AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Integrated

Integrated All in one, Still in Style

Old 09-12-2012, 02:40 AM

This is a cool demo ...

Vitus Audio SCD-025 / SIA-025 Magico S5 Crystal Cable

[ame="http://youtu.be/drNkIg0S7kM"]Vitus Audio SCD-025 / SIA-025 Magico S5 Crystal Cable Absolute Dream at Absolute Hi End - YouTube[/ame]
Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Bodhisattva

I would have loved to have heard that set up. The Vitus SIA-025 & SCD-025 spinner are both awesome. I've been into that showroom & heard the S5's with Dartzeel amps with an AMG tt as source. In about 1 1/2 weeks i'm auditioning the same S5's with Boulder 1050 mono's & a Boulder 1010 pre. Can't wait!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Keep us updated Bodhi
Old 09-14-2012, 05:18 PM

CMALAK

Apologies for not replying sooner - lost track of this thread.

I have a modest, but to my taste, satisfying 2 channel system in a living room environment, not dedicated sound room. I was going for simplicity - e.g. high quality source(s), high quality integrated, and two reasonably full range speakers. I listen daily when not traveling on business for the small company that I own.

The VAC Sigma 160 integrated is the heart of my system. I use 2 primary sources. I have a TW Acustic Raven One turntable with Ortofon arm and Dynavector XX-2 MC cartridge for vinyl and a macbook/ ARC DAC8 combo for digital. Both are very natural sounding sources that approach what I hear when attending concerts at the new Kaufman Performing Arts Center in Kansas City or in any of the number of small jazz clubs in town.

I prefer vinyl and am impressed with the quality of the optional MC phonostage in Kevin Hayes', VAC owner and designer, integrated amp. It seems much more like a quality separate phono than an option to me.

Although, I considered going separates, I went with the integrated for simplicity and for a better integration with my living environment once I found out how good an integrated could sound with the VAC. Although not a power house, it seems to bat above its 85 watt rating to me. (My room is approx 15x22)

The system is connected with Audioquest cabling (Colorado ICs and Gibralter spkr) with the exception of a WSS phono cable with the TW table.

I have rotated a variety of speakers through this system. These include WLM Diva Monitor, Harbeth C7 ES3 monitors on Skylan stands with JL Audio F110 sub and currently Tannoy DC 10T full range floorstanding speakers. I enjoy the Tannoys the most but they are not without some faults. They have great tone, body, bass attack, natural sound with no fatigue, good human voice replication, etc but they are not the last word in speed, resolution of upper frequencies and they are not completely coherent from top to bottom to my ears. Very good for a sub 10K speaker pair though.

I have used these speakers with other electronics but when paired with the VAC, they are dramatically better in providing a holographic, 3 dimensional perspective as well as being able to pinpoint various instruments and voices in space, thus improving the illusion of listening to a live, "in the room", performance as opposed to a flat electronic representation. I attribute much of this to the VAC.

I plan on going to RMAF 12 next month and see what other options I may have for speakers. "May have a look at Wilson, Rockport, Nola, or others as an upgrade path, but I want to keep the VAC at the heart of things. Speaker choice is very individualistic and for whatever reason, brands such as Magico, Marten, Kharma, Thiel and such do not generally work for me, as they seem too thin, forward, strident, metallic and fatiguing after short listening periods ( I acknowledge that some of these experiences could have been system and room dependent). I know others find them exciting but to each their own. I gravitate toward a more natural sound that mimics what I hear in live, acoustic, unamplified music and that can be listened to for long duration without excessive stridency, sibilance, "hi-fi" effect sounding stuff. Again, this hobby has enough variety for all tastes, and each to their own.

BTW, thanks for the welcome to this forum. Although I only occasionally stop in, I am uniformly impressed by the collegiality of this group compared with the sometimes sophmoric and adversarial forums elsewhere on the net. Thank you for the hospitality.

Jim
Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 PM

Thanks Bodhi,

Sweet setup.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
CMALAK

Apologies for not replying sooner - lost track of this thread.

I have a modest, but to my taste, satisfying 2 channel system in a living room environment, not dedicated sound room. I was going for simplicity - e.g. high quality source(s), high quality integrated, and two reasonably full range speakers. I listen daily when not traveling on business for the small company that I own.

The VAC Sigma 160 integrated is the heart of my system. I use 2 primary sources. I have a TW Acustic Raven One turntable with Ortofon arm and Dynavector XX-2 MC cartridge for vinyl and a macbook/ ARC DAC8 combo for digital. Both are very natural sounding sources that approach what I hear when attending concerts at the new Kaufman Performing Arts Center in Kansas City or in any of the number of small jazz clubs in town.

I prefer vinyl and am impressed with the quality of the optional MC phonostage in Kevin Hayes', VAC owner and designer, integrated amp. It seems much more like a quality separate phono than an option to me.

Although, I considered going separates, I went with the integrated for simplicity and for a better integration with my living environment once I found out how good an integrated could sound with the VAC. Although not a power house, it seems to bat above its 85 watt rating to me. (My room is approx 15x22)

The system is connected with Audioquest cabling (Colorado ICs and Gibralter spkr) with the exception of a WSS phono cable with the TW table.

I have rotated a variety of speakers through this system. These include WLM Diva Monitor, Harbeth C7 ES3 monitors on Skylan stands with JL Audio F110 sub and currently Tannoy DC 10T full range floorstanding speakers. I enjoy the Tannoys the most but they are not without some faults. They have great tone, body, bass attack, natural sound with no fatigue, good human voice replication, etc but they are not the last word in speed, resolution of upper frequencies and they are not completely coherent from top to bottom to my ears. Very good for a sub 10K speaker pair though.

I have used these speakers with other electronics but when paired with the VAC, they are dramatically better in providing a holographic, 3 dimensional perspective as well as being able to pinpoint various instruments and voices in space, thus improving the illusion of listening to a live, "in the room", performance as opposed to a flat electronic representation. I attribute much of this to the VAC.

I plan on going to RMAF 12 next month and see what other options I may have for speakers. "May have a look at Wilson, Rockport, Nola, or others as an upgrade path, but I want to keep the VAC at the heart of things. Speaker choice is very individualistic and for whatever reason, brands such as Magico, Marten, Kharma, Thiel and such do not generally work for me, as they seem too thin, forward, strident, metallic and fatiguing after short listening periods ( I acknowledge that some of these experiences could have been system and room dependent). I know others find them exciting but to each their own. I gravitate toward a more natural sound that mimics what I hear in live, acoustic, unamplified music and that can be listened to for long duration without excessive stridency, sibilance, "hi-fi" effect sounding stuff. Again, this hobby has enough variety for all tastes, and each to their own.

BTW, thanks for the welcome to this forum. Although I only occasionally stop in, I am uniformly impressed by the collegiality of this group compared with the sometimes sophmoric and adversarial forums elsewhere on the net. Thank you for the hospitality.

Jim
Jim...thanks for your excellent response and intro to your system, its evolution, and your listening preferences. If I may suggest since you listed them that you definitely seek out an audition of Rockport speakers at RMAF. I think you will be pleasantly surprised and they seem to fit many of the sonic attributes you deem most important. They are not too difficult to drive and your VAC integrated should do them justice for sure. I hope this message finds you well and happy hunting at RMAF
Old 09-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Music Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
is the Rega Osiris. TAS Golden Ear Award 2010.

Here is a link to the review : Rega Isis CD Player & Osiris Integrated Amplifier (TAS 213) | AVguide
I could not agree more to everything stated.

How much do I love the Osiris ? Simple :
I could sell both my C1000P and my MC2301's and be very happy with this wonder....
I had one in my place for about 2-3 weeks, when the Snapper(s) were at Manley getting upgraded. It's a very nice piece, but to me not worth the money. For a SS pretty tubey, musical, but I would rather have the Snapper(s).
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Music Lover!

Now where talking, I've heard the Osiris and the Isis with some JA Pearl IIs, that was very impressive. I would definitely like to own the Isis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Yes Tommy,

I listened to the Osiris with the Isis, and with their new flagship speakers, the RS10.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
This is a cool demo ...

Vitus Audio SCD-025 / SIA-025 Magico S5 Crystal Cable

Vitus Audio SCD-025 / SIA-025 Magico S5 Crystal Cable Absolute Dream at Absolute Hi End - YouTube
thanks Joe it is really good
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I gravitate toward a more natural sound that mimics what I hear in live, acoustic, unamplified music and that can be listened to for long duration without excessive stridency, sibilance, "hi-fi" effect sounding stuff.
Jim
Hi Jim, thanks for your introduction & congratulations on a very nice system. I too have been in the pursuit of exactly the same type of sound as you described. Boulder, Ayon, Jorma, Vitus & Acoustic Revive all fit into that description. I would also include my Marten Coltrane Alto's.

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 10-29-2013 at 01:05 PM.