AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Tannoy Speakers

Tannoy Speakers Over 80 Years of Audio Invention

Old 03-21-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The Tannoy Canterbury GRs have impressed me greatly. I've spend numerous hours at the dealer immersed in the special sound driven with base VTL pre and monoblocks via streaming.
I've hand clapped at the end of numerous tracks as they sounded so superb, virtually 10/10.

I only wish I could listen at home and compare them to my Sonus Faber Amati Futuras.

I also like the latest styling of the Tannoy Kingdom Royal.

Anthony
Nice! I hope you get a chance to enjoy them in your home someday Sometimes my girlfriend will clap with the recorded audience at the end of live tracks. It's a great feeling for me lol.

I've only had 'em 3.5 years, and nobody has reason to trust any of my "this is the last <such and such> I'm buying" assertions, but these could quite possibly be my "speakers for life". With the SE model I'd have these hot & cold sessions where they seemed stellar for a while, then "not so much" for a little bit, rinse repeat. It was also a bit of a struggle finding a steady system balance, mixing in new gear "now it's too bright" then "oops now it's too dark again!". 5 years of that. The SE were beautiful speakers, but a flawed gem for me. The GR have been 100% of the time a stellar experience from day #1. The GR naturally hits a "musical neutral" for me, as opposed to the SE which I felt were a bit on the dark side (hence the gear matching struggles). And they LOVE the VAC tube gear. Tannoy absolutely nailed it with the GR version.

Last edited by mulveling; 03-21-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:59 PM

Here's the system as of today. As you can see, my system has been hitting the gym pretty hard these few years, lol. Compare to the pic at start of this thread. Also the Canterburys have darkened nicely. Actually, I put in an order of three Critical Mass Systems Black Platinum shelves & spike sets for the tube amps & power conditioner. As you can see, the full CMS amp stands would eat up my path to the turntable - but the shelves and spikes alone will be a big upgrade. The VACs deserve better than hockey pucks! The Niagara sits on a lone Lovan Sovereign shelf, man those are truly awful racks to put a nice turntable on. The CMS stuff is so dreamy. Glad I got over the hump of "I would have to be CRAZY to spend $18K on a rack". So I guess I'm crazy

Last edited by mulveling; 03-21-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:33 PM

You’ve been busy. Must sound fabulous. I love Tannoy and am glad to see them still kicking.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
You’ve been busy. Must sound fabulous. I love Tannoy and am glad to see them still kicking.
Thank you sir! It sounds SO good now. This system is the default "weekend plans" for my girlfriend and me.

Didn't you own an Innovation Wood? I was mounting a new-to-me Ortofon A90 Friday, and noticed how loose the aluminum cylinders had gotten over time. Man that was my whole Friday evening tearing down the Innovation Master and figuring out how to re-tighten everything "just so". I'm gonna have to keep on top of this every few months or so.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:40 PM

My Innovation Wood went dead on me and is currently with Clear Audio for repair. You are the third person I have heard of that had to re-tighten everything. Mine seemed to be a Motor problem, which drove me nuts. I replaced it - I can’t figure out how to link to it from here, but search for the thread with the words “svelte 180” in the title to read about the replacement (yes, it weighs 180 pounds).
Old 04-22-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Did not notice this post so it is probably way too late nearly a year later to be useful but could be useful for others I guess. I had Sandringhams, Kensington and Canterburry SEs in a room that was approximately 15x18 feet. Do not hesitate to go with Canterburry but not much smaller than those dimensions as they do like some room to breathe. Both the Sandringhams and Kensingtons are absolutely fine in rooms even smaller.

All very enjoyable speakers with the Canterburry being able to provide a larger, more vivid and lifelike presentation with more palpable and focused imaging and purity of tone. Of course they were much more $ than the other pairs.
in your opinion, do you recommend the change from a kensington se to a canterbury se? where will the benefits be? they have the same midrange, only the woofer changes.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:21 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

tano.longo... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-28-2021, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tano.longo View Post
in your opinion, do you recommend the change from a kensington se to a canterbury se? where will the benefits be? they have the same midrange, only the woofer changes.
I ask for your help. I am in great difficulty and I am afraid of being overwhelmed. the room is 32 cubic meters
Old 04-28-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tano.longo View Post
I ask for your help. I am in great difficulty and I am afraid of being overwhelmed. the room is 32 cubic meters
32 cubic meters!? Exactly how many American bald eagle surface areas is that??

Ok, for real though that's what - something roughly like a room 12 feet x 10 feet x 8 feet, right? That is a very small room for speakers of the Kensington/Canterbury size! I would also have concerns of being overwhelmed, very much so. The Kensington might work OK, but I'd definitely look at something even more compact (e.g. Stirlings / Sandringhams). Also look monitor speakers (Fyne Audio makes some nice ones with the Tannoy-style dual concentric). Maybe even the Autograph Mini GR

Last edited by mulveling; 04-28-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:03 PM

So update - I have to sheepishly admit a friend lent me a Solid State amplifier last week, and I absolutely fell in love with it. It's been so long since I moved on from SS to tube amps, and I hadn't earnestly tried a SS amp in my system for over 10 years now. It sounds to me like...the Canterbury GR actually prefer a SS driver over tubes, as good as those 200iQ are

The amp is a Phison A2 120SE. I would never, in a million years, have come to this amp on my own and thought: "this is something I need to try". There is only sparse information about it online. But it's kinda blowing me away. It's also a phenomenal match with the new VAC Master preamp. Adrenaline and detail, without the fatigue (long & loud sessions no problem). It's like it woke up the system by an extra amount I didn't even know was there to be had. Because my primary cables were cut specifically for monoblocks, and this Phison is being run as a stereo unit, I've also had to run it much cheaper speaker cables ($1000 AQ Rocket 88 vs. my usual $10K double Kilimanjaro run) and unhook the supertweeters for my listening so far. Didn't seem to hold it back a bit!!

Well so much for being a lifelong tube snob (I still love them tho).

Here's the mess I've made of my system now - Phison is the silver box in the middle.

Last edited by mulveling; 04-28-2021 at 12:08 PM.