AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpi View Post
Too bad B&K went out of business. I have a B&K amp/preamp and they are fantastic. The price was also affordable when new. My point is maybe he could buy a slightly used B&K 200.7 amp series two. It has plenty of power and sounds super for music and movies. The only problem is that you would not have a warranty with used. I believe ATI bought out B&K and does have some plans to put out new B&K gear. Alot of bang for the buck with that gear. Just a thought.
I would agree. I ued B&K for years (M200 Sonata monos), and really had no complaints about the sound. I would even dare say that the Mac amps I now have bear some sonic resemblance to the B&Ks I had. The Macs are more refined, but the basic character is the same or nearly so to my untrained ears. Overbuilt amps, too.

I have no experience with Emotiva gear, though I know of people who are quite pleased with the sound they get. And they're in my hometown area of Franklin, TN, just outside Nashville.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 AM

B&K has been sold, but the parent company, ATI in California is continuing production, use the search engine of your choice, you'll find 'em.

I had mono blocks before the Bryston and am listening with their Pro 10 MC Sonata Series pre amp right now.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
That's a Deusy !

Thumbs up

He could get a nice Theta Dreadnaught I for about 2k 400 watts into 4 ohm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Theta5.jpg (158.4 KB, 6 views)
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003

Last edited by Doug Lax; 02-14-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Ive listened to Emotiva/looked at the case-work and quality and i was not "Sold" on any of it......it is what it is .....a "Chi-Fi" product(not that there is anything wrong with that at all mind you),but i dunno.....it just seems to try to pass itself on as something much better and i dont thnk it is.....it did not impress me.....i felt it looked cheap and sounded like any $500 Sony reciever or Pioneer in that price range.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmac View Post
B&K has been sold, but the parent company, ATI in California is continuing production, use the search engine of your choice, you'll find 'em.

I had mono blocks before the Bryston and am listening with their Pro 10 MC Sonata Series pre amp right now.
I have one of those! I used it before moving to an Audio Research LS3 in 1994. I loaned the B&K to a co-worker who was interested in possibly buying it. He had it for 10 years! I just got it back in November. Not sure what to do with it right now. Perhaps repurpose it to a small bedroom system, or even see how it does with my MC501s.

But again (to the OP), you'll get good sound with B&K gear and it's not super expensive. If you decide to go for something other than Emotiva, B&K would be my next choice; NAD is a good brand as well (though I have no experience with them, they have an excellent reputation).
Old 02-14-2012, 08:56 PM

^ Mine has been on for the past 18 years, except for power outages. I get some static when adjusting the volume at times, otherwise, no issues.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volks View Post
Ive listened to Emotiva/looked at the case-work and quality and i was not "Sold" on any of it......it is what it is .....a "Chi-Fi" product(not that there is anything wrong with that at all mind you),but i dunno.....it just seems to try to pass itself on as something much better and i dont thnk it is.....it did not impress me.....i felt it looked cheap and sounded like any $500 Sony reciever or Pioneer in that price range.

This is exactly why I asked my friend to do more research. "Chi-Fi" (love that term) is what I wanted him to be sure he really wanted--heck I havent heard it either but.....there are several other choices to consider----reading a few positive reviews will steer you in the WRONG direction sometimes. He has joined AA to gather your opinions. I trust and value the input from you guys--you sure helped me over the last year and I thank you all. Thanks again for helping him.
Main system: B&W 802 Diamond, McIntosh MC 601 x2 , J L Audio F113 x2 w/Sound Anchor stands, McIntosh C2300 w/Gold Lion 12AX7s , OPPO BDP95, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 Balanced ICs,PCs, bi-wired speaker cables. Sennheiser HD600, Rega P5 TT w/PSU, Running Springs "Dimitri" power conditioner, ASC 13" traps, and Dynavector 20xl MC cart.Manley Chinook phonostage.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:11 PM
From the BAT cave ...

I own and use Emotiva gear. It is fine for HT, but was not musical enough for me.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
I own and use Emotiva gear. It is fine for HT, but was not musical enough for me.
I did read one very positive review of Emotiva XPA-1s (their monoblocks) used in an audio application. But by and large, I see Emotiva gear used more in HT applications.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM

How about looking for some used Forte, Aragon, or even Acurus?

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.