AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 03-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Colekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubkarma View Post
This is more of an analogy than a direct answer to your K-01X vs. P-02/D-02 question, but so far, in comparing the P-03/D-03 to the K-03X, I find the former more dynamic with more articulate LF, but the latter more delicate and refined in the HF.This is without using an outboard master clock with either set-up. And perhaps even more alarming—and to me puzzling—so far I prefer the P-03 driving my old Universal Audio 2192 ADC/DAC/clock to either of the other two. FWIW, the UA 2192 uses the AKM 4396 chip and a discrete analogue output stage that runs as hot as a 50-watt pure class A power amp. Comparative listening, nevertheless, is ongoing.
Hey Dubkarma, Those are very revealing observations, and once again prove that listening at home is the only true gauge of how these players will sound when cabled in and set up in our listening rooms. There is clearly a difference between the K's and the prior generation Esoterics, but that doesn't make them superior, Esoteric seems to have voiced them differently, therefore they may not appeal to all listeners.
The biggest problem is that there is little chance getting an audition of one these high priced players, for enough time to make a good decision. With the Internet as the main supplier now, we are forced to make decisions based on what we read in Forums, or trust a quick listening session on someone else's set up. And obliviously, impulse plays a big role. And seems as though, after someone buys a new player, it's always better than the old one by a mile, especially on this Esoteric thread.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:26 PM

Colekat, At the moment I suspect that the reason I find the P-03/D-03 to be superior, overall, to the K-03X, has to do with the transport and, especially, the power supply. The K-03X uses a slightly more "budget" version of the VRDS Neo transport than the P-03. Plus, if I understand it correctly the K-03X uses three transformers (1 for analogue, 1 for digital, 1 small one for control circuitry), while, together the P-03/D-03 use six. Perhaps for that reason the fair and natural unit for comparison with ther P-03/D-03 is not the K-03X, but the K-01X which has a retail price comparable to that of the P-03/D-03 combo. Put another way, while the AKM DACs used in the K-03X may well, by any measure, be superior to the Analogue Devices chips used in the D-03, it may be that at these levels of quality, the quality of the power supply may make more of a difference. Or that the superiority of the AKM DACs aren't fully realized with the (relatively) modest power supply of the K-03X. Then there's the whole question of why, to my ears, the Universal Audio 2192, the design of which goes back to 2003 and which retailed for 1/4 of the price of the D-03, sounds better to me than either the P-03/D-03 or the K-03X. I mean this thing uses a switching power supply and has everything—ADC, DAC, word clock—crammed into a 15 lb., 1 RU case. It doesn't decode SACDs, but with PCM it makes the Esoteric DACs sound somewhat dull and sterile. I won't say more at this time, since as I said in a previous post, it's early days yet, and my opinions may change, as they often do, several times before they settle down. But it is on my mind.

Last edited by dubkarma; 03-04-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Typographical errors!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Why not get dCS Vivaldi DAC instead ? It makes a great sounding combo with the W20 and plays DSD.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, everyone.
In reply to Elberoth , I had the Debussy DAC in my system for long enough to discover that I really didn't care for it. Seemed a bit anaemic to me . I was really expecting to like it but just didn't. Ripped CD FLAC files sounded worse than the originals via my Meridian. Now the Vivaldi may be vastly different , but zero chance of hearing one before. Thanks for the suggestion , though.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 AM

Just to close the loop , I have a KO1X arriving ( with a G01 master clock).
Also, for fun and interest , I'm getting my Meridian 808.3 upgraded to the 808.6 specs which will give me the ability to play with MQA files.I have heard a small selection of MQA files and I'm very intrigued as to the possibilities.
Thanks for all the input to my original question.
Kevin
Old 04-25-2015, 01:10 AM

Jazzluvva, I also own the K-01 and G-01 combination and, after a year, continue to be delighted with its natural timbres, overall clarity and fatigue-free listening experience. I am expect you will be nothing less than thrilled with your new source. Congratulations!

Magico Q3 plus S-Pods, Spectral DMA-500AR, DMC-30SV pre, Esoteric F-03a, Esoteric S-05, Esoteric P02X, N-01XD,
Cybershaft OP21A-D, Roon Nucleus Plus w/S-Booster LPS, Uptone Audio EtherRegen w/ LPS-1.2, MIT Oracle MA-X V2's, Oracle SHD-120 V2, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50’s, Sigma Ethernet’s, Alpha USB-V2, Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI's, MIT Oracle Z-III PC's, Z Power Bar Conditioner, Coherence Systems ADD-Powr Sorcer X4, EAU2, Furutech Flux 50 filters, GTX-D rhodium outlets, service sub panel w/ 4-30 amp dedicated circuits, Stillpoints Ultra 6, Ultra 5, Ultra SS, HRS Damping Plates, Cable Isolators, Sony XBR75ZH8.

Last edited by Yardbird; 04-25-2015 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 PM
Colekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzluvva View Post
Just to close the loop , I have a KO1X arriving ( with a G01 master clock).
Also, for fun and interest , I'm getting my Meridian 808.3 upgraded to the 808.6 specs which will give me the ability to play with MQA files.I have heard a small selection of MQA files and I'm very intrigued as to the possibilities.
Thanks for all the input to my original question.
Kevin
Hey Kevin, Great to hear you are diving in. Can't wait to hear your impressions. Good listening, Tom
Old 04-27-2015, 12:44 AM

anybody know or have an opinion on the sonic differences between k-01 and k-01x?
is the sound signature still basically the same? i see that they have changed the dac to a different model, although same manufacturer.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog brother View Post
anybody know or have an opinion on the sonic differences between k-01 and k-01x?
is the sound signature still basically the same? i see that they have changed the dac to a different model, although same manufacturer.
Clock has changed, so has the output stage, opamps, buffer circuits...

Like the X01, K01 the same transport mechanism used whilst k01 still retains the same power supplies, for the dac prtion....its a whole new dac altogether.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:34 AM

yeah understand all the spec differences; just wanted to know whether the fundamental signature sound has changed or just a variation of the original k-01?