AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 PM

Could Ravel have written such a haunting and beautiful piece if it were not for the dementia and/or bipolar condition he suffered from? It astounds me every time I listen to it, and it never gets old.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
I can never have too many Beethoven symphony cycle sets and I just got another:

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1-9 (complete)
Gwyneth Jones, Tatiana Troyanos, Jess Thomas, Karl Ridderbusch
with Konzertvereinigung Wiener Staatsopernchor
Egmont Overture, Op. 84
Coriolan Overture, Op. 62
The Creatures of Prometheus Overture, Op. 43
Fidelio Overture Op. 72c
Leonore Overture No. 3, Op. 72b
Wiener Philharmoniker, Karl Böhm

This is the cycle from the early 1970s that includes the benchmark performance for the Pastoral. Yes, in light of recent period releases this sounds a little old-fashioned and Böhm does like slower tempos, but this stands up well as a traditional interpretation in the Austro-German tradition.

I just heard disc #2 (of 6) and this Eroica was strongly conceived. The recorded sound is pretty good and makes for satisfying listening. Next up: the seventh.

This is a bargain for $25.
Disc 5 today which includes Symphonies #7 & #8. Big, bold sound. Gramophone called the 7th in this set "superb" and I agree. Recorded sound is fine.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Life is beautiful

CD 10 from a box that is always in rotation here:

Beethoven - Piano Trio No. 4 & 5 - 10 Variations on Müller's Song 'Ich bin der Schneider Kakadu'

Recorded in '69-'70 with her husband Daniel Barenboim on the piano and Pinchas Zukerman on the violin.
I play Jacqueline du Pré at least once a month, she's that good.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Life is beautiful

Maria Callas - The Live Recitals
EMI 10-CD box

This has to be consumed in moderate portions.
Her voice is so strong that my wife and I simply can't bear more than one recital at the time.
Don't expect top notch sound, this is live music from (mostly) the fifties.
But expect one of the most beautiful and haunting voices of all times.

CD 2: Athens '57
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

I'm still lurking and purchasing from the suggestions, but I am currently going thru my non Classical vinyl collection to cull the herd so to speak. Just wanted to say Hi to all my Classical Friends!
Regards,
Jim

Ps. I do have a lot of 60 Pristine RCA shaded dog Mono's coming that should be very interesting!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
I'm still lurking and purchasing from the suggestions, but I am currently going thru my non Classical vinyl collection to cull the herd so to speak. Just wanted to say Hi to all my Classical Friends!
Regards,
Jim

Ps. I do have a lot of 60 Pristine RCA shaded dog Mono's coming that should be very interesting!
Hi Jim!
Don't stay away too long.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
I'm pleased that you like it. 70 minutes of such sorrow in one sitting is a bit much, though!

Listening to it again, and it is absolutely no punishment.
It has a sweet melancholy, and leaves you with a warm and tender feeling...
I guess getting older does mellow the hard edges around a person...?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 AM

Default Biber: Missa Salisburgensis

This morning I'm enjoying a joyful ecclesiastic bombast.

Biber: Missa Salisburgensis
Gabrieli Consort and Players & Musica Antiqua Köln, Paul McCreesh & Reinhard Goebel

What a great way to start the week. According to an Amazon description, "the Missa Salisburgensis for 53 parts in eight separate choirs, often called "the Mahler 8th of the baroque," is by far the most grandiose work composed before the 18th century."

A bit over-the-top music to celebrate Salzburg's 1,100th anniversary back in 1682. The religious leaders there thought they were really great and wanted music to confirm that.

This performance was recorded in an English cathedral with reverberation similar to that of the Salzburg cathedral. The perspective is a bit distant, but it sounds real and satisfying.

Here is a picture of the Salzburg cathedral to give you a sense of the space.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Life is beautiful

Fauré - Requiem, Pavane, Élégie, Super flumina Babylonis, Cantique de Jean Racine
Choeur de l'Orchestre et Orchestre de Paris, Paavo Järvi

This is a wonderful blu-ray.
Excellent singing, playing, conducting.
My heart melts when I see and hear the beautiful soprano Chen Reiss sing Pie Jesu...
Matthias Goerne is one of the best baritones of the moment, and Eric Picard plays a beautiful Élégie for cello and orchestra.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
This morning I'm enjoying a joyful ecclesiastic bombast.

Biber: Missa Salisburgensis
Gabrieli Consort and Players & Musica Antiqua Köln, Paul McCreesh & Reinhard Goebel

What a great way to start the week. According to an Amazon description, "the Missa Salisburgensis for 53 parts in eight separate choirs, often called "the Mahler 8th of the baroque," is by far the most grandiose work composed before the 18th century."

A bit over-the-top music to celebrate Salzburg's 1,100th anniversary back in 1682. The religious leaders there thought they were really great and wanted music to confirm that.

This performance was recorded in an English cathedral with reverberation similar to that of the Salzburg cathedral. The perspective is a bit distant, but it sounds real and satisfying.

Here is a picture of the Salzburg cathedral to give you a sense of the space.

Carlos, I looked it up, as I adore Biber.
But it has become very expensive.
I found this other SACD, which also gets high praise: