AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 06-19-2012, 02:41 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Grant,
... It is very brave of you to come to our level and explain your products. It takes a lot of time and energy and this should be respected at the highest point. ...
Agree. It does make you wonder how many other manufacturers would take the time and energy to respond with grace and tolerance to what appears as agenda driven innuendo about eight year old marketing literature.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima

Agree. It does make you wonder how many other manufacturers would take the time and energy to respond with grace and tolerance to what appears as agenda driven innuendo about eight year old marketing literature.
Appreciate Grant's input & clarification. There is a lot of misinformation on the web. Much of which is in fact dated & no longer relevant to current product. Shunyata would do well by allowing Grant to do the actual copyrighting of the technical content on their website for their current lines.

Nevertheless, AA is the perfect forum to set things straight.

Last edited by MyPal; 06-19-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Sorry to say this to Shunyata fans, but this Hydra 6 just looks like a star grounding system to get rid of ground loops. Moreover, one filter for 2 components just does not do it for me.
There is no star grounding in Hydra 6. I'm not sure if it woulbe be needed anyway.

It looks more like a regular power bar, with a single MOV in at the input (protects from overvoltage) and 3 noise suppression capacitors thrown in - one common capacitor for each duplex outlet.

Last edited by Masterlu; 10-18-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 AM

Looked the pics again and you're right Adam.
My mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 06-19-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
However, I don't get the sense this is for your personal use or benefit.
You are correct. I'm hard on you for the same reason I was hard on Magico a while back - for using false claims in your marketing materials.

I've been a big fan of your products - especially PCs, but I also have been using your ICs and SPCs.

At some point in time, I had 4 Anaconda CX PCs in my system:

Antares ICs:

and Orion SPCs:

That was all long AFTER I discovered what is - or should I say - what is missing in the Hydra 6.

I'm a bit disappointed that you desiced to end the discusson without providing the images or serial # at which the internal model change took place. Obviously, without this data it is not possible to say if what you are saying is true or false.

Some ppl may think - and they will have all rights to do so - that avoiding publishing those numbers after you have been called to do do in public, was just a way to avoid bigger image hit.

I can imagine, that after you say that all Hydra 6 from the serial # starting with say xxxx have the improved 10-element filter, sooner or later someone would open such a late Hydra and say CHECK. And if the new parts wouldn't be there ... you know how that story would end.

Publishing those # could easily end things discussion once and for all - but for reasons known only to you, you decided otherwise.

I'm also dissapointed that you did not address the other doubtful claims I mentioned, like 'each outlet individually filtered' or 'no point-point wiring'. Oh wait - you addressed the last one. You don't see any point-point wiring inside, only solid copper *ahem* solid silver buss bars:

In which case, I think need to see my mom, who is an eye doctor ...

Last edited by Elberoth; 06-19-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 AM

tima...I don't know about this street cred points definition, nor do I care for any such imputation on this forum. What I like to see is credible & constructive information as well as opinion based on actual experience & interpretation whether that be positive or negative. The degree of objectivity is up to the reader to disseminate.

The sponsor here has had the opportunity to set things straight & has invited a personal line of communication for which I commend him for his effort.

If there has been vendor disinformation or misrpresentation in order to gain a market advantage, then there should of course be public accountability. Similarly, the consumer should also be mindful about the nature & purpose of their public grievance should they choose to vent their disappointment openly.

I can't speak for Adam's complaint, nor do I understand the reasoning or agenda behind his grievance given that his argument appears to be centered around an older product which has since been improved upon.

All I can say is that a manufacturer's marketing materials alongside individual product documentation should be accurate & transparent enough for the consumer to absorb & understand in order to avert miscommunication through disinformation whether that be intentional or not. As this market attracts technically savvy consumers, the technical mumbo jumbo should be detailed & concise without any of the creative pharma type marketing pseudonyms.

As for that prospective sponsor's tour, they should take a feather out of Bryston's hat. Even though I don't own any Bryston products (I would indeed if I had another room), IMO Brian Russell & James Tanner are the best in their game & others should follow by their example.

Last edited by MyPal; 06-19-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM

So it seems to me that perhaps Shunyata's IT dept. hasn't been able to update the website to reflect the running changes to the product line yet. I think Grant has been more than helpful to talk with Adam about his particular item in question and to make sure that Adam is happy with it. For some reason Adam doesn't want to resolve his questions about his unit and seems to be on some personal quest to rid the audio world of bogus marketing claims. The problem I have is the way he decides to do this on a public forum instead of direct contact.

Last edited by bakerman; 06-19-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Merry Christmas to all

This thread has been interesting, if not a bit adversarial. I want to insert a soft reminder that digressing to personal attacks about individual posters is not in the best interest of anyone, and does not support Audio Aficionado's mission of being a Friendly Forum for High-End Audio. Disagreements on topics can, and often do, bring about solutions. Personal slams only breed contempt. My hope is we can remain above this.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-19-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy
This thread has been interesting, if not a bit adversarial. I want to insert a soft reminder that digressing to personal attacks about individual posters is not in the best interest of anyone, and does not support Audio Aficionado's mission of being a Friendly Forum for High-End Audio.
The Wise Man has spoken.

Let's be very respectful towards each other.
We share the same passion and some transformed this passion into their job.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM

I for one have greatly enjoyed this read. Not all of us can afford to buy this gear and "hear or see for ourselves" so it's refreshing to see someone actually state their actual opinion even if it's negative. Most published reviews and personal user reviews on forums are almost always positive. Rarely do we read anything negative and if we do that person gets blasted by other users of that product so we see the tendency of people to avoid saying anything negative about a product which frankly hurts the industry and doesn't allow the manufacturers to hear about what the general reception is to their products. Instead they should use that feedback for improvement or at least to understand how better to market or position the product to avoid those buyers who might bias toward a negative opinion.

Power products still have a lot of mysticism and this industry is full of crazy stuff to extract money from those who wan to eek out every bit of performance (quantum chips, schumann resonators, shakti, bybee filters, etc). If any manufacturer wants $5000 from me they better be able to answer in great detail what I'm spending my money on.