AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 02-16-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA View Post
hi Bertrand.
i have all Transparent Audio power cable, interconnect and speaker cable in my system and wondering whether to use TA power conditioner or Furutech Daytona. i ask because you have both brands
Hi Alfa,

I am sorry for the delay, but I was in the middle of the sea and had no internet for several weeks.

I don't know the Furutech Daytona. I only use the Furutech e-TP309 as a plain power distributor on which I have plugged two Transparent PIMM (one for the CD player, one for the preamp). The amplifier is directly plugged on the Furutech e-TP309 without PIMM (I didn't hear much differences with and without the PIMM).

The power cords are all Transparent PLMM2X and the signal cables are all Transparent Reference (MM2 generation).

I also used a Furutech Power Reference III, which is a very nice power cord, especially compared to the stock power cord; it brings dynamic and accuracy. But when I compared the Transparent PLMM2X to the Furutech Power Reference III, I much preferred the Transparent for the music's foundation and coherence it provides. Maybe too there is a synergy with the Transparent signal cables, as Jfrech reports for the Opus line.

Bertrand
Old 02-18-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
I think it's best not to mix n match brand on conditioners and cords. They are usually built as a system. So if you're going to use brand x cord then stick with that brand on the conditioner.

I now have 2 Transparent Opus Power cords. Both going right to the wall (for amp and pre).

All my sources are plugged into a Shunyata Tritonv2/DPC-6v2/Typhon with Sigma or Anaconda Zitron cords.

Alfa: As far as why pass labs says go right to the wall, i suspect it minimizes current loss. Every connection adds resistance. I've always liked my amps to the wall...
Jfrech, did you have the opportunity to compare the Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2 with a Transparent Power Isolator?

Bertrand
Old 02-18-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picto View Post
Jfrech, did you have the opportunity to compare the Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2 with a Transparent Power Isolator?

Bertrand
No, I'm happy with my Shunyata set up...have had other things to focus like clock cables etc...sorry I can't help out here...

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10 w/ Transparent Opus Power Cord
Amp: Nagra Classic Amp w/ Transparent Opus Power Cord
Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x4), Sigma HC & Analog (x4)
Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x3)
Old 02-25-2016, 07:10 PM

i tried the TA power isolator reference and did not like it. made the sound unnatural to my ears.
The Shunyata VRay sounded natural but took away a little weight/gravitas.
The Furutech Daytona 303 created a wide soundstage but alas also took away the weight and authority.
i prefer Blues and rock to sound visceral, at which the Sasha's excel.
i have since installed 2 more dedicated 20 amp power lines. now i have 1 each for the Pass Labs monoblocks and the third for the MSB Transport and DAC.
waiting for all the cable to settle in and experiment again. something thats tiring me out.
BTW three dedicated line are better than one. the mono blocks have more life, bass is tighter, mids and highs have more detail and presence.
i am also listening at lower volume level.

i will try the Daytona and Vray again on the source units.

To the TA users : will one TA powerisolater MM on my DAC and Transport give me the best solution ?
I am also considering Furutech Flux 50 on each source

Last edited by ALFA; 02-25-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFA View Post
i tried the TA power isolator reference and did not like it. made the sound unnatural to my ears.
The Shunyata VRay sounded natural but took away a little weight/gravitas.
The Furutech Daytona 303 created a wide soundstage but alas also took away the weight and authority.
i prefer Blues and rock to sound visceral, at which the Sasha's excel.
i have since installed 2 more dedicated 20 amp power lines. now i have 1 each for the Pass Labs monoblocks and the third for the MSB Transport and DAC.
waiting for all the cable to settle in and experiment again. something thats tiring me out.
BTW three dedicated line are better than one. the mono blocks have more life, bass is tighter, mids and highs have more detail and presence.
i am also listening at lower volume level.

i will try the Daytona and Vray again on the source units.

To the TA users : will one TA powerisolater MM on my DAC and Transport give me the best solution ?
I am also considering Furutech Flux 50 on each source
I think the newer Shunyata Hydra's like the Triton and Triton v2 will address your comment on the hydra vray which I also used to own. In fact I thought the Triton vs the vray is a whole new ball game. The Triton v2 is better still...

I haven't tried a Transparent PIMM...so no comment there...curious what others chime in with..

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10
Amp: Nagra Classic Amp
Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
Power Transparent Opus Power Cord (x4)
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Sigma HC & Analog (x4)
Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x3)
Old 02-27-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
I haven't tried a Transparent PIMM...so no comment there...curious what others chime in with..
Here are the results of my trials with one Transparent PIMM (two outlets):

1 - No PIMM at all in the system: the soundstage was smaller with reduced depth and less overall definition.
2 - The amplifier (ARC D70MkII) plugged alone into the PIMM: slightly more sound texture especially on voices.
3 - The preamplifier (ARC LS17SE) plugged alone into the PIMM: greater dynamic range and slightly more definition.
4 - The CD player (Classe Audio CDP100) plugged alone into the PIMM: much wider and deeper stage, much more definition with more clarity and less background noise bringing small details and slight nuances to a listenable level, deep bass with a lot of presence and control which generates more musical involvement.

I also tried to plug the amp and preamp together into the PIMM, as well as the preamp and the CD player together, but these couplings never reached the soundstage and the definition performed with the CD player plugged alone into the PIMM.

I ended with one PIMM for the CD player alone and a second PIMM for the preamp alone, the amp being directly plugged to the main power.

Bertrand
Old 02-27-2016, 01:59 PM

I have a RGPC Powerhouse. I used to have everything plugged into it. It has 20-20amp outlets. Over the years and changes/upgrade, I got away from RGPC and went with Transparent. I have 3 PIMM's for my 3 ARC Ref250's and won't ever look back. The difference is huge in all audiophile areas. I have 2 Transparent PIR's for ARC Ref5se & Refph2se and Aurender N100H and Esoteric K-03X. Plus all Transparent Gen5 Ref loom. I've never been happier. RGPC Powerhouse is still in use for Sat receivers and Mc MX-151 and other misc. stuff. I'm a firm believer in which ever brand one decides on, use it through-out the entire system. Once I completed my Transparent transformation, the true magic appeared! YMMV

SCOTT

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
dCS Vivaldi Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
REL No.32 x 2
REL Carbon Special x 2
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!

New York

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 2
dCS Rossini Dac
dCS Rossini Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2
REL No.25 x 2
Roon Nucleus+
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!
Old 03-20-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotth View Post
I have a RGPC Powerhouse. I used to have everything plugged into it. It has 20-20amp outlets. Over the years and changes/upgrade, I got away from RGPC and went with Transparent. I have 3 PIMM's for my 3 ARC Ref250's and won't ever look back. The difference is huge in all audiophile areas. I have 2 Transparent PIR's for ARC Ref5se & Refph2se and Aurender N100H and Esoteric K-03X. Plus all Transparent Gen5 Ref loom. I've never been happier. RGPC Powerhouse is still in use for Sat receivers and Mc MX-151 and other misc. stuff. I'm a firm believer in which ever brand one decides on, use it through-out the entire system. Once I completed my Transparent transformation, the true magic appeared! YMMV SCOTT
That's a great post. I've tried their substation many years ago when I ran Levinson 33H monos, and couldn't determine any discernible differences. Since I added the PIMMs to compliment all the TA Ref XL cabling, my whole music library has opened up. I'd love to hear more about the Gen V loom. I'm using the previous iteration of Ref XL.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:10 PM

having tried Shunyata Typhon I and Furutech flux 50 i remain unimpressed .
Waiting for the Shunyata Denali series.