AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 08-30-2018, 11:08 PM
Industry Affiliation - Ayre CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeat View Post
Hi Ryan,

This week I became the happy owner of a QX-5! It's up and running, I'm using the ethernet input with Roon. But I've run into an update issue, I hope you can help me out.

This particular unit needed software updates. I've managed the general firmware update, that went smooth enough. It's on J now.

Problem is that the ethernet module won't pick up the newest update. It's an automated proces, I know, but there's no sign of any updating going on, or an update being offered. The firmware is still stuck at 03.00.03, it should be 03.05.15.

What can I do or try to get the update proces going?

Thanks!

Marc
Hi bluebeat,

The automated updating is currently disabled due to a compatibility to our new website...sometimes the things that should go smoothly...

The guy that handles our website will be back in on Tuesday, so please give me a bit of time to get with him on this. It's one of our top priorities at the moment.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtl View Post
Hi Ryan. I am now at version J. I did receive an email reply from Gary Mulder. He mentioned this “As far as the pops with DSD 128 files. That’s a known glitch with the QX-5 Twenty that we are working on. My apologies for this. Hope to have a fix before too long!”

Likewise, on Ayre Qx5 firmware page, “When playing specific high rate files, the QX-5 briefly indicates that HDCD codes are detected and begins decoding. This causes audible changes in track level.”

I am not sure if the issue I am facing is related to this.
Hi gtl,

As far as the HDCD issue you mentioned, this is unrelated to your problem. We disabled HDCD detection completely at the moment and that's a side effect with HDCD tracks only. When we wanted to implement HDCD decoding, in the purist nature that we tend to follow, we created a way for the QX-5 to detect and display when an HDCD disc is properly encoded or when it just looks like an HDCD track to most players, but really isn't truly one. Charley was always particularly interested in revealing people who take advantage of our industry. So we created the system that will display HDCD in one of two ways to show the difference.

Unfortunately, it caused a few more problems than we anticipated. To be exact, it caused popping issues with high-rate files, particularly of the DSD format. Had we done an easy generic way of decoding the CD's, it would have worked perfectly...but Ayre doesn't do anything generic. We decided that the best thing to do was to disable the rarely-used HDCD decoding entirely while we sorted the problem out to ensure those listening to PCM and DSD files do not have to suffer drop-outs in their music. We know of a way to fix it now, but are in the testing process before re-enabling the feature for public use.

At any rate, I'm quite certain you shouldn't be experiencing issues if the firmware is correct and I'll want to have it fixed for you. I work directly with the engineers daily (one of them has to suffer sharing a wall with me, so I'm over in his office to ask him what's getting done all the time) and even spoke with our CTO about your issue yesterday to confirm you shouldn't be experiencing issues like that. If you still are with all the latest firmware, again, please let us know and I'll get you in touch with our engineers.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:28 AM

Thanks for your reply, Ryan. That's correct, Gary had informed me in the meantime, he's been very helpful. Thanks again!

Last edited by bluebeat; 09-05-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Berry View Post
Hi gtl,

As far as the HDCD issue you mentioned, this is unrelated to your problem. We disabled HDCD detection completely at the moment and that's a side effect with HDCD tracks only. When we wanted to implement HDCD decoding, in the purist nature that we tend to follow, we created a way for the QX-5 to detect and display when an HDCD disc is properly encoded or when it just looks like an HDCD track to most players, but really isn't truly one. Charley was always particularly interested in revealing people who take advantage of our industry. So we created the system that will display HDCD in one of two ways to show the difference.

Unfortunately, it caused a few more problems than we anticipated. To be exact, it caused popping issues with high-rate files, particularly of the DSD format. Had we done an easy generic way of decoding the CD's, it would have worked perfectly...but Ayre doesn't do anything generic. We decided that the best thing to do was to disable the rarely-used HDCD decoding entirely while we sorted the problem out to ensure those listening to PCM and DSD files do not have to suffer drop-outs in their music. We know of a way to fix it now, but are in the testing process before re-enabling the feature for public use.

At any rate, I'm quite certain you shouldn't be experiencing issues if the firmware is correct and I'll want to have it fixed for you. I work directly with the engineers daily (one of them has to suffer sharing a wall with me, so I'm over in his office to ask him what's getting done all the time) and even spoke with our CTO about your issue yesterday to confirm you shouldn't be experiencing issues like that. If you still are with all the latest firmware, again, please let us know and I'll get you in touch with our engineers.

Hi Ryan,

I am still getting them pops unfortunately. I have tried 2 different Aurender music servers and the pops are still present. This is only for DSD128 files.

Kenneth
Old 09-05-2018, 12:45 AM

Hi Kenneth,

That's definitely concerning then. If you've been emailing with Gary, I'll get your email information from him when he gets back from the Cedia show on Monday and figure out how best to figure this out for you.

Best Regards,

Ryan
Old 09-26-2018, 09:50 PM

My QX-5 hasn't asked to be updated. Roon finds the Oppo 205 but no longer the QX-5. I had not been able to log onto Roon since I clicked on a box labeled MQA several weeks ago -- Tidal claims not to recognize the password no matter how often I reset it, but today Roon came up on the iPad and played, but not in the usual way. It was loud, the preamp didn't seem in control of the volume, and the sound quality was poor. The 205 is connected to the KX-5 Twenty via XLR. Is the QX-5 no longer a Roon preferred player?

db
Old 11-03-2018, 06:56 PM

Firmware version K has been released. Update completed smoothly.

I had issues in the past attempting to update firmware. The symptom was, the display would say updating, but would never finish. The cause was the USB stick I was using. It works fine on PC's and other devices but not for firmware updates? I've tried erasing it, re-formatting it, no luck.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
My QX-5 hasn't asked to be updated.
I've been running OS K for some time, and Roon core is running well, including the remote app on the iPad.

db
Old 11-07-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
My QX-5 hasn't asked to be updated. Roon finds the Oppo 205 but no longer the QX-5. I had not been able to log onto Roon since I clicked on a box labeled MQA several weeks ago -- Tidal claims not to recognize the password no matter how often I reset it, but today Roon came up on the iPad and played, but not in the usual way. It was loud, the preamp didn't seem in control of the volume, and the sound quality was poor. The 205 is connected to the KX-5 Twenty via XLR. Is the QX-5 no longer a Roon preferred player?

db
The Ayre gear is all still preferred players, but requires the latest firmware. Please go to our website, click on Support, and follow the update instructions for the QX-5. When we made the EX-8, we created a new way (for Ayre) to update firmware more automatically through the network instead of relying on USB sticks. To get to that point, you have to do one more update with the USB so it can start looking on the website. That updates the main firmware.

The network upgrade SHOULD be found automatically when you put the player into standby. It will look at the version on the website and then ask if you'd like to update if it doesn't match. That is the firmware Roon needs to recognize the unit as a preferred player. It also happens that there are some sonic improvements with the Ethernet module in this firmware as well, so I think you'll like it.

Best Regards,

Ryan Berry
Old 11-07-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewire View Post
Firmware version K has been released. Update completed smoothly.

I had issues in the past attempting to update firmware. The symptom was, the display would say updating, but would never finish. The cause was the USB stick I was using. It works fine on PC's and other devices but not for firmware updates? I've tried erasing it, re-formatting it, no luck.

Cheers
That's an interesting one, Firewire...I'm not sure what the cause would be there. We've tested all kinds, but obviously can't test them all. It sounds like you got it sorted, but we are happy to mail you a flash drive that we know works if you ever need one in the future.

Best Regards,

Ryan Berry