AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Where Pets Rule

Where Pets Rule Fur, Feathers, and Fins!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:06 AM

reading this with 2 Pugs curled up to me.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 AM

Randy you got it exactly right -spot on!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
Never had a dog so far.

I feel for, as much as it is surely a lovely company to have and a super special relationship/bond to build, it is also a major responsibility.

Having moved to a reasonably sized house (from a rather inadequate 100 sq meter flat) maybe it is time to go for one but only if we are able to provide it (him, her) with the care and attention they deserve. Just wanna make sure my kids are up for this and will take up some responsibility, chores, activities with it (he, she) too as the least I want is a neglected or unhappy animal.

I'm thinking either a Boxer or a Viszla

Before ruining my li... erm, getting married, I did have a number of cats (Vladimir, Jasmine, Sam, Pilar, Oscar Ramon (yes I named him that!) and HeathCliff) all of which I keep fond memories of. Maybe it is time for a canine friend although I want to do it the right way and get myself, Paola and the kids all involved and on the same page.
Both the Boxer and Viszla are high energy dogs. A dog that doesn't get it's needs met can be very destructive and undisciplined.

A Dogs needs are in this order according to Caesar Milan, The Dog Whisperer.

1. Exercise
2. Discipline
3. Affection

Dog's are wonderful, we will always have at least one in our household.
2CH Room PMC MB2se(2). JL Audio F113(2). McIntosh C1000C/T, MC2301(2). PS Audio Directstream DSD, PowerPlant 20. Clearaudio Ovation/Magnify/Stradivariv2. Misc: Wireworld Cables and Interconnects. Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS. GIK Acoustics Bass Traps. DIY Computer Audio Transport. Racks. Adona.
TV&Movies PMC EB1i(2), CB1i, OB1i(2). SVS Ultra16(2). McIntosh MC207. Bryston SP4.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:46 AM

Funny you should say that mate. Missus actually met César (Mexican lad crossed the border into the US ilegally and worked his way up) here in BA a couple of years ago, which sort of planted the seed for she and the boys to want a dog.

BUT -this is a very very serious decision and required a lot of planning and figuring things out. I will only allow this (would like the Boxer myself!) if the kids, who are 19, 17 and 11 are willing to commit, help out and be responsible when it comes to the upbringing of these lovely creatures. Would not want it to suffer, not for a moment so if the conditions aren't 100% ideal I will not have it.

Since last week I work 2 jobs now (was hoping to actually diminish the workload a bit but couldn't say no as it involves my football/soccer national sides and you just don't say No to your nation / flag do you). So everyone in this household would have to be willing to commit and put work into it so that a dog makes this its home and all of their needs are well taken care of. Otherwise it'd be rather cruel to add one to the family and have it suffer.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfeTe View Post
I will only allow this (would like the Boxer myself!) if the kids, who are 19, 17 and 11 are willing to commit...
I'd suggest you only do it if you want and are committed and prepared to raise and care for a dog yourself. Kids at that age may be well-intentioned in their commitment, but they are still growing and their interests and the demands on their time will change. They will get involved in new activities, or go away to college, or get girl/boy-friends, and you will end up with the dog. So just a suggestion, but from personal experience I'd suggest you only get a dog if you really want one yourself, and consider any participation from your kids as a nice bonus.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 PM

Much appreciated Tony. Yes very serious analysis / weighing up before making any decision indeed.

These creatures are so unique and you just cannot replicate how sensitive they can get or how they feel about you. All the more reason to be very, very certain that one wants to bring them to one's household and care for as they deserve.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:12 PM

You could swap the word "dog" with "girlfriend"...
Old 07-11-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
You could swap the word "dog" with "girlfriend"...
Do an experiment.

Park two cars on your driveway. Lock your dog in the trunk of one car and your wife/girlfriend/SO in the other. Come back in an hour to release them. See who is happy to see you. NOTHING can replace a dog.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 PM

Why dogs are better than cats:

The Dog’s Diary:

08:00 - Dog food! My favorite thing!
09:30 - A car ride! My favorite thing!
09:40 - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
Noon - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat’s Diary:

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a “good little hunter” I am. Those bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of “allergies.” I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.

For now.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Guys...this is a great thread...thank you for all the posts!!!