AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 08-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Helena Basilova - A Fearful Fairy Tale

Qobuz 24/96

Music from Bagri, Myaskovsky, Firsova, Prokofiev, Janáček (with Maya Fridman), Schnittke, and Medtner.

Listening to Qobuz, but will certainly buy the DXD 5.0 download when my system will be ready!

I just played this this morning, it’s an excellent recording.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-26-2019, 04:40 PM
Life is beautiful

Manuel Blasco De Nebra - Piano Sonatas
Javier Perianes
Qobuz 24/44.1

I recently heard a couple of pieces on the radio in my car and fell in love with them immediately.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-27-2019, 02:46 PM
Life is beautiful

Lully - Muffat - Marais - The Versailles Revolution
Indianapolis Baroque Orchestra, Barthold Kuijken
Qobuz 24/44.1

Released in Nov. '18, this was nevertheless recording of the month on our classical radio Klara.
It evokes the rich musical culture in Versailles at the time of Louis XIV.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Life is beautiful

Annelien Van Wauwe - Belle époque
Orchestre National de Lille, Alexandre Bloch
Qobuz 24/96

Wonderful release with the Belgian Annelien Van Wauwe.
We've seen her live, she's top!

Belgian clarinettist Annelien Van Wauwe revives the golden glow of a bygone age on her Pentatone debut album "Belle époque", together with the Orchestre National de Lille and its music director Alexandre Bloch. The programme is built around treasures of French turn-of-the-century music such as Debussy’s Première Rhapsodie, Pierné’s Canzonetta and Widor’s Introduction et Rondo (the latter two in arrangements by Jelle Tassyns). "Belle époque" also offers works that display a spiritual kinship to the age, such as Brahms’s First Clarinet Sonata, arranged by Luciano Berio, and a world-premiere recording of Paris-based contemporary composer Manfred Trojahn (Rhapsodie pour clarinette et orchestre).
Annelien van Wauwe is a former BBC New Generation Artist and winner of the renowned Borletti-Buitoni Trust Award 2018. © Pentatone
Old 09-01-2019, 05:30 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Philip Glass - Saxophone Quartet (arr. for String Quartet - String Quartets 6 & 7
Brooklyn Rider

Ed, where are you?
Playing this (finally bought it because it's not on the streaming services).
I learnt to appreciate this composer the last years.

Having another listen.
Easily accessible yet complex and ingenious chamber music.
But like Ed wrote: probably not everybody will like this.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Pierre Guédron - Le Consert des Consorts
Le Poème Harmonique, Vincent Dumestre

One of our favourite discs.
Claire Lefilliâtre must have one of the most beautiful and flexible voices of today.
I remember when I heard her live, she touched me deeply.

Oh my, when Mrs Lefilliâtre sings, it goes so deep!
Old 09-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Life is beautiful

Streaming this again via Qobuz 24/192.
It is wonderful!

Old 09-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Life is beautiful

Bach - Violin Concertos - Sinfonias - Overture - Sonatas
Isabelle Faust, violin
Akademie Für Alte Musik Berlin, Bernhard Forck
Qobuz 24/96

I have listened to this in my car, from my iPhone through ear buds, in my practice and now here in the living room.
It is superb!
Faust and the Berliners really breathe fresh air through these old warhorses.

After the double album of the Violin and Harpsichord Sonatas with Kristian Bezuidenhout, here is the next instalment in a Bach recording adventure that began nine years ago with a set of the Sonatas and Partitas. Isabelle Faust, Bernhard Forck and his partners at the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin have explored a multitude of other works by Bach: harpsichord concertos, trio sonatas for organ, instrumental movements from sacred cantatas etc. All are revealed here as direct or indirect relatives of the three monumental Concertos BWV 1041-43. This fascinating achievement is a timely reminder that the master of The Well-Tempered Clavier was also a virtuoso violinist! © harmonia mundi
Old 09-02-2019, 03:26 PM
Life is beautiful

Comparing to one of my all time favourites of these works:

Bach - Violinkonzerte BWV 1041-1043
La Petite Bande, Sigiswald Kuijken

Performances are equally top notch, but this recording clearly suffers from digititis (DDD from 1981).
I think that Faust will be my choice number one for now.

Edit: Kuijken is truly magnificent and regarding artistry he wins on the BWV 1042.

Last edited by bart; 09-02-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Bach - Solo Cantatas for alto / for bass - German Cantatas before Bach
Collegium Vocale Gent, Philippe Herreweghe

My God, are we blessed here in Flanders, with such good Bach conductors!
Kuijken, Herreweghe, geniuses with their own style.
Friday night, we attended the first night of the Bach weekend in Brugge, with 2 fantastic concerts: Collegium Vocale with Cantatas of course, in the Concert Hall, and then the 2 viola da gamba players of the orchestra doing some Bach, Schenck, and Sainte-Colombe in the Chamber Music Hall.
We drove home totally energized!
Although it was well past midnight.

This box set contains 3 CDs.
One with Cantatas for solo bass. Peter Kooy is very good here.
One with Cantatas for solo alto. Andreas Scholl is simply fabulous, and far better than Robin Blaze (Suzuki, Bach Collegium Japan).
The 3rd: Before Bach: Tunder, Kuhnau, Bruhns, Graupner.

Revisiting this box set.