AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-22-2018, 08:19 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
You will be fine with MT5 and C2200. The Sumiko Blue Point No.2 is high output moving coil, 2.5mV, which means you connect it to the MM input on your C2200. [emoji1303]
+1. If you decide to go with an LOMC in the future you can add a SUT (step up transformer) from folks like K&K http://www.kandkaudio.com/moving-coi...-step-up-kits/. Personally, I preferred the C2200 to the C2300. YMMV.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-22-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feinstei View Post
The MT-5 includes a Sumiko BluPoint 2 cartridge. This is a HIGH OUTPUT moviing coil cartridge. The 2200's moving magnet input will work just fine with the Sumiko BluPoint 2. I have an MT-5 (I have owned it for more than 2 years) and have played it through the C2200 and it sounds just fine.

The only problem that you'll have is that the BluPoint 2 kind of sucks. I had mine on the MT-5 for about 2 months hoping that it would "break in" but it always sounded awful. I hated its thin sound. Replaced it with a Shure V15 Type III and then with a Denon 103R both of which were rich sounding and tracked beautifully.

Eventually, due to Steve Hoffman's rave reviews of the MT-10 turntable, I found a McIntosh MT-10 cartridge on one of the audio trading sites that was brand new. The McIntosh MT-10 cartridge is really the ClearAudio Talismann 2 Gold cartridge with the McIntosh nameplate put on it. I paid about $800 for it. It is a fabulous match with the MT-5. It tracks the HiFiNews test record perfectly (none of my other cartridges could do that), has a beautiful balanced sound which excels especially for the human female voice. Playing large symphonic orchestral albums, it images perfectly with perfect placement of orchestral sections and balance. 60's rock & roll (Beatles, Hendrix, Cream, Who) are full but not boomy sounding. I cannot say enough about how great this combination is....

If you decide to take my suggestion and put a Talismann 2 Gold cartridge on your MT-5, buy it mail order from Europe and you'll save about $600. They also show up occasionally as McIntosh branded versions on E-Bay or some of the other audio sites. If you find a McIntosh branded version, make sure that you're getting the Talismann 2 Gold model and NOT the Talismann 1 model which McIntosh used for the early model MT-10's.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:11 AM

Thanks all for your valuable answers !

Fersntein, I "ll try your proposal.
And in the same time AC offered me a nice deal on the MP100.
Review in perspective....

Last edited by Blatrie; 03-23-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatrie View Post
Thanks all for your valuable answers !

Fersntein, I "ll try your proposal.
And in the same time AC offered me a nice deal on the MP100.
Review in perspective....
I had an MP100 that I've since traded in for the MP1100 (Audio Classics is probably selling you the one I traded in!!! It was a fine unit...). I'm currently considering selling the MP1100 for space considerations even though it is absolutely incredible in terms of a match with my MT-10 (Talismann 2 Gold) cartridge. I wouldn't pay more than $1400 for a used MP100.

Last edited by feinstei; 03-23-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:02 AM

Thanks colleague...

It's less than 1400
Old 03-24-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatrie View Post
Thanks colleague...

It's less than 1400
Excellent. Anything less than $1400 is a great deal, especially considering Audio Classic's excellence in customer service. It's a fine addition and will be a fine upgrade to your system, especially if you feed it with a good cartridge....