AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 08-13-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzvinski View Post
Is the price the same with the satin finish ?
A marginal premium.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 PM

I need to see in real to be convicted if I prefer satin or not
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 PM

The satin on top of the Olympica's is excellent. I prefer it to the shiny polished look.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:47 AM

Hmm...isn't Olympica a leather finish on the top??

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
The satin on top of the Olympica's is excellent. I prefer it to the shiny polished look.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 AM

I had both finish before...for me the polished version is a love at first sight and the satin version grow on me over time. Its all preference here...so long you enjoy the music

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzvinski View Post
I need to see in real to be convicted if I prefer satin or not
Old 06-17-2015, 01:17 AM

Just wanted to drop into this thread as an owner of the Guarneri Homage. Having heard all of the Guarneri's, I think each has a different ability. The Evo's are definitely more capable in the bass down to about 40hz than the other two. However, I think that the GH's are the best of the lot ( yes, I am of course biased, however, I am not alone in this opinion). What the GH's do better than the newer models, IMO, is an unbelievable ability to reproduce the critical midrange and mid to high freq.'s...slightly better here than the newer models.
The answer to nirvana, IMO, is to pair the GH's with a subwoofer. An ultra fast model is required, like my REL T5, because with the blend dialed in, the sound is glorious. In a small room, I have never heard a better speaker, and I have been an a'phile for over 40 years. In a large room, there are a few better contenders, BUT one will have to pay 5-10X the original price of the G's to better them...and then it won't be in the critical mids, but in the sense of scale that a larger speaker can deliver. ( at a massive price increase). My choice for G's would be as follows...( with an understanding that they are ALL great speakers)...1) GH's 2) GE's and 3) GM's
Old 06-17-2015, 02:10 PM

The GE are more demanding to drive than the earlier two models, so the extra bass performance is there, but at a price. I also could not get any subwoofer, even REL G2, to work in a way I was happy with - the quality of the sub's bass was never as good as what the GE was capable of.

But the better the amp, in terms of current delivery I suspect, the better the bass. Unfortunately, high current delivery and transparency at the level required by any Guarneri means expensive.

I do think the midrange in the GH is glorious, but would suggest that the GE is a more "universal" speaker in terms of room sizes and music genres.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:59 PM

Ideally to get the sub to blend well really requires two subs plus a crossover to get the coherence right. I am using the GE and experimented with both REL G2 and Thiel Smartsub SS1. Between the two I like the Thiel better. However, a crossover will definitely be ideal.

Even without a sub in a small room the bass output is amazing from the GE and I never have a desperate need for more so in a way GE is more versatile. I do think the highs and the mids are slightly better on both GM and GH but GE is more balance and neutral overall - not overly warm in tones.

They are all good speakers and I have to add that GE deserve better speaker terminals for better performance.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:19 PM

I have been able to get the blend just about perfect, mainly I think due to the very smart hook up ability of the REL. The fact that one can run the signal to the sub directly from the amp and via a balanced connection, along with still running the mains full range; I believe allows for a superb blend. However, I have to say, it did take me the better part of a month to dial it in. So, no easy task, BUT it can be done with enough patience and experimentation. Also, I am certain that the speed and agility of the smaller REL T5 has a lot to do with it being invisible with my GH's. I have not tried two subs, mainly due to the apprehension that they will overload my very small room. I am still getting good response down to 35hz with just the one subwoofer.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:43 AM

I am using 2 JLF112 subs. integrated with the crossover in my HT processor (MX-120) at 70 hz and the sound is that of a 3 way speaker in my home theater . The slam bass is unreal with these subs and the GM . I also have a pair of Elipsa's and the GM with the subs have deeper richer bass in this configuration.