AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Default MSS HiFi Took my Money

Hello my friends,

A friend of mine, Jean Luc, who is a new member here ( clad7) ordered a new pair of 1.2 kW monoblocks at MSS HIFI, NY.
He's asking me an advice, and his story is rather disturbing so I thought the best way to answer him would be to ask to my very good friends here first.

He sent the money by wire transfer on 7 th april. MSS HiFi said they would send the amp converted in 240 V.
After receiving the money, they did not send to Jean Luc (JL) any confirmation.
On april 14th, JL asked them if they got the money.
On april 15th, they replied " Yes, we have received the funds. We have sent the amplifiers to McIntosh factory for voltage conversion yesterday. We will let you know as soon as they are ready."
My first question here is : do they need to send the amps to Mc to do this ? It is so simple I did myself on the 2301's !
On May 2nd, JL sent this message :
"Good morning Johnny,
more than 15 days you wrote me, and since this day, no knews . . .
What happens ?"
One day after, they replied : "Will check with the factory today.
Johnny Boey"
May 5th, JL writes : "OK, Johnny,
and the following answer is ? ? ? ? "
He got no answer. So, on may 9th, JL writes again :
"Johnny,
you wrote me you check with the factory the 3rd of may.
Today is 9 of may . . .
Always no news !
What happens ?
Do you think it is serious "
On may 10th, they reply :
"They are still at the factory. Should be ready next week.
Johnny Boey"
May 19th : JL writes :
"last week you wrote me : "They are still at the factory. Should be ready next week"
Nine days (more than a week !) have passed . . .
I'm always waiting, without news from you, if I do'nt send you a mail ! ! !
I think you are not serious . "
May 30: MSS replies a funny answer :
"Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting MSS Hifi.
Leaders of the Free World The World's Busiest High -End Audio Store
One of our sales team members will get right back to you. Thank You!!
MSS Hifi"
June 10th: JL writes :
"Dear Sir,
I haven’t received any answer from you for more than two weeks. Please come back to me ASAP.
However it is disappointing, if I don’t hear from you in the following days, I will take it as a proof that you are not serious, nor honest. Thus I will ask my bank to cancel the order transfer of 13 000 Euros and I will contact my American lawyer to take the necessary legal measures.
I hope this is only a misunderstanding and we will find a solution quickly.
I’m looking forward to receiving your reply.
Regards"
He got no answer so on june 15th, JL writes this on my advice :
"Dear Sir,
I haven’t received any answer from you for more than three weeks ! it is not acceptable to get such lack of interest in a regular business transaction.
As a loyal customer asking for informations, I deserve to get those informations.
I was planning to order to you a high end preamp also, but I will reserve this until I receive the amplifiers I have ordered.
If I don’t get any reply to my query this week, I will regret it but I will have to post a message on the web site "audioaficionado.org" to describe my problem and to inform my friends there.
Let me precise to you that I am a highly respected and active member on this site, since its creation in april 2009. I'm sure that you would not appreciate the effects of such a bad feedback on the most popular high end audio forum on the web and I would really like to avoid this.
Best wishes."
On June 16th, they finally answer this :
"Just checked with the factory. They still have not worked on them yet. They promised us by the end of the month, definitely.
Johnny Boey"

JL is very worried by the fact that since april, and the wire transfer, nothing really moved from MSS HIFI.
He's asking me if he should contact a lawer in New York.

What do you think my dear friends ? How can we help Jean Luc ? Do you think that Jean Luc should contact a lawer ?
Did you order anything from MSS HIFI ? Are they serious ?
How can they "sell " new Mc amps if they are not official dealers ?
Can we trust the fact that the amps would be at the McIntosh factory for conversion ? Could we ask McIntosh about that ?

All your opinions and advices will be highly appreciated from the poor frenchies !
Cheers,
Jérôme ( and Jean Luc / clad7 )

Last edited by Masterlu; 07-19-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Jérôme

MSS HiFi was previously known as the Audio Pimp on Audiogon, but was kicked off for reasons we can guess, not have no facts.

Jim
Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Jérôme

MSS HiFi was previously known as the Audio Pimp on Audiogon, but was kicked off for reasons we can guess, not have no facts.

Jim
Ok Jim. So do you think JL should contact a lawer ?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM

Jérôme
After 3 months I would think that would be appropriate. I did not know that McIntosh would themselves convert units to be sent out of the country. That sees fishy. Some of their dealers might as you know.

Jim
Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Jerome there seems to be a lot of bad reviews online about msshifi. After reading some of these I would IMO would contact a lawyer. They seem to be a bit on the shady side. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Jérôme... I am sending you a PM which will solve this mystery for your friend. I prefer it to remain confidential.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Ok friends, I got it !

Who knows a good lawyer in NY ?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Hi,

I am sorry to hear of the problems. I will admit about 6 years ago I purchased a Pass X250 and a Pass X0.2 preamp from them (jbaudiopimp) before I knew of their business practices. I bought both pieces at the same time and received a great deal. The equipment was in new, unopened condition. I believe I was very lucky and would not take a chance again.

Joe
Old 07-06-2011, 04:45 PM
That's a Deusy !

Jerome,
I would ask for the serial #'s of the amp's and I would call McIntosh and verify that they are there. I will also contact a friend who is an attorney and ask him if he knows anyone in NYC that would specialize in fraud.
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglax View Post
Jerome,
I would ask for the serial #'s of the amp's and I would call McIntosh and verify that they are there. I will also contact a friend who is an attorney and ask him if he knows anyone in NYC that would specialize in fraud.
Doug,
Great idea ! Thanks !