AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Linn

Linn Clean & Precise Music

Old 02-24-2015, 12:01 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskool View Post
Hello Randy, no talk to in a while. How's life in the Bat Cave?

Larry
Hey Larry, good to see you posting again. Big additions here: Esoteric K-01, Stillpoints, Silenzio, Sonos, and Wyred 4 Sound Remedy.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Hey Larry, good to see you posting again. Big additions here: Esoteric K-01, Stillpoints, Silenzio, Sonos, and Wyred 4 Sound Remedy.
Randy, the problem is still the same with me, "I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go!" Its good to get back on posting again. Was not spending as much time until the new TT came around and getting the tubes up to speed brought back the energy.

Great gear lineup there. Was it brought on line a piece at a time or all at once?
Old 02-24-2015, 12:31 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Larry,

I have been thinking about computer sourced music for a while, but the learning curve was stiff. I bought the Stillpoints on a whim and they made such a profound improvement that I started thinking harder about upgrading the system. Shortly after the Stillpoints, I bought the Esoteric K-01, which was another huge improvement. Then the frenzy really kicked in and I bought a Silenzio, a NAS, Sonos Connect, W4S Remedy and a Shunyata MPC-12. So it was kind of like an extended bender. LOL
Old 02-24-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
" I bought the Stillpoints on a whim and they made such a profound improvement that I started thinking harder about upgrading the system. Shortly after the Stillpoints, I bought the Esoteric K-01, which was another huge improvement. Then the frenzy really kicked in and I bought a Silenz So it was kind of like an extended bender. LOL"
I might of guessed it; those darned StillPoints helped put another good audiophile on a bender! LOL Sounds like an awesome system. I went to buy a cartridge and walked out with a Lyra Delos, (still on build order), a Linn LP12 under my arm and now about to order a Power supply for the stupid thing. It all started with my first StillPoints purchase two years ago...LOL
Old 02-28-2015, 02:54 PM

Which MC cartridges might be good starters for an LP12?
Mostly Chicago Blues and old Blues.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgone View Post
Which MC cartridges might be good starters for an LP12?
Mostly Chicago Blues and old Blues.
I'm listeneng to a DynaVector 20x2L (low output) cartridge and it is fabulous on my basic LP12 Majic. It exhibits great flexibility, definition, punch and range on jazz, classical, and Blues. Originally had an Adict and it was just okay although I was still working through loading settings. My previous cart on another TT was a Sumiko Blackbird MC which I would have no problem with as my main cart on an LP12. I have a Lyra Delos ordered that I expect to have in a month or so. My test of it on a LP12 was Aweeeessoomme! These 3 range in price range of $1,000 to $1,650 for the Lyra. There are others to consider but someone else can suggest.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:43 PM

Thanks Olskool, this is good info for me.
Perhaps I should have started another post on this topic?
Old 02-28-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgone View Post
Thanks Olskool, this is good info for me. Perhaps I should have started another post on this topic?
This transition to Linn TT has been a good learning curve for me. The sound I'm getting out of my TT has been shaped by a variety of things: setup of the TT, cart loading settings on the phono pre (big impact with subtleties). Takes a little knowledge or you might think something is wrong with your TT or system. Last and latest surprise was just replaced power tubes, the re-biased - got a completely new stereo out of the deal. It all came together and really made the Linn sound spectacular. In other words the end result sound is dependent on other factors too beside the cart.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskool View Post
Hello guys, here is a report on my recent change to a Linn LP12 Majik TT with basic Project 9CC tone arm, standard power supply and a friends borrowed DynaVector cart (the Adikt did not cut it for me). The move was almost on a lark based on the strong recommendation of my dealer and another audiophile buddy who owns a Linn. It happened while in my dealer's shop ordering a Lyra Delos for my Project Perspex6 to replace the Sumiko BlackBird cart I've been spinning with for more than 5 years. It was time for improvement and things seemed to be getting tired on my current kit.

The Linn came home with me although there was a fair deal of skepticism based on my reading and conversations from people who own them discussing how they Linn TT component upgraded their way to nirvana. It was the thought of the upgrade path that gave me fits. I did not want to sacrifice quality sounds (my Project / Sumiko combo is no slouch) while saving coins to pay for what can be very expensive upgrades. Everyone said the sound would be different but that I would love it, just give it a while and play about 12 to 15 albums before making judgement. They were right, it is an awesome sound! Different because it does not provide the deeper, more gripping bass but it was solid and deep enough (more than expected). It is full of detail but does not image in the same way where each instrument stands individually but rather in a more cohesive "musical" presentation format. They call it "Following the Tune"and it seems to sit very well to me with Jazz and Classical music. It took a while for me to warm up to but let me say it is akin to an acquired taste, like for a fine scotch if all you ever drink is wine. I think I'm hooked on it for good now and can't wait for the upgrade path. It's easy to see why Linn lovers are so adamant. The design is old school all the way, and there is new TT rival designs making major waves but this will work for a while for me although It will be some time before I can get to the big power supply, tone arm, and chassis upgrades. I'd love to hear from Linn owners and their experiences along with any recommendations. Thanks in advance. Olskool
I have always considered a Linn table as I have a Project 9CC arm on my modified Thorens TD160, and have dabbled with a TD150 as well. I ran a Blackbird on the 9CC for a long time, and moved to the Dynavector 20x2 as well and love the results. The Linn upgrades can be a bit intimidating though, which has kept me from the Linn journey. Congratulations on your new table!
Regards,
Jim

Last edited by ehoove; 03-01-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:37 PM

Here is mine heavily modded Linn done 9 years ago.

1.) Swapped the original plinth with a woodsong plinth. The wenge wood is a very dense wood at 54 with a hardness 2235 versus the original cherry density of 54 and a hardness 950. That made my Linn sound very very smooth with tight bass.

2.) Went to OrignLive DC motor. Swapped tonearms for the Encounter MK3 Tonearm

3.) Added the Curkis and Trampoline.

4.) Opted for the Cetech Carbon Fiber board solution vs Linn Keel product.

I really like the sound of Lyra phono carts I'm currently using a Delos, with an Enta as next year surprise birthday gift to me! When I first got the Linn I took it to the local Linn dealer. His look was priceless as I dropped off the table and the borg implants. Yet he rebuilt it, and he and I demo that version against the Linn approved upgraded unit. Let's just I was very proud of my Frankenstein Linn.

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000

Last edited by blacsno; 03-03-2015 at 12:51 PM.