Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-03-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaefer11 View Post
Now you sound like a politician!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:19 AM

Hi
Have been reading your first post many times now but I'm still confused. I don't think that you can alter the reverberation time in your room with the MEN220 or any other device. Zero reverb time would mean anechoic chamber (no reflection). Best way is to measure the room with a room acoustic program (not only RTA, frequacy response) before and after changing the setup with MEN220. Then one could see what is really happening with the room. I do belive that MEN220 will change the peaks and deeps in the freq response but not the rest.

ARTA is a great room acoustic measurement program, you see everything here.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
Hi
Have been reading your first post many times now but I'm still confused. I don't think that you can alter the reverberation time in your room with the MEN220 or any other device. Zero reverb time would mean anechoic chamber (no reflection). Best way is to measure the room with a room acoustic program (not only RTA, frequacy response) before and after changing the setup with MEN220. Then one could see what is really happening with the room. I do belive that MEN220 will change the peaks and deeps in the freq response but not the rest.

ARTA is a great room acoustic measurement program, you see everything here.
Thanks
Hi,
I did not mean to say the RP1 changed the reverberation time in my room : only physical room treatment could achieve this. When you tap your hands, when you speak loud in the room, you're still hearing the terrible acoustic it has. But no more when the music plays, with the RP1 in the loop.
I don't know how it works ( and I don't care indeed... : in a great restaurant, I enjoy the meal, I don't mind to know how it was done, cause I don't cook myself. I'm not an electronic engineer, so I just don't care what is really happening in this box. Only the result matters to me ).
The music of my system, "treated" by the RP1, is now perfect. I don't hear the resonances, the reverberation, the brilliance, the echo my room makes when the RP1 is out of the loop. It looks like the RP1 is producing signals that cancel the sound effects of my room.
If you come to Paris one day, be sure to contact me. The effect is so striking in my room, it should become a demo room for the Room Perfect...
Cheers,
Jérôme
Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 AM

After 5 days with the RP1 set-up according to Mc and Ivan,
I can say for sure that the sound is much better now than following the "random" orientation that Lyngdorf recommends. The "forbidden" positions are the same in both manuals, but only McIntosh say that for all positions ( except the focus one ) the microphone should never face the speakers, and also mention to place the microphone in areas of high amounts of reflected sounds.
To paraphrase Alberto, the sound of my system in my poor acoustic room is now simply DELICIOUS.
I just DO NOT HEAR THE ROOM ANYMORE.
I'v been very tired since I reset the RP1 because I went to bed very very late.
The sound is completely addictive now.
The MEN 220 / Lyngdorf RP1 are a must for people who are into serious Hi-Fi, but can't build a perfect sounding room, whatever the reason could be ( price, wife....). This item should be first considered before any upgrade.
Cheers,
Jerome

Last edited by Jerome W; 05-06-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:52 AM

Hi
That is what you are saying, but I would like to see diffrencies in measurements. When you are playing music you still have the bad acoustic in your room. If you dont hear it (bad acoustics), it doesn't mean that it's not there or has been solved, acoustically. You need lots of energy convertion to ever see any major differecies before and after. This means that if you have roomperfect you don't need to treat the room, that I don't belive.

"It looks like the RP1 is producing signals that cancel the sound effects of my room." What do you mean by this??

If I come to Paris I will give you a call. As soon as my dealer is getting the MEN220 I will lend the unit and do some serious measurement and we will see how it turns out in my room. There is little or no info how it looks with or without the MEN220 or RP-1.

You are also very welcome to my house and see what I have been doing for the past four month, and I will explain to you how it works.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
Hi
"It looks like the RP1 is producing signals that cancel the sound effects of my room." What do you mean by this??
I do not know how it works either, but it does it by creating Filters. I can only assume that based on multiple Room Knowledge readings the unit creates filters that cut out boosted frequencies.
Jim
Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 AM

Hi,
I'm in the train right now...
If you go to the Lyngdorf site, you could find a link to a review where the author say that he spent more than 5000 dollars in room treatments ( pannels and so on...)
With the RP1, he tried to remove all the pannels from the room : He got the same sound with and without the pannels, with the RP1 in the loop !
So his conclusion was : if only I had known the RP1 before I bought all the pannels, I would have save money and wife problems. He sold all his pannels after that and bought the RP1 he had for review. I know it seems strange but I could do exactly the same.
I will wait until you get a unit for a demo in your home.
Thanks for the invitation.
Cheers
Jerome
Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Hi
OK, I will go to lyngdorf site and do some readings.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:27 AM

Hi
I have been reading this some time ago, it dosen't give me the answer I am looking for. Still no second independant room acoustics before and after.

I don't know what kind of treatment he had, no mention of that in the review.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 AM

I don't know if this helps, but my system has an inexpensive version of the Audyssey DSP that I use. It is probably quite different in execution from the Lyngdorf/McIntosh.

However, it creates "filters" that work in the time and frequency domain to eliminate errors in those domains caused by the room/speaker interaction as well as the speakers themselves.

Naturally it does not change the actual acoustics of the room. It works in those two areas, and maybe others, to counter the irregualrities. My take is that the better the room is to begin with, the processing power can be better utilized over a wider range. A worse room will use up processing power to correct fewer but more severe problems. So the closer the room is to perfect, the closer the processing will get you to perfect.

Hope this helps point you in a direction to explain your DSP's operation.