AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 10-17-2021, 11:49 AM

Does anyone know the what the frequency extremes are of these amplifiers and pre amps?
Curious if adding a super tweeter such as a Batpure Take T. They seem to work form 20k to 150k. As long as my source wasn’t CD would my amp pass frequencies that high?

Cheers
Old 10-17-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHamp View Post
I have -- a pair of RCA (Silvertone labeled) globes -112A and a matched pair of a Cunningham CX-112-1 and a Ken-Rad UX-112-A. They sound very similar and are very close to the 71As that I have tried. I used the 5U4GB that came with the pre. Earlier, I tried a Cunningham 80 with a pair of CX-301As that I liked very much and maybe my favorite set in my system.
For reference, I stream Qobuz to a Yggdrasil DAC to the LP-2030 to a A Eaton 45 SET. (I should have the KT88 SEP in a week or so). Speakers are Omega CAMs.
I've pretty much tried all of the allowed output tubes in the LP-2030 and have found them all to be just different degrees of excellent.
I have an RCA globe 80 and will give it a try with 301A's.

I'm streaming Amazon Music to an MHDT Orchid, LP-2030 to Inspire 45/2a3 to Omega 10" Alnico monitors.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonatsea View Post
Does anyone know the what the frequency extremes are of these amplifiers and pre amps?
Curious if adding a super tweeter such as a Batpure Take T. They seem to work form 20k to 150k. As long as my source wasn’t CD would my amp pass frequencies that high?

Cheers
Most of the iron Dennis uses is able to pass frequencies much higher than 20KHz. I heard him chortling about 100KHz awhile back. The more important question is do your ears hear anything higher than 20KHz or less if you're the typical adult male over 40?...
Old 10-17-2021, 10:48 PM

Most LPs and phono cartridge combinations produce very little above 20K, often not much above 15K-18K. This combined with the rolloff in our ability to hear high frequencies means that the CD cutoff at 22K has no real impact upon most of us.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:16 AM

Apparently its more about the added harmonics of the upper frequencies that reenforce the whole audible band. At $50 a pair they seem like a cheap tweak. Coherent Audio actually incorporates them into most of their speakers.
Good to know my output transformers wont be the limiting factor.

Cheers
Old 10-18-2021, 11:20 AM

Has anyone ran Tekton speakers with their Inspire? I have been eyeing the Perfect SET 12 for some time now. The Mid/high tweeter array intrigues me a bit…

Cheers
Old 10-18-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHamp View Post
I have -- a pair of RCA (Silvertone labeled) globes -112A and a matched pair of a Cunningham CX-112-1 and a Ken-Rad UX-112-A. They sound very similar and are very close to the 71As that I have tried. I used the 5U4GB that came with the pre. Earlier, I tried a Cunningham 80 with a pair of CX-301As that I liked very much and maybe my favorite set in my system.
For reference, I stream Qobuz to a Yggdrasil DAC to the LP-2030 to a A Eaton 45 SET. (I should have the KT88 SEP in a week or so). Speakers are Omega CAMs.
I've pretty much tried all of the allowed output tubes in the LP-2030 and have found them all to be just different degrees of excellent.
I replied to your PM here at Audio Circle.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Has anyone ran Tekton speakers with their Inspire? I have been eyeing the Perfect SET 12 for some time now. The Mid/high tweeter array intrigues me a bit…

Cheers
I have also looked into those speakers. The tweeter array is some really interesting engineering. The only thing to watch out for is you need to be sitting a little ways away from the speakers (10-12 feet maybe?) for the drivers to integrate into a coherent sound.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Cheers
Have never heard them, but can say that Tekton purposefully inflates their sensitivity specs. Instead of measuring their speakers out in the middle of a deadened room, they place them into the corners of a live room. This results in every one of their speakers being spec'ed at 5 to 6 dB more sensitive than they really are.

Every time they get measured in standard lab conditions, the measurements are that much lower. So the SET 12 being spec'ed at 96 dB means that it really is 90 or 91 dB.

This is also quite evident in those speakers with just one woofer. The woofer they use is spec'ed at 90 dB by the manufacturer. So the speaker can't be more efficient than that.

There is no industry standard or monitoring of these specs. And since they actually can measure at 96 dB under some condition, they can get away with this.

They may sound great.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
I have also looked into those speakers. The tweeter array is some really interesting engineering. The only thing to watch out for is you need to be sitting a little ways away from the speakers (10-12 feet maybe?) for the drivers to integrate into a coherent sound.
Thanks, I didn’t realize that distance would be critical, but I guess with a large mid array that makes sense.