AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 09-17-2013, 02:56 PM

I've owned ARC REF3 also REF5SE, and the REF 5SE was significantly better..
Still, in tandem with A-200s, I preferred Accuphase's own C-3800.
If looking for best possible combination, you may want to give any FM Acoustics pre a shot.

Last edited by bvdiman; 09-17-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
I've owned ARC REF3 also REF5SE, and the REF 5SE was significantly better..
Still, in tandem with A-200s, I preferred Accuphase's own C-3800.
If looking for best possible combination, you may want to give any FM Acoustics pre a shot.
I would love to hear a FM Acoustics unit one day. They are said to be the best of the best....
Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM
AudioCrazyPhile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
I've owned ARC REF3 also REF5SE, and the REF 5SE was significantly better...
Ref 5SE fills the void in music is the wisdom I hear. I wanted to have a tube pre mixed in the SS rig. May be one day, I shall try the REF 5SE again if I find one for the right price.

The Luxman Pre is just like all the goodness of tube pre with no added requirement for the tube rolling.

I have to consider myself an Accuphase fan since I have a full accuphase rig. I think the very design consideration of the Accuphase always been nothing added to the music or reproduction so their pre including C-3800 will be just that. It's fortunately is a 99.99% truth in representing music but 0.01% neglecting the taste preference of the listener.

FM is just too rich for my blood but free audition is possible for me in the near future.

James
Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
It would be more "Cartesian" no ?
Dear Descartes,

It would also be more coordinated.

Such an erudite forum this is . Sophisticated humor for sophisticated gents*.

Alberto
Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megasat16 View Post
Hi!

I am not very good at describing the very jargon words that most audiophiles use given my background in the engineering. I am more like short to the point guy so bear with me when I am trying to comprehend for you a bit more.

My accuphase amps are P1000, and P800.

I have a ML380s (Still do) because I wanted to roll things in and out to see how things are. Even though it's easy and very pleasant on the ears, I found it a bit less transparent in the midrange pairing to the Accuphase.

C-290V is kept because of it's the last generation of Accuphase Pre with a real nice Volume POT. It's pretty transparent and a notch above 380s but still the sound is a little dry and a little too analytical for my taste.

ARC Ref 3 was a loan from the audio shop near me and I returned it because I found it's not a match to my taste. It sounded pretty good and very wide sound stage but somehow lacks low level resolution that the SS pre given to me. As with any tube stuff, the dynamics are a bit more rolled off (IMO). Tube guys - No stone throwing please.

Luxman C-10 (much like accuphase C-290V with no remote and just straight line stage pre) but much better presentation and sounds right. You hears the music seamlessly and everything sounds so perfect and right with the Accuphase amps. There is no big or small sound stage or lacks life or dynamics or resolution. You just listen to music without thinking what's lacking. There is nothing lacking and sounds just right. It's like the show you are wearing for the past 10 years and still works like new the day you got it. You never have to worry about another pair of shoe or worry when it will wear out. Sorry, my shoe analogy is a bit distasteful but there is nothing better to describe just right for me at the moment.

So, I am looking out for C-1000F one day. They do exist but a bit hard to find being they are limited production and most Luxman fans will use C-1000F for them.

I have Luxman Amps too but it's a different topics altogether and my formula is Lux Pre + Accuphase Amp + Accuphase Source (or) go all out with TAD.
Thank you very much James for bringing in your own words these valuable experiences. I also can not speak the lingo with very detailed audiophile, and perhaps for this reason I can understand the meaning of your description, or perhaps even because I had the same impressions, except that when I listened to the combinations with pre ARC, not a Ref 3 but a LS25. The Ref 3, also in other combinations, maintains exactly the characteristics that you described, then I would say that it is a connotation of the pre. The same thing goes for the C290V. I believe that at this level it's just a matter of taste and finishes with the rest of the chain. You're lucky to have been able to make the listening experience even with the pre Luxman, I wish to also try the c1000F, at those levels actually Luxman offers impressive buildings for the substance.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Dear Descartes,

It would also be more coordinated.

Such an erudite forum this is . Sophisticated humor for sophisticated gents*.

Alberto
Great forum here, I agree, I suppose you've probably missed my previous answer about.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:19 AM

I have to say I always loved Accuphase amps but was never a huge fan of their preamps. I have been extremely happy with my A30's and Shindo Masseto combo.
MAIN SYSTEM: Shindo Masseto, (2) Accuphase A30's, Arcam DV29, Transrotor Darkstar, Jelco 750, CA DaVinci, Audience AU24SE, JL F-112, Totem Winds. Ricchard Gray OFFICE SYSTEM: Mac C26, Mac 2505, accuphase T-100, Marrantz, Technics SL1400MkII, CA 2002, Tandberg 10X, Nak 680ZX. Fried R3 signature (owned since new) HT: Arcam AVR600, Mrantz UD7007, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dali Helicon 7.0 (2) JL F-110, DAILY TV VIEWING: (In build phase)Panasonic 58" pro series Totem tribe 5.1 Arcam AVR300 (temp) DV88,Sony BR GAMING SYSTEM: Runco XP50DHD, Arcam AVR250, Dali Mentor 5.1, Xbox 360 .Too much more to list
Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM

Pls keep in mind the phase polarity in case of balanced connection, when one mix Accuphase amp to other s pre. Or vice versa. I tried c3800 vs ARC ref40 connected to A200. C3800 made more robust bass but noticeably rougher than ARC.
I do wish Accuphase make two piece pre amp one day, to separate power supply. I feel this is audible.

Toga
Old 12-06-2014, 08:57 AM

i like the arc ref 5se + A70 combo *so far the best for me*
the VTL 6.5 + A65 = was not very compatible
Boulder 1010 + A65= quite good, very livable
Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 AM

With a A70 sure a pre Accuphase. not other.

the 2820 (the 3800 is very $$$$$) -> all Accuphase is the right way to nirvana.