AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by xconcepts View Post
So I'm kind of set on having to get one of these units since I have the credit line though Magnolia. So they recommend I go with the Furman Reference i15, however I have been looking at the Panamax 5400 seeing as there is nearly a 1500 difference in price. Though I don't really want to cheap out if the Furman is a better unit for the Mac MX150 and MC275 I bought.
xconcepts.......The Furman 15i is a respected AC line power conditioner, designed using what Furman describes as Discrete Symmetrical Balanced Power. This completely isolates the filtered high current outlets from each other, while eliminating ground loops and AC line noise. Furman's proprietary Dual-Screen transformers are used to filter the widest bandwidth possible that helps ensure a dark noise floor, in addition to using Furman's Series Multi-Stage Protection AC surge protection. The Furman Reference 15i is designed to handle the power needs of high-end audio systems and home theater systems, and should be a great addition to the MX150 and MC275. Your dealer is steering you in the right direction.

There are lots of fine power conditioners and AC regenerator/conditioners on the market representing a broad price spectrum. For the money, Furman offers a great line of products from a comapny that's been in business for 38 years.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Derek.......Neither. A panel mounted surge protector can be mounted inside the electrical service panel and fed with a two pole circuit breaker mounted nearest to your panel's incoming service wires, or a surge protector can be mounted external to the electrical panel and fed in the same manner as the internal surge protector using a two pole circuit breaker mounted nearest to your panel's incoming service wires.

I use Ditek residential surge protectors, one on the main disconnect below my meter base and a second one on my electrical panel inside my home. I rely on the Ditek DTK-120/240HD2 Home Surge Protector, capable of 100,000A of surge current capacity and diagnostic LEDs to indicate power and surge protection status. It is a parallel connected AC surge protector and is available in a standard external enclosure or a flush mount enclosure. These surge protectors include a ten year warranty.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
xconcepts.......The Furman 15i is a respected AC line power conditioner, designed using what Furman describes as Discrete Symmetrical Balanced Power. This completely isolates the filtered high current outlets from each other, while eliminating ground loops and AC line noise. Furman's proprietary Dual-Screen transformers are used to filter the widest bandwidth possible that helps ensure a dark noise floor, in addition to using Furman's Series Multi-Stage Protection AC surge protection. The Furman Reference 15i is designed to handle the power needs of high-end audio systems and home theater systems, and should be a great addition to the MX150 and MC275. Your dealer is steering you in the right direction.

There are lots of fine power conditioners and AC regenerator/conditioners on the market representing a broad price spectrum. For the money, Furman offers a great line of products from a comapny that's been in business for 38 years.
jdandy; thanks for the insight. All in all, I was looking for a power conditioner and surge protector. I was told that the unit does both. Though I mentioned the Panamax because it was there top of the line that can still be purchased, I was looking at the 7500-MAX but told it is no longer available. And it appeared to do about the same.

Though I do agree with many on here that I don't want to cheap out on the conditioner from what I can get.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
There is a Furman IT-Reference 15 on the goN right now for auction price of $675 w/a PC too. Reserve has been met. 1 day left. (seller states it's an 'i' -- don't believe it is)

Just sayin;

Happy Holidays Folks,

Bob
Gotta ask what is the goN?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Gotta ask what is the goN?
The Audiogon website

AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community
Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM

So the furman from goN is the older reference 15. Anyone use it before? Would there be any major differences between this and the new 15i? If not I'd be OK with the older 15.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
So the furman from goN is the older reference 15. Anyone use it before? Would there be any major differences between this and the new 15i? If not I'd be OK with the older 15.
Just a quick look around the world wide web (sounds like something CBS came up with), the newer 'i' or "enhanced version":

This new, enhanced version of the IT-Reference 15 features a redesigned modern chassis along with a front-panel convenience AC outlet, plus an improved power supply that's quieter than ever.

I've attached the two manuals for your comparison.

Happy Holidays Folks,

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Furman_ITRef15i_Manual.pdf (627.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf IT-REFERENCE-15_manual.pdf (2.07 MB, 5 views)
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Just a quick look around the world wide web (sounds like something CBS came up with), the newer 'i' or "enhanced version":

This new, enhanced version of the IT-Reference 15 features a redesigned modern chassis along with a front-panel convenience AC outlet, plus an improved power supply that's quieter than ever.

I've attached the two manuals for your comparison.

Happy Holidays Folks,

Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the manuals. It looks like besides the redesigned chassis and the front AC outlet and power supply, it has "Three HD ready bidirectional coaxial surge suppression modules" from the manual that isn't on the older 15.

In all honesty I'm just looking for opinions on which Furman to go with now. I hate making decisions like this, lol.

Last edited by xconcepts; 12-05-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 PM

I hate to bump this so early but with the other furman ending in 7 hours I'd like to get a couple opinions on if I'd be ok with the older unit compared to the 15i.

Chad
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM

I can't speak for the 15 but I actually have an original IT-Reference, which is what turned into the 20i over the years and it's great. The thing weighs almost 90lbs and has been in action since the fall of 2003 and is still going strong. Based on this I would say the old 15 would do just fine especially if you don't have a need for the coaxial module.