AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6601  
Old 09-30-2021, 12:48 PM
Analog Addict's Avatar
Analog Addict Analog Addict is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHamp View Post
Interesting, I hadn't thought about rolling rectifiers in the 2030 - mine came with a 5U4G, but maybe I should try some others. I will be interested to hear your collective thoughts on how the various rectifiers impact sonics.
You might get a smaller voltage drop for a 5AR4 vs a 5U4, but does that translate into anything meaningful seen by the driver tube/01A? Perhaps it might potentially protect against voltage sag in the power supply, but I've never heard any of Dennis' builds have this problem, especially in a pre amp, which shouldn't be a current hog. The 01A is only going to draw 2-3 mA of plate current anyway, not even close to the 40mA limitation of a VR75.
Reply With Quote
  #6602  
Old 10-02-2021, 06:09 AM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNDave View Post
I have a Decware Ultra preamp that uses VR tubes and changing the rectifier tube makes a difference. That preamp responds very well to type 80 rectifiers.
The Decware is likely a totally different circuit.
Reply With Quote
  #6603  
Old 10-02-2021, 06:11 AM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
You might get a smaller voltage drop for a 5AR4 vs a 5U4, but does that translate into anything meaningful seen by the driver tube/01A? Perhaps it might potentially protect against voltage sag in the power supply, but I've never heard any of Dennis' builds have this problem, especially in a pre amp, which shouldn't be a current hog. The 01A is only going to draw 2-3 mA of plate current anyway, not even close to the 40mA limitation of a VR75.
+1 I'll try an 80 and post my subjective opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #6604  
Old 10-02-2021, 02:55 PM
Bombadil Bombadil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 609
Default

Does Dennis use high-end power cables on his amps and preamps in his home?

I have sometimes upgraded stock power cables with modestly-priced Belden 14/3 shielded cables. Don't hear any difference but figure the better shielding can't hurt. Tried a few higher priced cables but also didn't hear a difference.

Lew Johnson, of Conrad-Johnson, once told me that under normal household conditions he couldn't imagine how a power cable could make a difference in any of his products. He said that his power supplies would filter any noise picked up by a power cable in a home environment.
Reply With Quote
  #6605  
Old 10-03-2021, 08:59 AM
FloridaBoy FloridaBoy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
Does Dennis use high-end power cables on his amps and preamps in his home?

I have sometimes upgraded stock power cables with modestly-priced Belden 14/3 shielded cables. Don't hear any difference but figure the better shielding can't hurt. Tried a few higher priced cables but also didn't hear a difference.

Lew Johnson, of Conrad-Johnson, once told me that under normal household conditions he couldn't imagine how a power cable could make a difference in any of his products. He said that his power supplies would filter any noise picked up by a power cable in a home environment.
I don't hear much difference with tube gear, but do with digital components.
Reply With Quote
  #6606  
Old 10-03-2021, 01:06 PM
DRHamp DRHamp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 20
Default

Has anyone actually used a USAF 596 rectifier in one of Dennis's amps? I happen to have one and can't find out much about it. I have read in another forum that it's equivalent to a 5U4, but that's not confirmed. My curiosity is peaked.
Reply With Quote
  #6607  
Old 10-03-2021, 01:09 PM
maro maro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 25
Default

I’ve had significant improvements with Oyaide power cords on both Inspire and Cary tube preamps/amps. The price range of the cords is in the $300 to $800 range. Seems like Oyaide 004 ends go well. Add an Oyaide Black Mamba to the preamp and the focus and soundstage will become more clear and depth will open up. On the amp an Airsine with 004 ends will crank up the resolution and hugely increase the slam. You won’t hear much of this though if you’re using contractor grade outlet. Here Oyaide comes through again. For a warm lush sound the SWO-GX outlet works good. Use the R-1 outlet mor a more neutral sound. Currently the preamp plugs into GX and the amp into the R1. These upgrades are well worth it IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #6608  
Old 10-04-2021, 09:15 AM
nhparrot nhparrot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHamp View Post
Has anyone actually used a USAF 596 rectifier in one of Dennis's amps? I happen to have one and can't find out much about it. I have read in another forum that it's equivalent to a 5U4, but that's not confirmed. My curiosity is peaked.
I have and it's sonic signature in my amp is similar to a 5U4. Although it has a steampunk look

Last edited by nhparrot; 10-04-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6609  
Old 10-04-2021, 10:15 AM
DRHamp DRHamp is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhparrot View Post
I have and it's sonic signature in my amp is similar to a 5U4. Although it has a steampunk look
Awesome, thanks - I'll give it a go. It does have a very interesting look "steampunk" is a good description.
Reply With Quote
  #6610  
Old 10-05-2021, 12:38 AM
Isaacc7 Isaacc7 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 151
Default

Hey Straitwire, how difficult would it be to rewire the input tube of the KT88 firebottle to 12v? Or better yet, to put in a switch to choose between 6v and 12v? Is it the kind of thing that a competent tech could do?

I've emailed Dennis about the possibility of buying a new amp with that capability but have not heard anything back. I assume he is too busy with new toys to worry about redesigning a boring part of an existing amp lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2022 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase