AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-05-2018, 12:45 AM
jzzmusician jzzmusician is online now
Member

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SE Washington State
Posts: 90
Default

Serge,

I really enjoy reading your posts. Would you please share your thoughts on the Primaluna compared to the Luxman?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
__________________
“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
― Aldous Huxley

Dali Epicon 8, JL Audio E112, Primaluna Dialogue HP, PS Audio NuWave, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, misc cables
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-05-2018, 01:46 AM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is offline
It's not just the music!

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 17,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician View Post
Serge,

I really enjoy reading your posts. Would you please share your thoughts on the Primaluna compared to the Luxman?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Thanks Bob,

They are actually both great integrated amps. More similar than different really. I can easily live and listen to either and be perfectly happy.

Sometimes I can pick up on the slight advantage of the PrimaLuna digging deeper into the emotional content of music and harmonic richness like tubes can, only to compare to the Luxman and realize it's all in my head. They really are too much alike rather than significantly different. I would not want to bet any money on a blind test to guess which one is playing, even with a familiar recording. Well executed Class A design really does sound like tubes.

Judge for yourself. Listen to both carefully in the links below and decide for yourself which you think you like better. I'm glad I have both but I can neither decide nor part with either of them.

Luxman https://youtu.be/SRy8NyL7b1Y

PrimaLuna https://youtu.be/cssNqFBeNhw
__________________
Serge

Main System:


Amplification: Luxman L-590AX Mark II.
Luxman D-06u SACD.
Roon/Tidal.
Bryston BDP-Pi

PrimaLuna Dialogue HP EL34

Speakers: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary




Headphones:

ZMF Auteur Blackwood, Audeze LCD-3, Audeze LCD-2C, Sennheiser HD600, HD650, Fostex TH-X00EB, E-MU Teak

Headphone Amplification: SPL Phonitor 2730, Audeze Deckard, PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Luxman L-590AX Mark II, Woo Audio WA6

Source/DAC. Roon/Tidal.

Last edited by PHC1; 05-05-2018 at 02:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-05-2018, 06:44 AM
GreginNH1's Avatar
GreginNH1 GreginNH1 is online now
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That's just the Class A rating which is plenty but when you want to rock the house, The Class A 590AXII puts out a very healthy 2x95W and 2x165W into 8/4ohm. I doubt I have ever even left Class A with my 87dB speakers in a rather large room. I know the Prima Luna puts out much less and I have not been able to stress the tubed amp, let alone this Luxman.
I hear you on this fact Serge. It has always puzzled me that Luxman has never published the A/B specs on this amp. I think many potential buyers simply dismissed the Luxman due to the Class A rating.
__________________
Audio Room: Gryphon Diablo 300, Ayre P-5xe, Esoteric K-01X, Esoteric G-02X, Aurender N10, Clearaudio Innovation, KEF Blade 2, Audeze LCD-XC, Audioquest Niagara 5000, Audience AU24- SX speaker cables, Wireworld Platinum USB and COAX, Audioquest WEL interconnects and Hurricane power cords, Core Audio Designs racks, Stillpoints, HRS damping plates and all that other silly stuff

Living Room: (aka Maria's system): Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated, Audio Physic Tempo Special Ed., Cambridge Audio 840C, Bluesound Node 2, Accusound and Nordost interconnects and cables

Office: McIntosh MA252, Bluesound Node 2, Chord 2Qute DAC, Diapason Neos, Tellurium Q silver speaker cables and Nordost Frey 2 interconnects

Last edited by GreginNH1; 05-05-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-05-2018, 09:08 AM
johndoe21ro's Avatar
johndoe21ro johndoe21ro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 214
Default

Serge, you've got some really nice gear there! I'm also interested in the Luxman 590AXII... in order to simplify my system.
I hope you'll forgive me for the observations but the sound is a bit hollow and seems to lack a little body. Of course I don't know if it's the empty room, the speakers, the DAC, the cables or something else... Otherwise it seems resolute, fast, tonally rich and with a nice soundstage - as much as the video quality and the bit rate allows of course...
__________________
Amp: BAT VK-600SE
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e22 w Paul Hynes SR3-12 Power Supply; Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit, LPS & Samsung 860EVO 1TB SSD; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR 72v DBS, AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V, AudioQuest Hurricane High Current 72V DBS, AudioQuest NRG-10 72V DBS, AudioQuest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone ISO Regen w USPCB A>B Adapter
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w IsoTek Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 05-05-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 AM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is offline
It's not just the music!

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 17,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginNH1 View Post
I hear you on this fact Serge. It has always puzzled me that Luxman has never published the A/B specs on this amp. I think many potential buyers simply dismissed the Luxman due to the Class A rating.
Yep, I was a bit hesitant to get into a 30w Class A amp until I learned there is so much more overhead reserve.
__________________
Serge

Main System:


Amplification: Luxman L-590AX Mark II.
Luxman D-06u SACD.
Roon/Tidal.
Bryston BDP-Pi

PrimaLuna Dialogue HP EL34

Speakers: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary




Headphones:

ZMF Auteur Blackwood, Audeze LCD-3, Audeze LCD-2C, Sennheiser HD600, HD650, Fostex TH-X00EB, E-MU Teak

Headphone Amplification: SPL Phonitor 2730, Audeze Deckard, PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Luxman L-590AX Mark II, Woo Audio WA6

Source/DAC. Roon/Tidal.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-05-2018, 09:50 AM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is offline
It's not just the music!

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 17,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
Serge, you've got some really nice gear there! I'm also interested in the Luxman 590AXII... in order to simplify my system.
I hope you'll forgive me for the observations but the sound is a bit hollow and seems to lack a little body. Of course I don't know if it's the empty room, the speakers, the DAC, the cables or something else... Otherwise it seems resolute, fast, tonally rich and with a nice soundstage - as much as the video quality and the bit rate allows of course...
__________________
Amp: BAT VK-600SE
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e22 w Paul Hynes SR3-12 Power Supply; Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit, LPS & Samsung 860EVO 1TB SSD; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR 72v DBS, AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V, AudioQuest Hurricane High Current 72V DBS, AudioQuest NRG-10 72V DBS, AudioQuest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone ISO Regen w USPCB A>B Adapter
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w IsoTek Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3
A few things going on, first it’s an iPhone recording to YouTube compression and then of course it will only sound as your playback chain on your end. Computer speakers? When I listen to my own video in quality headphones it gets closer to real life sound but of course it is still not it. The DAC used at the time of those videos was a $300 DAC module by the way. Does an $8k SACD/DAC from Luxman make a difference later? Yeah, it did. YouTube is not the best way to gauge the absolute sound quality obviously, but it gives one an idea none the less. I doubt very much you’d be disappointed with a Luxman integrated or separates. Pull the trigger and don’t look back.
__________________
Serge

Main System:


Amplification: Luxman L-590AX Mark II.
Luxman D-06u SACD.
Roon/Tidal.
Bryston BDP-Pi

PrimaLuna Dialogue HP EL34

Speakers: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary




Headphones:

ZMF Auteur Blackwood, Audeze LCD-3, Audeze LCD-2C, Sennheiser HD600, HD650, Fostex TH-X00EB, E-MU Teak

Headphone Amplification: SPL Phonitor 2730, Audeze Deckard, PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Luxman L-590AX Mark II, Woo Audio WA6

Source/DAC. Roon/Tidal.

Last edited by PHC1; 05-05-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-05-2018, 11:01 AM
johndoe21ro's Avatar
johndoe21ro johndoe21ro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 214
Default

I listened through my headphones but your points are valid enough. I'm sure you're right so you must forgive me for criticizing your system. As for the amplification I'm not sure which way to go... upgrading to BAT VK-655SE, going for Vitus SS-010 (25W in class A), going for the Luxman or for something completely different.
__________________
Amp: BAT VK-600SE
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e22 w Paul Hynes SR3-12 Power Supply; Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit, LPS & Samsung 860EVO 1TB SSD; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR 72v DBS, AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V, AudioQuest Hurricane High Current 72V DBS, AudioQuest NRG-10 72V DBS, AudioQuest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone ISO Regen w USPCB A>B Adapter
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w IsoTek Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2018, 11:43 AM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is offline
It's not just the music!

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 17,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
I listened through my headphones but your points are valid enough. I'm sure you're right so you must forgive me for criticizing your system. As for the amplification I'm not sure which way to go... upgrading to BAT VK-655SE, going for Vitus SS-010 (25W in class A), going for the Luxman or for something completely different.
__________________
Amp: BAT VK-600SE
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e22 w Paul Hynes SR3-12 Power Supply; Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit, LPS & Samsung 860EVO 1TB SSD; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR 72v DBS, AudioQuest Everest DBS 72V, AudioQuest Hurricane High Current 72V DBS, AudioQuest NRG-10 72V DBS, AudioQuest Diamond USB 216V DBS, UpTone ISO Regen w USPCB A>B Adapter
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w IsoTek Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; HiFi Tuning Supreme 3
I didn't take it as criticism. My system is work in progress in the sense that the room is still not treated. Having said that, I am in no rush since it sounds great already and everything on top of that is icing on the cake.

You already have great components, spending $$$ will yield only marginal if any improvement. I've certainly enjoyed my BAT setup with Dynadio back in the day so I am familiar with BAT sound. Sometimes it's wise to just not do anything but enjoy what you already have. Probably most of the times but you know how this crazy hobby goes.
__________________
Serge

Main System:


Amplification: Luxman L-590AX Mark II.
Luxman D-06u SACD.
Roon/Tidal.
Bryston BDP-Pi

PrimaLuna Dialogue HP EL34

Speakers: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary




Headphones:

ZMF Auteur Blackwood, Audeze LCD-3, Audeze LCD-2C, Sennheiser HD600, HD650, Fostex TH-X00EB, E-MU Teak

Headphone Amplification: SPL Phonitor 2730, Audeze Deckard, PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Luxman L-590AX Mark II, Woo Audio WA6

Source/DAC. Roon/Tidal.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2018, 03:39 PM
DonBattles's Avatar
DonBattles DonBattles is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That's just the Class A rating which is plenty but when you want to rock the house, The Class A 590AXII puts out a very healthy 2x95W and 2x165W into 8/4ohm. I doubt I have ever even left Class A with my 87dB speakers in a rather large room. I know the Prima Luna puts out much less and I have not been able to stress the tubed amp, let alone this Luxman.


I’m with Serge on this. My L590aii supplies more than enough power to drive my Wilson Duettes. This will remain in my system and the only reason I would change is if I ever end up with a large listening room. In that situation I’d want some Luxman Class A mono-blocks.
__________________
2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2018, 03:44 PM
DonBattles's Avatar
DonBattles DonBattles is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,370
Default

My L590 in a much smaller room, but with acoustic treatment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KsaKIolblYI
__________________
2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Audeze
Audeze
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase