AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Default DX-5 DSD upgrade

Just picked up my DX-5 with the DSD upgrade, out of the box it sounded like a clock radio, now a few hours on I can hear there is more drive in the low frequencies.

I guess I will have to be patient for the soundstage to open up as it did before (or even better I hope)

Olaf
Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
Just picked up my DX-5 with the DSD upgrade, out of the box it sounded like a clock radio, now a few hours on I can hear there is more drive in the low frequencies. I guess I will have to be patient for the soundstage to open up as it did before (or even better I hope) Olaf
Same experience with QB-9 DSD. Give it 120 hours!!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:34 AM

Hi Blackstone,

It's getting better already, when I come back after being away for a few hours, the difference is noticable

But I will give it at least the 120 hours before final judgement ;-)
Old 06-14-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Hi Blackstone, It's getting better already, when I come back after being away for a few hours, the difference is noticable But I will give it at least the 120 hours before final judgement ;-)
If you like it now then no need. You can break in by listening of course if you like it. I stopped at 8 days. Placebo is always a risk with break in, but I am fairly confident my unit improved tremendously from 60 hours to 120 hours. I have never experienced a better example of break in than with this unit. That is empirical, even manufacturer might disagree it is necessary. Some people think break-in is luny, but the change here was one you could feel.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Just picked up my DX-5 with the DSD upgrade, out of the box it sounded like a clock radio, now a few hours on I can hear there is more drive in the low frequencies.

I guess I will have to be patient for the soundstage to open up as it did before (or even better I hope)

Olaf

I have my Dx5 out for upgrades now I am hoping it will be a improvement. I use mine mainly for DVDs music and movies. This is because the bulk of my music is records. I was remiss in doing upgrades on line and my Dx5 was having problems tracking a fair number of dvds . Anyone else had this problem with it. The Dx5 seems to be one of in playing cds and dvds of all types it fits in well with my needs a universal disc player seems to be a limited market . I find breaking seems to be needed with all things and 50 to 100 hours is a long time and a lot of playing to get gear to sound right.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 AM

Hi garth,

I hope you mentioned the problem to the Ayre dealer that is doing the upgrade, probably it will be the laser.
Anyway on the AVS forum there are also comments that some blu-rays were not playing.

If you use the analog outputs, the difference will be noticeable, especially there is more pressure in the low frequencies (probably because of the upgraded power supply), it took some time for the soundstage to open up, but now I am very happy with it.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Hi garth,

I hope you mentioned the problem to the Ayre dealer that is doing the upgrade, probably it will be the laser.
Anyway on the AVS forum there are also comments that some blu-rays were not playing.

If you use the analog outputs, the difference will be noticeable, especially there is more pressure in the low frequencies (probably because of the upgraded power supply), it took some time for the soundstage to open up, but now I am very happy with it.
Thanks for posting back I think I should have my DX5 back soon.

Garth
Old 08-08-2014, 06:15 PM

It's a bit of a guess as I stopped counting after 200 hrs, but now with around 300hrs the DX-5 DSD sounds great, very open and large soundstage, coherent sound, pin point placement, and with a lack of better wording the music flows with ease.

In streaming mode (USB) it is silent, and the DX-5 switches on automatically when a digital feed is received from the streamer. (and switches off when no signal)

The upgrade was definitly worth it, will be ineteresting to see what Ayre's next step will be regarding DA converters.

Olaf
Old 02-18-2015, 05:07 AM

Olaf,

Having the E-600 integrated amp, haven't you considered to pair it with any model of Accuphase source?

Any specific reason, other than the sound itself, to prefer the Ayre instead?
Old 02-18-2015, 05:31 AM

Hi marcossy,

I started out with a Accuphase E-550 / DP-500 combo, was very happy with that. Then I decided to buy a decent cable loom, took my gear to a shop and listened for a full day to make a decision on the cables. After choosing the cables the shop owner asked me if he could do one change in the set up. I said ok and he changed the DP-500 for the Ayre CX7e mp, this player completely outplayed the Accuphase DP-500 (and 2000,- less). I ended up leaving the Accuphase player in the shop and ordered a new Ayre CX7e mp.

After that I have always had a Ayre or Wadia player in my set up, never looked into Accuphase players again, to be fair a DP-700/720 might do a good job, but price is higher also.