AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 05-04-2016, 07:02 PM

Congrats Gravity. The Diamond Series are outstanding speakers and now an excellent value. I'm in no hurry to exchange my 804 Diamond anytime soon. I did, however, boost their performance with changes to the front end and some minor room treatment. Give the series its due and they will continue to deliver.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio View Post
I have found that I enjoy them more positioned against the long wall of the room and closer to the front wall to reinforce the bass...
I was forced into this arrangement when we moved but I must say the results have been unexpectedly impressive.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
I was forced into this arrangement when we moved but I must say the results have been unexpectedly impressive.
I found after adding the JL F110 my bass issues were more than satisfied. I have turned it off several times to see the difference and it's massive. Highly recommend adding a sub.

C2500 | MC452 | MT10 | B&W 802 D2 | (2) Sub JL Fathom F112 | Mac Pro
Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity1 View Post
I found after adding the JL F110 my bass issues were more than satisfied. I have turned it off several times to see the difference and it's massive. Highly recommend adding a sub.
Oh adding a sub in the majority of cases will produce better results........ My Futuras with the REL G1 sound better........
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 05-06-2016, 07:12 PM

+1 on adding a sub or preferably 2! But, seamless integration is key.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio View Post
+1 on adding a sub or preferably 2! But, seamless integration is key.
Yes, and it's without a doubt an addition that one could easily hear the improvement immediately. Of course the fine tuning can take some time between sub location and crossover settings but WOW what a massive difference and that's using with my 802s. I actually had a chance to use the JL sub with my 805s and the MA5200 before I upgraded and it was of course an even more profound transformation for obvious reasons. I'm a huge advocate of mods one could actually do a double blind test with and call the change correctly every time. Not many mods can yield those results but adding a sub will do just that.

On a side note: I'm a massive fan of double blind testing which I know is a very touchy subject in the Audiophile community in general but for me facts and truth are very important, especially with the the cost of these high end upgrades and accessories. I have no issue with someone enjoying something regardless if it is more a phychological benefit than an actual physical one. For instance my MT10...I know that for me that purchase was almost 100% for asthetics but the gratification I get from that alone is worth it. Could I tell the difference in a blind test using a table that's 10% of the cost or less with the same cartridge... I highly doubt it. For me I just like to know the real differences and the only way I know how to do that is blind testing. Trick is getting the equipment and time to do it, which is why I was so fortunate to do the test with the 802 D2 & D3s.

I am currently working on a similar interconnect test but need some more time to get a few more varieties on borrow. So far have a good cross section of Speaker Cables and a few USBs as well. Could use more XLR and RCA samples so if anyone in the LA area would like to be lend their interconnects you'd be encouraged to be present for and participate in this blind test as well. As things progress I'll start a new thread for it.

Last edited by Gravity1; 05-06-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:09 PM

Love the shared process you detailed... Congrats on the 802 D2..

Indeed one of the best in my opinion...

Jimmy
BEDROOM: Naim Uniti Atom, Nordost Cables, Harbeth P3ESR
Old 05-14-2016, 07:30 AM

Great opportunity to be able to listen to all of those speakers side by side. That is a fair representation of what your are hearing from all speakers rather than from memory when you are dealing with more than one store.
Congratulations on your 802D.
It's only been a year but I am very much enjoying my 803diamonds as I did my 804S speakers but only more!
Old 05-14-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemeanies View Post
Great opportunity to be able to listen to all of those speakers side by side. That is a fair representation of what your are hearing from all speakers rather than from memory when you are dealing with more than one store.
Congratulations on your 802D.
It's only been a year but I am very much enjoying my 803diamonds as I did my 804S speakers but only more!
Thank you. Yes, been thoroughly enjoying them.

I truly think it is the only way one should buy components and definitely when they are upgrades. A shame it is very difficult to do in most instances with the cost and size of many items one would want to compare, not to mention getting them all in one place with someone who is willing to help you blind test them. Sadly it is usually in front of a salesman or going off someone else's recommendation so your ears are more likely to hear what your mind has already decided and not the truth. Of course there is an aesthetic appeal which is a huge factor as well. I am guilty as charged in this category as I just had to have that stack of glowing blue lights

Old 07-22-2016, 04:56 PM

... same choice made here by the way. I also agree on every point of your review. I was actually making a choice between the 800D2, 802D2 and the 802/803D3 and also had the Wilson Audio Sophia 3 in mind.

I ended with the 802D2 - as they have the by FAR best value.

I actually found the 802D2 to be equal to the 800D2 (bigger Bassextension was all I could hear and that was more disturbing than positive in a normal sized room - speaking up to 40 m2 the 802 is enough). The D3 Series just can`t justify the jump in price and sounded a bit more transparent at best - but certainly not better or more musical. Optics go right to the 802D2.

It actually feels like B&W are trying to go new ways with the D3 and are leaving familiar paths - this may suit some - for me it didn`t work out.

Sophia fell way behind the 802D2 - no comparison. But then I`ve always had my problems with the inverse focal HT.