AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Now Playing . . . . . An LP

Songs of the Auvergne - arranged by Canteloube.

Netania Davrath, soprano

with Orchestra conducted by Pierre de la Roche

This is another blockbuster, near the top of almost all TAS, Stereophile, etc. lists as one of the best sounding LP's of all time. Recorded by Vanguard in 1972 and reissued by Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds in the early 2000's.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 05-22-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Now spinning:
Agustin Anievas
Brahms Paganini and Handel
Seraphim S - 60049
Very nice vinyl!
Regards,
Jim
Old 05-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Listener in Training

Don't mean to get too OT, but are any of you familiar with the work of the Estonian conductor Arvo Pärt? I'll be going to a concert of his 4th symphony in a couple weeks, and had not been acquainted with his music until booking the concert yesterday, which includes a violin concerto by Schumann. Pärt's music seems quite minimalist, much of it in a minor key; I don't want to generalize too much since I've only sampled clips online so far.

We'll be listening to this concert in the Hagia Eirene 6th century Byzantine church in Istanbul, just a few days after he will premiere another piece at the same venue.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 AM

Over the years I've heard, and listened to various compositions by Arvo Part, and what especially struck me was the fact that they were uniformly gentle and beautiful pieces of music. Most of what I've heard was spiritual in nature - choral and instrumental - and is music that makes you want to close your eyes and just listen, although, unless you are careful, it may lull you to sleep.

I've never heard his 4th Symphony, so I decided to do a little Google research - and discovered that it is a brand new symphony - debuted in January of 2009 in Los Angeles - and is known as his "Los Angeles" Symphony", although it has nothing to do with LA - but is, in fact, dedicated to "Mikhail Khodorkovsky, a Russian oil executive with political ambitions who was accused of fraud and now languishes in a Siberian prison."

The L.A. Times, in reviewing the debut of the 4th Symphony, stated that "at 37 minutes (the symphony is) considerably longer than the earlier ones – and exceedingly beautiful." See the review at A mystic in La La Land ? Arvo Pärt's "Los Angeles" Symphony | Concerts, Reviews | www.arvopart.info

Based on the music I've heard by Arvo Part, I think I would jump at the chance to attend a performance of his "new" symphony.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 05-23-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Don't mean to get too OT, but are any of you familiar with the work of the Estonian conductor Arvo Pärt? I'll be going to a concert of his 4th symphony in a couple weeks, and had not been acquainted with his music until booking the concert yesterday, which includes a violin concerto by Schumann. Pärt's music seems quite minimalist, much of it in a minor key; I don't want to generalize too much since I've only sampled clips online so far.

We'll be listening to this concert in the Hagia Eirene 6th century Byzantine church in Istanbul, just a few days after he will premiere another piece at the same venue.
Envy is not a strong enough word. You are very fortunate to experience his music live especially in a venue such as that!
Have a safe and enjoyable journey,
Jim
Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Listener in Training

Julian,
Thanks for the info and link. The Estonians have quite a bit of talent for such a small country. I report back when we return.
Paul
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 05-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
Envy is not a strong enough word. You are very fortunate to experience his music live especially in a venue such as that!
Have a safe and enjoyable journey,
Jim
Jim,
Thanks. It was trying to get into the venue that led me to the concert. The Hagia Eirene isn't open except for concerts, although I heard some tour guides at the Hagia Sophia can get you in there. Regardless, I feel very fortunate to be there for such a program.
Paul
Old 05-28-2010, 07:26 AM

To start the day I'm listening to a wonderful recording - an LP on Decca: LA FILLE MAL GARDEE - Music by Herold- arranged and conducted by John Lanchberry.

Performed by the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.

If you've never heard this, you really owe it to yourself to get a copy, either CD or LP - it is one of the most enjoyable pieces of classical music I've ever heard - and has been on the TAS Best-Of lists for many years.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:20 AM

Schubert - Symphony No. 8 (Unfinished Symphony) & Symphony No. 9 (The Great )

Hebert Von Karajan - Berlin Philharmonic (A Deutsche Grammophon LP)

Old 05-29-2010, 07:56 AM

Listening to: KIRI SINGS GERSHWIN (EMI CD #CDC-7 47454 2)

Kiri Te Kanawa with the New Princess Theater Orchestra conducted by John McGlinn -

If you like Gershwin - this is one of the good ones!