AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 11-05-2018, 05:32 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

I see that Anniversary on Audiogon is 220V and located in East Java.

Wrt the huge Teflon caps in the 40, just be aware of potential hard to find replacements; I would talk with ARC before commiting.

Review of Ref 10 with v. brief comparison to Anniversary and 5SE, HERE.

When you consider the Ref 6 linestage is $14k, either the 40th or the Ref 10 look really (really) good.

Last edited by tima; 11-05-2018 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
I agree that the Anniversary is different in character than the Ref 10. Some would say the Anniversary edition is better and I understand that position.
I used a 10 percent better example which is personal to me and may be overstated. But, in fact, the sounds of the 2 are very close and largely a matter of tonality with the sound of the 10 being slightly more transparent but possibly losing some magic of the Anniversary. In fact, Oddeophile hits on an interesting topic of the coupling capacitors. For a while, the capacitors in the Anniversary edition were creating problems according to some rumors but undeniably could not be sourced by ARC as the manufacturer could not produce them fast enough and/or went out of business. I always felt that ARC made some changes on the Ref10 due to its inability to source the capacitors used in the Ref 40.
In any event, I would opt for the Ref 40 if there is any significant price difference. Unless ARC makes a preamp that is significantly better, I too will keep my Ref 40 for years to come.
I remember reading somewhere that ARC were suffering too many failures with the Teflon caps from that supplier - the supplier still exists (the name I can only vaguely recall - I think it might have been ASC capacitors) and did not go out of business. The TRT Gold coloured Stealth caps (these are not Teflon but a hybrid of some sort) were substituted instead due to the number of failures. ARC have been using Stealth caps since at least the LS25.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:42 PM

One thing I will say about Audio Research, they don't seem to worry about new products (in a lower line up) overshadowing older flagship products.

I found the LS28 to be on par with my Audio Research Reference 5SE - and we had an Audio Research guy who privately thinks it might be slightly better.

I have nothing but amazement from the Ref 6. And I just can't fathom having a second box for the preamp.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:07 PM

I feel same way about performance of Ref 6,I don't spending additional 15 K would make a significant sonic improvement;yes Ref 10 is better but not by a long shot.

equipment:
AR160M>Ref 6>Oppo205/MCD350>Focal ScalaV2>AQ oak cables,interconnects