AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 08-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
It's been awfully quiet over here in 20.7 ville.... I'm still anxiously awaiting delivery.

I'd hoped for August, but that's looking bleak at this point, so hopefully by this time next month the 20.7s will have arrived.

The 3.7s continue to provide a great experience though, so how can I complain about the wait?
Hey Rayooo,

That waiting is tough. Did you call Magnepan and ask where you are at on the production build list? I have been checking the forum waithing to see a new thread with your name on it.
It can't be long now.

~Mike
Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
Hey Rayooo,

That waiting is tough. Did you call Magnepan and ask where you are at on the production build list? I have been checking the forum waithing to see a new thread with your name on it.
It can't be long now.

~Mike
I think that's a good idea, I've been getting info through my dealer, but maybe a call to Magnepan is in order. I think it was May when I actually called them last.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:13 PM

Here's a quick update: My 20.7's are about 3 months old now and have been played almost 24/7 - They are breaking in as I mentioned: more bass and more dynamics.

I tried something new: I now have 1.5 ohm Mills MRA 12 Resistors on both the Midrange and Tweeter. The sound is warm, with very nice bass. The large room still keeps the treble airy. The fact that I'm padding both Midrange and Treble really increases the bass presence.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell View Post
Here's a quick update: My 20.7's are about 3 months old now and have been played almost 24/7 - They are breaking in as I mentioned: more bass and more dynamics.

I tried something new: I now have 1.5 ohm Mills MRA 12 Resistors on both the Midrange and Tweeter. The sound is warm, with very nice bass. The large room still keeps the treble airy. The fact that I'm padding both Midrange and Treble really increases the bass presence.
ah, very good to hear this! I run a 1 ohm Duelund in the tweeter on the 3.7s.

It's nice to know that flexibility exists on the 20.7s as well. You've given me an idea to do an experiment on the 3.7s by installing a 1 ohm or so in the midrange just to see what it sounds like, as I've never had anything but a jumper on the mid.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayooo

ah, very good to hear this! I run a 1 ohm Duelund in the tweeter on the 3.7s.

It's nice to know that flexibility exists on the 20.7s as well. You've given me an idea to do an experiment on the 3.7s by installing a 1 ohm or so in the midrange just to see what it sounds like, as I've never had anything but a jumper on the mid.
Please let me know what you think. Personally, I find padding them both lets the bass come through even more - nice warm sound but still detailed. I like the 1.5 ohm but any value could work depending on preference.

Yes - It's really nice to be able to adjust the sound of the 20.7's to your room.

For those reading this, the Mills Resistors are 12 watt and they cost about $5.00 each. Try it - You can really dial in the exact sound you want, and with very little cost.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM

UPDATE:

...20.7s for me are set to ship on Sept 7th!!!

Assuming things go as planned, it'll have been around 3.5 months. 'could always have been worse.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 PM

Ray - That's brilliant news... Much sunshine and happy days ahead... when you first fire up the beloved behemoths it'll be a lasting life changer and the road to get there will be a bumpy blip on the radar... I love the 20.7s eveeery day... have fun
Best wishes from oz
Graham

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
Ray - That's brilliant news... Much sunshine and happy days ahead... when you first fire up the beloved behemoths it'll be a lasting life changer and the road to get there will be a bumpy blip on the radar... I love the 20.7s eveeery day... have fun
Best wishes from oz
Graham

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
I'm heading to visit the dealer today to give them a bit more $$. I guess Magnepan sends an invoice to the dealer a couple weeks before the ship.
Makes sense, I guess.

Should be a fun ride and the good news is I'll be done, D-O-N-E done with speakers forever. no more upgrade-itus ever.. well maybe possibly in 10 years when Magnepan does a 20.8
Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayooo View Post
......Should be a fun ride and the good news is I'll be done, D-O-N-E done with speakers forever. no more upgrade-itus ever.. well maybe possibly in 10 years when Magnepan does a 20.8
Or possibly, when they revamp the Tympani line.

Anyway, Rayoo, I'm excited for your upcoming new panels too.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM

Seems that this is the place to announce 20.7 purchases. Made mine Saturday last. The 3.7's, an absolute stunning speaker in itself and virtually impossible to beat at it's price, will be traded. I'm hoping at this point the early rush for the 20.7 has begun to drop off and my wait ends right around Thanksgiving. That's still 12 weeks and just enuff time to break them in some for the Xmas Holiday music.