AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 12-07-2020, 03:21 AM

Default P10 high current connections

Hi,

What are the high current connections on the P10 really for?

I have always thought that these are for the components that draw the most power so I put my integrated amp and my subwoofer on them.

I was curious so I checked the manual and found the below:

"
Zones D and E on the Power Plant 10 are marked “HC” for High Current. These zones are identical to Zones A, B, and C in terms of the quality of regenerated, regulated AC output, however also enjoy the benefits of an in-rush limiter. When capacitors or tubes are powered down for extended periods, they drain of their capacitance. Upon powering these devices up, they can demand a lot of current to both turn the unit on and to reintroduce this capacitance. The result in one’s home can, with very high-wattage-draw devices, go so far as to trip the circuit breaker in the residence. An in-rush limiter, such as the one found on Zones D and E of your Power Plant 10, slows the pace of initial AC output. A more gradual rise in output voltage allows the connected device to power up fully while not over-taxing either the P10 nor the mains power.
"

I'm not sure I fully understand what that means :-)

What is a "in-rush limiter"?
What components should be connected to these outputs?
What do you connect to them?

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2020, 03:33 AM
Keeping it real since '75

It just means your system could be large enough that you trip a breaker when you turn it on, even though you arent overloading the circuit when using the system (after its powered up). If you plug the large power draw items into the High Current plugs, the P10 can slow the rate of the current such that your breaker doesnt pop...
Old 12-07-2020, 08:30 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Pretend you are below the Hoover damn and want a drink of water. Do you want the damn to break and all the water to rush out at once or do you pick up the garden hose and turn it on just a little bit.

Very large amps, especially tube amps require a large amount of current when first turned on. This is due to devices in the power supply which store energy. When these capacitors have reached a fully charged state the demand for current (your drink of water) subsides.

Many modern amps have a circuit which does this, some do not, your P10 has such a circuit also, to ensure the damn doesn't burst when you power-up your system.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:39 AM

So what devices would you connect to these specific outputs?
Old 12-07-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iefbo View Post
So what devices would you connect to these specific outputs?
So it would be for very large amps with very large power supplies. There is really nothing in else that can trip a circuit with in-rush current.

In-rush is the instant current it takes to charge up the capacitors. Think of it as a very large, rechargeable battery but one that recharges in less than a second...

Not that I have ever experienced that or heard of anyone else having that problem.

Don't worry and plug anything you want into it.

(On the other hand, I don't know how the P10 would differentiate the in-rush from transient power demand of a very large system but they probably thought the odds of someone actually running a system like that are statistically next to nothing.)
Old 12-08-2020, 01:52 PM

Can there be any impact on sound or power provided to the components when connected to the high capacity outputs?
Old 12-08-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iefbo View Post
Can there be any impact on sound or power provided to the components when connected to the high capacity outputs?
Should not be. If that design had obvious signs of sonic degradation, it would not have passed the listening tests from the engineers at PS Audio. They have decades, not years, of solid quality products and reputation. Have faith in your own ears as well.