AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 04-23-2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
Lars I recently got a pair of HL5+, as I work on tuning them in I found my self listening to some Led Zeppelin, JC Mellencamp, Pink Floyed amoung others this past weekend and it made me remember this post. Just wanted to tell you that I was pleasantly impressed with the sound. I’ve heard and love the 40.2’s but I didn’t want to spend that much, however I would recommend them. My HL5 sound great but i feel that the 40’s will sound even better especially if you have a large area. The detail and vocals on these speakers are exceptional.
Cobgrats! I am enjoying hearing these success stories.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:50 AM

I have a pair of C7ES3s and my musical tastes have evolved from mainly rock back in the 70s to mostly jazz today. Every so often I'll get the itch the listen to some Cream or Hendrix etc. and I think those bands sounds great through my speakers.

I truly can't imagine why anyone would think that Harbeths don't sound good playing rock music.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 AM

"I truly can't imagine why anyone would think that Harbeths don't sound good playing rock music.-Steve "

^^^

Old 05-02-2019, 04:34 PM

Incoming Tiger Ebony 40.2's, along with Skylan stands, arriving tomorrow afternoon...

Tonight I'll open up the Marantz PM-10 and SA-10 and get them in place.

IC cabling will be Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7, for now. Speaker cables (temporarily) will be a cable made of cryo'd (9 gauge per pole) Mogami 3104 wire with banana plugs, until I demo some newer cables I've been interested in hearing. Going forward, they'll make a nice point of comparison versus higher priced offerings, though. Power cables will be some of my older Furutech Nanoflux cables. I've got a few extra since changing my main system around.

In late March, I ran four 20 amp dedicated runs to new outlets because it was easy to do based on the location in the room and the panel box in the basement. I used the new-ish Audience Hidden Treasure in wall wire and Hidden Treasure outlets.
By doing this, I don't have to get any type of power distributor which is how I justified the cost but even more so, hassle of running the lines. Since it's a small system, I'll be able to separate the sources and integrated amp from each other.

I was supposed to have a Bluesound Node 2i, by now, but my local Bluesound dealer in NJ can't seem to get one despite Amazon and Music Direct having them in stock. I'm trying to give the business to the local dealer but I'm ready to give up, order from Amazon, and have it in 24 hours given I asked the dealer to order one over a month ago. I tried, right?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 05-02-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Incoming Tiger Ebony 40.2's, along with Skylan stands, arriving tomorrow afternoon...

Tonight I'll open up the Marantz PM-10 and SA-10 and get them in place.

IC cabling will be Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7, for now. Speaker cables (temporarily) will be a cable made of cryo'd (9 gauge per pole) Mogami 3104 wire with banana plugs, until I demo some newer cables I've been interested in hearing. Going forward, they'll make a nice point of comparison versus higher priced offerings, though. Power cables will be some of my older Furutech Nanoflux cables. I've got a few extra since changing my main system around.

In late March, I ran four 20 amp dedicated runs to new outlets because it was easy to do based on the location in the room and the panel box in the basement. I used the new-ish Audience Hidden Treasure in wall wire and Hidden Treasure outlets.
By doing this, I don't have to get any type of power distributor which is how I justified the cost but even more so, hassle of running the lines. Since it's a small system, I'll be able to separate the sources and integrated amp from each other.

I was supposed to have a Bluesound Node 2i, by now, but my local Bluesound dealer in NJ can't seem to get one despite Amazon and Music Direct having them in stock. I'm trying to give the business to the local dealer but I'm ready to give up, order from Amazon, and have it in 24 hours given I asked the dealer to order one over a month ago. I tried, right?
Congrats you’re going to love those speakers or at least I know I do, you’ll probably need some damping for the stands, I used kitty litter others have used rice or sand. Looks like your going to have a rocking summer...👍🏼
Old 05-02-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Congrats you’re going to love those speakers or at least I know I do, you’ll probably need some damping for the stands, I used kitty litter others have used rice or sand. Looks like your going to have a rocking summer...[emoji1360]

Thanks! I can’t wait to get them.
I was reading about the different options for filling the stands.
I think kitty litter is the manufacturer recommended filler.
That’s what I’m going to look at first as I had a particular variety in mind. A trip to the pet store will probably happen tomorrow.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

Old 05-02-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Thanks! I can’t wait to get them.
I was reading about the different options for filling the stands.
I think kitty litter is the manufacturer recommended filler.
That’s what I’m going to look at first as I had a particular variety in mind. A trip to the pet store will probably happen tomorrow.
I found it to be the more affordable option, Walmart had a large bag for a low price. I strongly recommend not to do the fills indoors, it gets messy.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I found it to be the more affordable option, Walmart had a large bag for a low price. I strongly recommend not to do the fills indoors, it gets messy.

I’m looking at one of the silicone gel litter varieties for the reason that it doesn’t attract pests, to the best of my knowledge.

One of the brands that I zeroed in on was Fresh Step Premium Crystals - no clay, no paper, wood, or food derivatives.

The description of this litter, from a Chewy.com article is “Silica gel crystal cat litter, like Fresh Step Crystals Premium Cat Litter, is made from sodium silicate sand that is processed with oxygen and water. The result is a bead with tiny pores that allows it to absorb around 40 times its weight in liquid. These beads are similar to the desiccant “Do not eat” packets you find in medications, shoes and other products that need to stay dry. Silica crystals are big and porous, making them effective at odor control. While they look solid, they are actually filled with a network of small hollow channels that immediately absorb moisture as they come in contact with liquid”

I’m thinking that this is the “cleanest” choice.

Why do you think?

Old 05-02-2019, 06:00 PM

craft sand...

Old 05-02-2019, 06:13 PM

Does Stillpoints make an audiophile-grade kitty litter?