AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Sounds like a ground issue then, maybe worth just connecting a wire from the earth socket on the Lamm to a chassis point on the SS power amp to see if it drops the noise floor. Or try a different IC.
:
Thanks Glisse,
I have tried both, but the noise did not disappear, and indeed I am quite sure it is not a ground loop. I tried four amps. with the 2.1, tube monoblocks, a digital switching design a previous class a/ab & my current class a/ab. The noise floor was the lowest with the tube amps. as I mentioned earlier, it was present with the digital switching design but at a much lower level and is at a higher level with the current amps. I have seen posts - in other forums - by other users of Lamm equipment of some noise, and I also read somewhere that amp. matching is criticial with these. An user reported elevated noise level with his Lamm l2 reference and few others corroborated.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited by sidvee; 01-03-2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
What is the gain of the SS amp and the gain of Tube amp?
Can you describe the noise?
Not sure about the gain, and I have set the Lamm gain switch to low gain. The noise is a hiss from the tweeters, does not vary with volume. Anyways like I said it does not bother me at my listening position, even in totally quite passages so I am fine with it.

Cheers,
Sid
Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 AM

This week end, I hooked up 2 different preamps in my setup, specifically to investigate the noise floor of the system. The 2 preamps. are a Parasound JC2 that is currently being used in my bedroom system and a Prism Orpheus DAC/Analog Volume control that I borrowed from a friend of mine. No question about it, both of these preamps produced less noise from my speakers, however the Lamm was the best sounding, by far. So the slightly elevated noise floor level apart, the Lamm is here to stay.
Cheers,
Sid
Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidvee View Post
This week end, I hooked up 2 different preamps in my setup, specifically to investigate the noise floor of the system. The 2 preamps. are a Parasound JC2 that is currently being used in my bedroom system and a Prism Orpheus DAC/Analog Volume control that I borrowed from a friend of mine. No question about it, both of these preamps produced less noise from my speakers, however the Lamm was the best sounding, by far. So the slightly elevated noise floor level apart, the Lamm is here to stay.
Cheers,
Sid
At some point, I'll be adding a Lamm L2 to mate with my Lamm M1.2. I have yet to hear the combo. But if the M1.2s are any indications of what to expect, then I anticipate it being an exceptional partnership. In fact, I'm so committed to the Lamm pairing that I already purchased the balanced Transparent Audio XL XLR cables in preparation for the L2's arrival. Enjoy

Last edited by thesaint519; 05-17-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
At some point, I'll be adding a Lamm L2 to mate with my Lamm M1.2. I have yet to hear the combo. But if the M1.2s are any indications of what to expect, then I anticipate it being an exceptional partnership. In fact, I'm so committed to the Lamm pairing that I already purchased the balanced Transparent Audio XL XLR cables in preparation for hte L2's arrival. Enjoy
The L2 should mate very well with the M1.2's. This will be a killer amplification component. Cheers,
Sid
Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Cheers,
Sid
Do you use any power conditioning devices or noise reducing power cables with the Lamm preamp?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Do you use any power conditioning devices or noise reducing power cables with the Lamm preamp?
When I reviewed the LL2.1 for sound stage a few years back, it found minimal impact from either the power cords or conditioning I tried with it at that time - possibly the least impacted component I'd experienced in that regard - and a fact I found remarkable as almost any component receives some benefit from power conditioning. That's not to say the L2 (which I haven't heard), may not be different, but it wouldn't surprise me if the same didn't hold true for it. Without a scientific explanation, I give credit to the quality of the Lamm power supply. If you throw enough power conditioning at it, there will be a benefit, but I'd be inclined to run in the L2 thoroughly and acclimate my ears before purchasing upgrades or add-ons - well, except maybe for some NOS 12AX3s. :->
Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I use a balanced power transformer and all my equipment is hooked into it, for convenience sake as the outlets are a little further away. I have not hooked up the lamm directly to the outlets so cannot comment on that. As far as power cords are concerned, right now I am using a Shunyata diamondback, before that I used a Audio Art Power 1 se. Could not tell any difference between the two though, so I would tend to agree with Tima. I think any reasonable power cord should be fine.
Cheers,
Sid
Old 06-09-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I use a balanced power transformer and all my equipment is hooked into it, for convenience sake as the outlets are a little further away. I have not hooked up the lamm directly to the outlets so cannot comment on that. As far as power cords are concerned, right now I am using a Shunyata diamondback, before that I used a Audio Art Power 1 se. Could not tell any difference between the two though, so I would tend to agree with Tima. I think any reasonable power cord should be fine.
Cheers,
Sid
Thanks Sid.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
When I reviewed the LL2.1 for sound stage a few years back, it found minimal impact from either the power cords or conditioning I tried with it at that time - possibly the least impacted component I'd experienced in that regard - and a fact I found remarkable as almost any component receives some benefit from power conditioning. That's not to say the L2 (which I haven't heard), may not be different, but it wouldn't surprise me if the same didn't hold true for it. Without a scientific explanation, I give credit to the quality of the Lamm power supply. If you throw enough power conditioning at it, there will be a benefit, but I'd be inclined to run in the L2 thoroughly and acclimate my ears before purchasing upgrades or add-ons - well, except maybe for some NOS 12AX3s. :->
Thank you .