AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 04-02-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comzee View Post
I love 6L6 tubes in both my pentode inspire amps.
To me, 6L6 represents the best resolution and control of any pentode.

I have a pair of NOS ST shaped, a bit warmer than my other 6L6's. The new production Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR is fantastic, I also have a pair of Visseaux 6L6 that are bar-none my best pentode pair I own, startlingly good resolution/air/nuance.

The trade offs for me, 6v6 run leaner, less impact, but could be better for vocals and some genres. Kt66/kt88 and above have more slam and dynamics, but lose the extreme control and resolution 6L6 family has.

Definitely a YMMV, just my personal impressions.
You are not the first to suggest the Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR. Especially when you can get a quad tested by Jim McShane for $90!

Regarding the Visseaux 6L6 which version do you have? 6L6G, 6L6gt, or do you think it really matters?
Old 04-02-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3workshop View Post
If you can find some Ei KT90 tubes to try in your Pentode Inspire I highly recommend them. They have all the slam, air, subtlety, and nuance you could ever want. Amazing midrange quality.

I have rolled every tube type in mine and these are the best for my setup.
Did a quick search, certainly not easy to find. eBay search has been set up, certainly sounds like it will be worth the hunt for the longterm.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=FloridaBoy;1000492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE45 View Post
Untitled by cogt3, on Flickr

Anybody try these in an Inspire amp?

I'm using 6L6GA's in my PSE w/IIPS and like them a lot. I'm running a 5Y3G rectifier with them.
Just when I print up the return label someone pops in and says yeah, work great! Which 6l6GA's are you using? Looking around seems like the JAN versions are premium price wise compared to the "regular" RCA/Sylvania versions. Wouldn't have accepted the eBay offer if I thought it was only for a pair, but main when you get beautiful NOS tubes in hand its hard to send them back.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE45 View Post
Did a quick search, certainly not easy to find. eBay search has been set up, certainly sounds like it will be worth the hunt for the longterm.
They're not cheap, for sure. I came across a dozen NOS about a year ago for the price of a quad. Couldn't say no thinking I'd use them in my Citation II.

Sold that amp after rebuilding it and using it sparingly for a year. Popped a pair in the Inspire to see how they'd sound... awesome.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:03 AM

[QUOTE=PSE45;1000517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post

Just when I print up the return label someone pops in and says yeah, work great! Which 6l6GA's are you using? Looking around seems like the JAN versions are premium price wise compared to the "regular" RCA/Sylvania versions. Wouldn't have accepted the eBay offer if I thought it was only for a pair, but main when you get beautiful NOS tubes in hand its hard to send them back.
I have some NOS Sylvania Jan 6L6GAY's as well as National Union, GE, Acturus etc. FYI, I bought the GAY's from ebay seller NOSTUBES in France. A solid seller and he has a NOS quad listed presently. There is no sonic difference between the JAN and regular tubes. The GAY designation denotes the brown micanol base. They sound excellent in my PSE with a 5Y3G rectifier. The input tube used has a large impact on the sound and, IMHO, may be more important than the brand of 6L6 used. You don't need matched quads in the PSE. So get another pair and enjoy. BTW, electrically, the 6L6G and GA's are identical.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 04-03-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:48 AM

^^^
Micanol base is a low leakage material. It matters in some applications. I agree that input tube choice makes a huge difference.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comzee View Post
I love 6L6 tubes in both my pentode inspire amps.
To me, 6L6 represents the best resolution and control of any pentode.

I have a pair of NOS ST shaped, a bit warmer than my other 6L6's. The new production Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR is fantastic, I also have a pair of Visseaux 6L6 that are bar-none my best pentode pair I own, startlingly good resolution/air/nuance.

The trade offs for me, 6v6 run leaner, less impact, but could be better for vocals and some genres. Kt66/kt88 and above have more slam and dynamics, but lose the extreme control and resolution 6L6 family has.

Definitely a YMMV, just my personal impressions.
Some 6L6 history:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00640.html
Old 04-04-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3workshop View Post
^^^
I agree that input tube choice makes a huge difference.
Going to give that a try soon. Never have had the free time to sit down and do side by side comparisons. Have now prophylactically self isolated from the family so I have plenty of free time (provide inpatient medical care, only a matter time before I have a significant exposure). Still playing around with speaker placement in my little apartment suite and getting a feel for the sound then on to rolling input tubes.

Here is what I have on hand:
Psvane cv181-T II
Amperex 6sn7gtb
Ken-rad 6sn7gt
Sylvania VT-231 jan chs 6sn7gt
Raytheon 6sn7gt
CBS 6sn7
Sylvania 6sn7gtb
Tung Sol USAF 6188
Tung Sol JAN CHS 6su7gty
RCA red base 5691
Sylvania jan chs 6sl7wgt

Usually use the Ken Rad 6sn7gt or Sylvania BT-231 in the IIPS PSE and Ting Sol 6su7gty in the 45 SET. Really haven’t tried the 6sl7 variants in the PSE but I have time on my hands now, really can’t go out during daylight hours, hard to explain to a 3yo why you can’t give them a hug. So time to make lemonade out of lemons.

Untitled by cogt3

Untitled by cogt3
Old 04-04-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
Try a type 80 globe in your lp-3.1. Needs an adapter. Dennis had me put one in my lp-27. It takes an 80 but I had always used st bottle types, with no recognizable difference to my ears. The 80 globe on the other hand was a significant difference, for the better. I do not recall exactly what the betterment was but I have not looked back.
What brand Type 80 did you try, BearCity? I'm intrigued. I have a few adapters en route from China but am waiting on purchasing the 80 until I do a little more research.

Incidentally, as a big fan of the Sophia 274B I ponied up the dough for some of their 6sn7. Thus far I'm not as impressed as I am with the 274. Waiting for them to open up a little, I guess.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldominion View Post
What brand Type 80 did you try, BearCity? I'm intrigued. I have a few adapters en route from China but am waiting on purchasing the 80 until I do a little more research.

Incidentally, as a big fan of the Sophia 274B I ponied up the dough for some of their 6sn7. Thus far I'm not as impressed as I am with the 274. Waiting for them to open up a little, I guess.

In my lp-27 I am listening to right now is. Philco type 80 (globe). Bi-amping my Proac DT8s. Inspire PSE with a quad of GL Kt-77s on the low end and my new Inspire 6V6er with British CV 509s on the tweeter. The 6V6er has a ‘volume’ knob. Great for balancing high-low. Never thought I would need/like the volume on the amp in that I like the convenience of a pre-amp. I switch sources a lot. Anyway, thanks to Dennis foresight I can dial this setup in quite nicely.