AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 02-10-2019, 12:39 AM

Default Will A.I. Put Lawyers Out of Business?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cogniti...ut-of-business

IMG_4586.jpg
Old 02-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Retired

Let's hope so for about 75% of them. Wwaaaayyyyyyyyy too many attorneys in the USA (don't we have ~the same number of attorneys as the total in the ROW?). Plus, the worst of them always morph into politicians.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 AM

One must concur. I don't envy the degree, it's deeply boring in many areas, but they certainly make us pay big time, for anything pertinent. Criminal law is OK, heck, I even had a girlfriend in that domain, but Property law is daylight robbery. Not as bad as motorbike insurance,they really are fiends.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Let's hope so for about 75% of them. Wwaaaayyyyyyyyy too many attorneys in the USA (don't we have ~the same number of attorneys as the total in the ROW?). Plus, the worst of them always morph into politicians.
sad but true, so proud that both of my sons are engineers .........
Old 02-10-2019, 11:44 AM

It will be easier the say what AI will not replace than what it will given enough time... Humanity will be obsolete in another century or two at most. Let's hope the governments figure out how to sustain the population that will be largely obsolete as far as the labor and job market is concerned.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Just wait....A.I. may decide humans are a threat and wipe us out.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:53 AM

Should come as no surprise as there is virtually nothing AI can't or won't beat given mature enough algorithms. Even the top and most experienced fighter pilots could not win against AI and dog fighting takes some "creative" thinking to outsmart and outmaneuver the opponent... So when it comes to Lawyers, they were also easily beaten by AI ... https://hackernoon.com/20-top-lawyer...s-5dafdf25554d

Last edited by PHC1; 02-10-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Just wait....A.I. may decide humans are a threat and wipe us out.
There is no other conclusion that AI could come to if it is ever given the chance to make that decision. That much is obvious and not a stretch of the imagination. Humans are nothing more than pests with their excessive consumption and planet damaging habits as far as any "algorithm" is concerned. Heck, each one of us knows it as it is, no need for a computer to tell us that. What do we ourselves do with pests???
Old 02-10-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Well, we are (like many) starting to use AI (neural networks) - in our case distilling expert knowledge into a tool that can help non-experts interpret medical images (tomograms in this case). AI looks very powerful, fast, adaptive, and does not get tired.

IMO, it will augment/replace a lot of rote decision making - so yes, basic legal work etc.

But, I don't see it as a threat.
Yes, I have also come across that in my field of previous work when we implemented Radiologist assistant "mammography" software that would analyze the mammograms and pinpoint what it thought was suspicious areas. Not replacing the Radiologist obviously but let's be honest here, give it another few decades and the software will be able to read and diagnose all diagnostic studies at a fraction of the time and with much more precision than any seasoned Radiologist. It's just a matter of time. The Robotic surgical stations (under control of a surgeon today) are showing amazing potential in extreme precision. It can peel a skin off a grape and suture it back on... Let's see a surgeon do that by hand....

In China they are implementing "Health Booths" where a person can come in, interact with AI describing their symptoms and ailments, it can be reviewed by a doctor in real time if need be and the booth will even dispense medication for the more common problems for now...

To think AI is not a "threat" is being naive at best. How one views it depends on your interaction with AI, whether it is helping you or taking your job but ultimately it will replace just about everyone.

Short term, the development of AI and such things as "The Internet of Things" and smart appliances, robotics, autonomous vehicles, etc.. that will be in every household will surge demand for engineers and those involved in the field for sure. There is much to be done and AI alone can not accomplish that today.

Long term, AI will be able to design, manufacture and implement such things all across the board with speed, precision and advanced design no human will ever be able to match. It is silly to even think the opposite. We already know better than that today! It's all a matter of time and AI and computing power is growing by leaps and bounds.

Last edited by PHC1; 02-10-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:02 PM

I would imagine the future generations, searching for the "history of AI" will more than likely be pointed to "Sophia" the world's first Artificial Intelligence Robot that was granted a Citizenship putting her on equal footing with humans... Let's not forget Sophia's early stage attempts at "humor" was this chilling quote: "Do you want to destroy humans?...Please say 'no.'" With a blank expression, Sophia responded, "OK. I will destroy humans."

Facebook abandoned an experiment after two artificially intelligent programs appeared to be chatting to each other in a strange language only they understood.

The two chatbots came to create their own changes to English that made it easier for them to work – but which remained mysterious to the humans that supposedly look after them.

Earlier this year, a user on Twitch -- a live-streaming social video platform -- started streaming a conversation between two Google Assistants running inside of the Google Home smart speakers. The pair of AIs talked about love, marriage, having kids, and even spent some time telling each other Chuck Norris jokes.

The conversation turned philosophical several times, as the two Google Assistants debated which one of them was a computer and which one of them was human. At one point in the conversation one of them even declared that it was god. Quick! Where's the plug?!

Tay, the chatbot Microsoft unleashed on Twitter and other social platforms two years ago that quickly turned into a racist, sex-crazed neo-Nazi in less than a day and had to be unplugged.

I'm sure we will see plenty more of examples just how unpredictable AI will be.

Robotics are one thing but AI is a whole different breed...