AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Audio Racks & Furniture

Audio Racks & Furniture Attractive and Functional Display for Gear

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-13-2019, 11:25 PM
Imapo Imapo is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Default

I have my Simaudio Moon 700i integrated amp on a Grand Prix Monaco amp stand on Grand Prix Apex “Magic” feet. Huge audio improvement was made getting the amp on a stand with isolation.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:56 AM
Levitator's Avatar
Levitator Levitator is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sunshine State, Australia
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imapo View Post
I have my Simaudio Moon 700i integrated amp on a Grand Prix Monaco amp stand on Grand Prix Apex “Magic” feet. Huge audio improvement was made getting the amp on a stand with isolation.

Nice! Have heard good things about the Grand Prix gear...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:57 AM
Levitator's Avatar
Levitator Levitator is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sunshine State, Australia
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
The majority of stands lift your amps off the floor but there are stands that offer isolation and vibration control - the difference can be impressive.



SRA Virginia Class or Ohio Class amp stands

Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:14 AM
JMD JMD is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 341
Default

If they were fine sounding to you sitting on your Quadraspire rack then moving them to the matching amp stands gets you to the same place for reasonable money. If you think you need more isolation then put them on IsoAcoustic Gaia's or Rollerblocks. No need for multi-thousand dollar amp stands in my humble opinion. Especially ones that go for $10,000 a pair and up.
__________________
Jack

Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12-SE, PS Audio BHK Preamp & 250 amp, Teac NT-505, Directstream DAC/Bridge II, JVC QL-Y7, Vista Phono 2, TWL cable, PI Audio Uberbuss, Equi=Core 1800
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:39 AM
Levitator's Avatar
Levitator Levitator is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sunshine State, Australia
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
If they were fine sounding to you sitting on your Quadraspire rack then moving them to the matching amp stands gets you to the same place for reasonable money. If you think you need more isolation then put them on IsoAcoustic Gaia's or Rollerblocks. No need for multi-thousand dollar amp stands in my humble opinion. Especially ones that go for $10,000 a pair and up.

Agree! I’ve not used the IsoAcoustic footers but read some positive things about them and will see if I can trial some...the other option is to use some spare stillpoints I have
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:40 PM
PHC1 PHC1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 19,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitator View Post
Hi all

I’ve had to rearrange my rack to better organise things and decided to move my Mac 1.2KW’s out from the bottom shelf so things are not so cramped. I actually don’t mind the look of the Amps sitting beside each speaker and then my Quadraspire rack in the middle.

The big question is whether sitting the amps straight on the floor, given I have a suspended bamboo floor, is the best place for the amp as opposed to putting it on some amp stands. I’m more worried about resonance than dust....

I’d love to hear what others have done or found in terms of placing amps directly on the floor v stands or even footers under the amps.
I've parked my McIntosh gear on the hardwood floor for many years with zero problems. (I would not do it on carpet due to static.)

Actually the advantage of NOT using a rack in that room was that the components were on the right of my listening position, not front and center and the harsh reflections from the McIntosh glass components were much more evident than any benefit from a rack as I later discovered.

The gear being on the floor and down low allowed me to much more successfully treat the first reflection points in the room instead of components with glass being in the way.

There are NO components in audio systems that are proven to be sensitive to vibration in terms of "operational difference". Temperature, YES, Vibration NO. (I'm talking about actual electronic components like transistors, resistors, inductors, capacitors, etc...)

If the vibration is strong enough to cause "fatigue" and failure, you will have many more problems other than the stereo system.

FWIW and YMMV

Last edited by PHC1; 07-14-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Macuser's Avatar
Macuser Macuser is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Connectitax
Posts: 213
Default

I have my mc1201's sitting on stands 17'' high. Given their 150lb weight it was an easy decision as I move them around by myself. It was much easier for me to load them onto the stands rather than bend all the way to the floor. It's also much easier to hook up the cabling on the backside. Another benefit is earlier this year when I installed Ivan's handles and an led lighting upgrade it made things very easy as all I had to was slide them forward to gain access to the screws on the bottom of the amps. This was much easier than unhooking the amps and flipping them over on their backs.
__________________
McintoshC100, D100, MVP831, MC1201's Ivan's Handles, Polk sda 1.2tl's, Def tech pf1800, Furutech flux50, Furman IT Reference i20, Clearaudio emotion+satisfy w stradivari, MIT Shotguns, Shunyata research
Mcintosh C33, MC2255, MR80, Klipsch Khorns
Mcintosh D100, Proton d1200, ADS L1530's
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-18-2019, 06:47 PM
Charles Charles is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I've parked my McIntosh gear on the hardwood floor for many years with zero problems. (I would not do it on carpet due to static.)

Actually the advantage of NOT using a rack in that room was that the components were on the right of my listening position, not front and center and the harsh reflections from the McIntosh glass components were much more evident than any benefit from a rack as I later discovered.

The gear being on the floor and down low allowed me to much more successfully treat the first reflection points in the room instead of components with glass being in the way.

There are NO components in audio systems that are proven to be sensitive to vibration in terms of "operational difference". Temperature, YES, Vibration NO. (I'm talking about actual electronic components like transistors, resistors, inductors, capacitors, etc...)

If the vibration is strong enough to cause "fatigue" and failure, you will have many more problems other than the stereo system.

FWIW and YMMV

Agree. Mine (3 1.25 KW's) are on 3/4" cultured marble slabs on an oriental rug below which is a very solid hardwood floor. I wouldn't dream of elevating them. My other equipment is a minimum of 11' from my speakers well out of my sound field next to my sofa. Stands and racks place the equipment up into the sound field. When I was dong my power conditioners I went with a longer power cord for that express purpose: keep all power conditioners on floor and out of the sound field. Don't stack or place anything in the sound field close to speakers, if possible. Some things are unavoidable but coffee tables etc. are a no no. Bottom line: think out your system carefully and you will have success.

Last edited by Charles; 07-18-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-19-2019, 08:55 AM
Levitator's Avatar
Levitator Levitator is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sunshine State, Australia
Posts: 450
Default

Thanks Charles - unfortunately it is almost impossible in my room to have my rack and equipment not between, albeit slightly behind, the speakers. I was more concerned about whether the amps on the wooden floor given it is suspended may cause some vibration issues but it appears it may not judging by comments from some other members...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-19-2019, 09:30 AM
SCAudiophile's Avatar
SCAudiophile SCAudiophile is offline
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Greer SC
Posts: 2,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitator View Post
Thanks Charles - unfortunately it is almost impossible in my room to have my rack and equipment not between, albeit slightly behind, the speakers. I was more concerned about whether the amps on the wooden floor given it is suspended may cause some vibration issues but it appears it may not judging by comments from some other members...
If you have amps on the floor you should based upon what I have found at least put them on Stillpoints of sufficient load-bearing capability or on some other quality footers. Vibrations of some level are part of the equation with wood flooring...
__________________
Legacy Audio CaliberXD,Legacy Foundation Subs with Legacy Wavelet with HDPlex 200W LPSU & Revelation Audio Labs Passage Cryo-Silver DC Umbilical, Esoteric P-02, D-02, Legacy PowerBloc2, Cybershaft Premium Limited v2 OP21 10 MHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPHON QR, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 & EP2750, CH Copper Busbar Main & GE Sub-panel, 20-amp dedicated, Dual 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD bonding, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes, Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Power cords, Elrod Statement Gold Power cords, Elrod Statement Silver Power cord, Elrod Statement Gold XLR, Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm, Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50, Shunyata SIGMA XLR, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron XLR, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Elrod MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS, Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints UltraSS w/Ultra Bases

Apple MacBook Pro 15”, 6-core i9, 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSDm Audirvana+ v3, iTunes
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase