As he was naming off the songs, I said I think I've heard some of those songs. He said, I doubt it dad, this is all new stuff.

I told him to follow me to the basement. After a few minutes of searching through my album collection, I pulled one from the shelf, cleaned it (much to his dismay) and started playing it. After several minutes of impatiently listening, he said - Hey, that's one of our songs! The album was Kansas - Point of No Return. He was stunned that I had an album with the song "Dust in the Wind" on it. Dust in the Wind was the theme for the halftime show that year.

From that point on, he would come down to the basement almost every night to see what I was playing. By the time he left for college, he could name almost every rock band on the planet and listened to all of them in his Honda Civic with subs shaking the entire neighborhood.

He recently purchased a pair of mint Klipsh La Scala's and is saving for a McIntosh MA252. His shelves of genre arranged CDs would impress all of us.

The other two kids listen to iPhones and think they are just fine...but thanks to Kanas, one still appreciates the CD.

Good story, gives me hope with my son, and daughter; carry on my wayward son

I had a pair of La Scalas somewhere around 1990, he will enjoy those!

Happy Listening!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post

Dust in the Wind is one of my all-time favourite songs- still gives me goosebumps!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:00 PM

I am still buying CD's when I can, but certainly not at Best Buy (I do miss old
Tower Records though). Hip Hop, Pop and New artists' sales are the ones that are going
to suffer because of the news, since that is what you mostly find in Target and
Best Buy these days.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 PM

I can't remember the last time I bought a CD at Best Buy. I'm certainly not against CDs, generally though if a release is available on vinyl that would be my first choice. CDs are still alive and well at the record stores here, both new and used. When I was in high school in the early 90's BB was one of my few go to places for CDs.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:26 AM

Where are 24bit hig res audio ?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Where are 24bit hig res audio ?
I am not sure I am following you, but this is a good place to start if you are wondering where to procure 24 bit recordings:
https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...ution+download

I prefer HD Tracks for downloads
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 02-18-2018, 10:34 PM

I'm buying more CD's than ever before. If anything may the trend (of discontinuing CD's on the whole eventually) continue, as prices will probably continue to go down.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
I'm buying more CD's than ever before. If anything may the trend (of discontinuing CD's on the whole eventually) continue, as prices will probably continue to go down.
History is bound to repeat itself. It happened with vinyl and R2R tapes. First they will be discounted, then disappear all together and then the mass hysteria and “collecting” will begin among the newer wave of audiophiles.

Today I looked to replace a Tom Petty Live Anthology LP which I bought 5-6 years ago for $45 I believe. No where to be found but eBay for $1500... The vinyl is resurrected but not being mass produced like before.

Last edited by PHC1; 02-18-2018 at 10:58 PM.