AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-09-2017, 01:58 PM

I have them on my D'Agostino pre but I can't remember the last time I engaged them. I have no issues with anyone who feels the need to tweak the sound to their preference.

Last edited by Still-One; 02-09-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:00 PM

Not all music recording are the same therefore I use my tone control to my liking.
McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 monoblocks (x2), Vandersteen 2CE Signature II Speakers, Marantz AV8802a preamp processor, Marantz MA500 monoblocks amps, Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) Turntable, Polk Audio Center, Rear Left and Rear Right speakers, SVS Front High Left and Front High Right speakers, Chrysalis Bass Matrix-12 Sub woofer.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 PM

YOU are the only one that matters.

If you like the effects of tone controls, room correction or other equalization to adjust the sound to your liking, use them.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:33 PM

NOTHING, NOTHING sounds like a live performance. Period. Many products claim to do it, but NOBODY can reproduce live music as it was played the first time. I don't care if you spend $500K or more, you will never live that moment again. It's physically and physiologically impossible.
Therefore, I have no problems tweaking my music as my surrounding environment tells me to do in order to make MY experience as pleasurable as possible.

So I do

Happy Listening
Old 02-09-2017, 11:00 PM

When I first started playing in the higher end, tone controls were considered anathema for several reasons:
- each additional circuit brought baggage of some kind, whether it was an additional layer of distortion, raising the noise floor, or something else, so the purist idea was that it was better to suffer with the vagaries of the recording than to add some other distortion in the effort to improve the tonal balance.
- most tone controls were not very well implemented, with too broad a frequency range, so turning the treble down may have tamed that 10k peak, but it also sucked out the harmonics above and below it.
- tone control circuits were considered a diversion of funds that could have been used to improve elsewhere - better to spend the money on higher quality components than tone control circuits.

It's now questionable whether any of these reasons still apply. A company like McIntosh certainly knows how to properly implement a tone control, the cost of parts to do so is probably negligible at McIntosh prices, and electronics are so refined now that you'd be hard pressed to hear any detrimental effect from the additional circuit if done properly.

So the issues in the early days of cheap Japanese receivers versus purist equipment, in reality no longer apply. As others have said, tweak away and enjoy the music.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Subaholic

Funny to keep reading about audiophools who tremble at the though of altering or destroying their precious palpable midrange. You sound like you will adjust the tone to your liking..good for you. Not to you OP, but the masturbation continues and will likely never stop in the audio world. I hope to finally get to a point where I quit wasting my remaining time in life on the forums, and only listen to the music.

Continue on.

TT-Revox B791, A/V Receiver-Yamaha Aventage 2010, Blu-Ray- Sony 1000 Universal Player, Amplifier-Cinepro 3K6E Mkii, Fronts- Mirage M3si, Rear-Mirage OM-9, 5 other Mirage surrounds. Subwoofer- Stereo Integrity HST-18 inch w/ 85lb. magnet, 4 1/2 inches of travel.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:49 AM
Blown & Injected

I was once tossed out of a HiFi store for asking them to engage the Loudness . . . heresy.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
I was once tossed out of a HiFi store for asking them to engage the Loudness . . . heresy.
That's crazy. Don't they want to sell anything?!
Old 02-10-2017, 01:18 PM

I just go the C52 preamp a few days ago. I have already used the tone controls. So nice to have it with some recordings. So I see it as a necessity if you want to enjoy your music. Without it, I find myself avoiding certain recordings or turning it down because it sounds so hard and hurts my ears.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:09 AM

I'm considering an C22 precisely because it has tone and balance controls. Sometimes I just want to tweak things a tiny little bit, and having physical dials at hand makes it that much easier.

For me, if I need to cut a bit of treble here or adjust the balance a little there in order to enjoy a particular track or record or CD that much more, I'm all for it.
NAD D3020 - Totem Dreamcatchers

Last edited by DancingBlue; 02-11-2017 at 05:51 AM. Reason: C22, not MC22