AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-28-2020, 12:49 PM

I am not familiar with the speakers you mentioned, so I can not offer any opinion on them.
I have gone through several variations on audio systems for my office over the past 40 years.
I started out with a Reel to Reel tape deck, powered by an old tube amp (do not remember the brand) driving some small acoustic suspension speakers, then a Rotel receiver. Then a Luxman receiver. Then a Carver pre-amp/tuner with Carver power amps (250 wpc). About 20 years ago I got my first McIntosh (MC7270) and have continued my quest for McIntosh ever since then.
Over time I have had several speaker configurations. My best sound was (and still is) a pair of KLH Model Nines (full range electrostatic) with Velodyne subs to care for 50HZ & below. I drove this arrangement with 4 MC2255s in mono mode - one for each of the KLHs and one each for the Velodynes. I used an MEN220 as an active crossover (plus their version of "room perfect") for balancing everything out. I used am MS750 going through an MX118 as source material.
Although the KLHs gave outstanding clarity and detail, they are a little old and do not do much under 45HZ (hence the Velodynes), what really made the system "pop" was the MEN220.
The biggest challenge was finding a place for the KLHs. They are six feet tall, two feet wide, and about 3inches thick. With a little moving client furniture around (having each of the KLHs "butted up" to a side wall) I found a location that does not intrude on office usefulness and (with the help of the MEN20) has very good sound.
If you are like I was, your "office system" will change over time. That is part of the "fun" of an audiophile - looking for the next step in better sound at minimal cost.
Enjoy the "tour" of the quest for better sound for your office system.
Thanks,
Jim