AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxthx View Post
I only had the JVC, but it was in DYNAMIC mode for some reason which is much richer in colour. I never selected that so not sure how it changed? Through mains power on and off?

Sorry, I forget about the app version. Using the iPhone app, you can see the full thread with signatures if you scroll to the top of the page and tap on the thread title (which will be in a bold black font)
DYNAMIC Mode in and of itself might very well have been the problem. In many cases that mode (or VIVID as it is also sometimes called) introduces a lot of potential non-defeatable picture adjustments that include artificial edge enhancements and color processing to give the picture more "POP". Speaking generally but true in almost all cases, you want to start off in Cinema or Theater mode if at all possible as it eliminates these artificial enhancements, and/or turn them all off manually if possible. That should also get you closest to D6500K color temperature, then start your gamma/brightness/picture/color/sharpness adjustments from there...

Short of having a professional ISF calibration, these steps should help you out. I'm not a professional, but I have worked to learn quite a bit. The picture may seem more dull at first but give yourself a bit of time to see if over the long term is seems more natural, as it should if it is closer to spec.
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Why are you recommending these settings if the player/display benefits have not been established? No panacea to the symptom here.... Are you familiar with Trevor's JVC?
---- True, [Color Space = RGB] ...From his Oppo BD player's Video Setup menu (HDMI Options).

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 01-21-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
There are many out there.
Thank You Steve for the detailed explanation!
I have a good 50ft or better run to make and this info will be handy.

Trevor, thanks for the kind use of your thread here
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post

In the Cape I have multiple video sources; (4) BR's, Sat, PS3, Music Server. All video is sent to my Lumagen Radiance XE via HDMI. Most all audio is sent via digital coax, two are sent via HDMI (dual out-for audio comparison), and one 8-channel analog in.
Ok Ivan, your post really got me thinking. So, I ran HDMI to my projector direct from the Oppo.....but when I try to run "digital coax" from the Oppo to the Marantz 8801 SSP - I get nothing. When I referred to the Oppo manual, it says that "due to bandwidth limitations,high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus Dolby True HD and DTS cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output." OK....so what am I missing? How are you able to send most audio via digital coax? It sounds like a great idea, but I think I'm stuck with HDMI. Am I best to run one HDMI out from the Oppo to the projector directly and then the other HDMI out from the Oppo to the 8801 for audio purposes only?

Truth be told, I couldn't tell the difference between running the HDMI direct to the project vs running it through the Marantz. But then again, I can't tell the difference between a $30,000 projector and mine. Black is still black....the video guys go all crazy for "blacker blacks". Bloody hell, I've tried, but can't see the difference. Old eyes I guess.

Mike
Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Ok Ivan, your post really got me thinking. So, I ran HDMI to my projector direct from the Oppo.....but when I try to run "digital coax" from the Oppo to the Marantz 8801 SSP - I get nothing. When I referred to the Oppo manual, it says that "due to bandwidth limitations,high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus Dolby True HD and DTS cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output." OK....so what am I missing? How are you able to send most audio via digital coax? It sounds like a great idea, but I think I'm stuck with HDMI. Am I best to run one HDMI out from the Oppo to the projector directly and then the other HDMI out from the Oppo to the 8801 for audio purposes only?

Truth be told, I couldn't tell the difference between running the HDMI direct to the project vs running it through the Marantz. But then again, I can't tell the difference between a $30,000 projector and mine. Black is still black....the video guys go all crazy for "blacker blacks". Bloody hell, I've tried, but can't see the difference. Old eyes I guess.

Mike
Mike... The proper digital coax is key; I have no problem passing Hi-Rez audio from all my sources to my MX150.

If you are not using a high grade HDMI, that's your bottleneck. BTW, black is not black regardless how poor your eyes are.

Scott & others, chime in on what the right HDMI cable does for your video.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post

Mike... The proper digital coax is key; I have no problem passing Hi-Rez audio from all my sources to my MX150.

If you are not using a high grade HDMI, that's your bottleneck. BTW, black is not black regardless how poor your eyes are.

Scott & others, chime in on what the right HDMI cable does for your video.
I have a very high grade HDMI cable. Am I confused? I thought you meant the digital (coax) cable you use for all audio (like DTS-Master or whatever it's called) - not just the audio from HDMI.

As for projectors, I saw a couple of Runco (is that now you spell it?), Sim something and a few others, but I thought my Sony looked best. Just not a video guy. The ears are golden, the eyes are broken I guess.

Anyway, I'll just stick with HDMI I guess. Thanks anyway.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM

-- One HDMI cable directly to your front projector for Video picture (high def), and the other HDMI cable directly to your pre/pro for Audio sound (high res). ...Or it could also be only one HDMI cable (from your Oppo) to your pre/pro (for both high def Video and high res Audio), and then from your pre/pro HDMI output you simply run that HDMI cable to your front projector's HDMI input. ...You have two choices here, and both are good.

- Digital Coax/Opt carries only compressed audio (low res).

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 01-24-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
-- One HDMI cable directly to your front projector for Video picture (high def), and the other HDMI cable directly to your pre/pro for Audio sound (high res).

- Digital Coax/Opt carries only compressed audio (low res).
Yup. Thanks Bob. Figured that out the hard way. . It will be fine for the 2 movies a year I watch!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:20 PM

-- I edited my above post (added up).
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
-- I edited my above post (added up).
Thanks Bob! I think I will just run from the Oppo to the 8801. I can't see any difference.