AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 09-11-2015, 08:51 PM

I love them......

I want to upgrade to 2Ce Signatures.... But I love these with Bryston Amplification.

The Speakers themselves are not the issue. But Bryston Amplification is not cheap either.

I currently using KEF Reference 102's with Adcom Amplification, and that's a fine match right there. But not so with Vandersteen 2Ce's Signatures in my opinion.

--Charles--
Old 01-12-2016, 12:46 AM

I stopped in at a local dealer and heard the Vandersteen 7. A very fine all-around speaker with a balanced, linear and cohesive ground-up presentation. A big soundstage coupled with a very musical and non-fatiguing midrange and treble.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Vandersteen 7 to the Vandersteen 7 MkII? If so, what were the differences you heard?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 01-12-2016, 12:49 AM

I have enjoyed the seven every time I have heard it. I am still waiting to hear the MK II.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:24 AM

I wonder why there is a 10k price difference between the two?
Old 01-22-2016, 01:08 AM

Taters

Mostly to reflect what it takes to make them...there were very few price increases to 7 over the years....Richard looked at what it took and rising mtl costs and also the near constant development work he puts in along with tangible changes and the delta is ten G.
yes I have heard both but not in my room. i went from 5 a with 7 filters to 7 Mk 2 in my room. i have heard 7's at 4 dealers and Richards house. I think I have a decent baseline for what they sound like.
Is the 7 amazing in either config ? i think so.
Think of it this way, the 7 was always underpriced, probably still is.
I am just getting about 600 hours on them...pretty happy hours....

I did have a chance to order the last pair of the old model 7, thought long and hard about it and decided I wanted his best effort. i trust his ear, engineering ability, frugalness, aerospace quality mindset ( he built his own plane ), and his devotion to core design principles unalted thru the years..FFT, 6 Db slopes, time and phase, batt bias, etc..the list goes on and on and on...( yes I am a fan)...

Hope that helps
Old 01-22-2016, 01:28 AM

I know the Treos will be fun in a couple of months when I upgrade from my 2CE Sig II's. Can't wait!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:14 AM

Long, I bought the Treo's right as they were coming out with the CT's, but it was too late for me to get the CT version. I have LOVED every minute with them. They are even better, in my system, than any of the great reviews say they are. I will however be upgrading to the Quatro's as soon as I can sell the Treo's. It's a huge step up in price for me, but in my room, I need the adjustable bass. If I didn't, I'd keep these beautiful looking speakers for years and years. If I don't get a fair offer for the Treo's, I'll just happily listen to them and not worry.

You just can't go wrong with any of Richard's designs. They are fast, clear and without the smearing that others have (most folks don't even realize their speakers are smearing, but most do) that they draw you in emotionally. I've found that he puts so much into his speakers, that they really are underpriced at times compared to others on the market, who just use off the shelf drivers. A Wilson dealer I'm close with just laughs at how inexpensive the Wilson drivers are. He said they do very little modification on their drivers and they are not expensive to replace. I was in shock when he shared that so openly. I have spoken to many dealers about this, including other Wilson dealers, and they all agreed. They then joke about many of their top lines doing the same. Folks have to figure out where to spend their money and there are many great designs out there, but Richard either heavily modifies (rebuilds an off the shelf driver) or just builds them.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:51 AM

I am sold on Vandersteen from a performance perspective. Every model has been a steal at the price point. The Treo's are also gorgeous for my design tastes. My decision is coming down to the Treo CT's and something completely different, the Enigmacoustics M1 monitors with the Sopranino tweeters. Floorstander or Stand mounted. Both are 85db. M1's are 4Ohm vs 6Ohm for the Treo's. Both disappear with terrific soundstage and placement. Either way I am going to enjoy whatever one I pick.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:02 PM

If my schedule allows I plan on auditioning the Quatro Wood CT's this coming Fri. I haven't heard Vandy's since a few years back @ RMAF and I was quite pleased then.

It's a shame Richard does not have a dealer closer to Philly but I've known John Rutan @ Audio Connection for quite some time and I'm sure he'll have a nice set up.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:00 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

There's a great review of the Treo CT in the April issue of TAS!!