AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:30 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Here is my recent experience:
In the past few days I noticed dropouts when streaming. This was never the case. At first I assumed that it was due to internet speed. But a speedtest showed that this was not the case. It was not WiFi either since I had Ethernet connection.

After some head scratching I remembered that a technician had added an extra switch to my home network in the past week. Then I realized that he had changed the data flow.

Initially, the flow was:
Street cable->router->switch->component

The technician had changed it to:
Street cable->router->switch->switch->component

Notice that the signal now went through two switches intead of one. The second switch is on another floor. Had I not used an Ethernet cable of different color to connect to the upstairs switch it would have been very difficult to find what the problem was.

Anyway, changing the flow to the original set up fixed the issue.

So... my experience leads to believe that your problem could be related to the switch that you are using. If connecting your component directly to the router fixes your problem, there is your answer. I personally have not noticed sound changes when using cat 5e or cat 6 Ethernet cables.
Very informative post, many thanks!

Yes, its clear that adding my Ethernet switch added some noise to the system that was both discernable and unpleasant. The cable is adding some sort of wonky noise or other distortion component, though, because I went back and just put one 1M Blue Jeans cable into the router directly from the Mac Mini, and heard these problems in the high frequencies. It was audibly quieter than the generic cable, I presume due to better construction and shielding, but the highs are too unpleasant to listen to, at least presently.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:50 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
I’m so happy with the way my network is sounding. It is simply amazing. I added the DJM GigaFoilv4 Ethernet Filter as the last step before my Select II DAC and the results were stunning. The GigaFoilv4 optically filters out 99.99999% of the noise in the network. I also added a Keces P3 Linear Power Supply for the Ethernet Filter and Keces P8 LPS for my Roon Nucleus Plus core server. Each LPS got an Audience AU24SE MP power cord. Lastly, the network got AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet Cables.

There are still other tweaks I can implement such as Linear Power Supplies for my Synology DS-3018XS NAS, Netgear Nighthawk X10 Router and Cable Modem. I may also add an audiophile switch but frankly, the Nighthawk X10 works and sounds so excellent with its 6 Ethernet LAN ports, I’m reluctant to add another switch in the chain when it’s really unnecessary.

Ken
Hi Ken,
Thanks for your post for this discussion. Yep, I read the Audiostream review of the GigaFoil V4 from info provided by Jim (Still-One). For The Love of Music is using Keces LPS's, too.

With the very high-quality components of your digital front end, GigaFoil, two Keces LPS' and AQ Diamond Ethernet cables and the Audience PCs, I would expect it would sound very good indeed.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap, though. I would estimate two Keces P-8 LPS, the GigaFoilV4, 2 X 0.75M AQ Diamond Ethernet cables & two Audience AU24SE MP PCs would cost approximately....$8000?

It must sound fabulous...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:49 AM

Blue Jeans Cable is responsive to any problems or questions as they stand behind their products —

"Here's something you won't find anywhere else: Ethernet patch cords for Cat 5e, 6 and 6a, with individual certification testing and a full-color test report printout on every cable. The great majority of Cat 6 and 6a Ethernet patch cords sold both in stores and online are non-compliant--our tests (see our article: Is Your Cat 6 a Dog?) show that very few of the cables which are sold and labeled as "Cat 6" comply with the specification, and many "Cat 6" cables don't even pass Cat 5e! We assemble our Ethernet patch cords in the USA using American-manufactured connectors and (in the case of 6 and 6a cables) American-manufactured, Belden bonded-pair cable stock, and we test every last assembly on a Fluke certification tester, so that you can be assured of really getting the performance that you've paid for."

You should contact them with your findings

Best of luck!
Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 04-07-2019, 07:39 PM

AQVox SE Internet switches, Keces P3 power supplies, and Gigafoils! You guys are frigin' killing' me!
I just ran new Cat6A cable to my router, to shorten my cable to my Lumin S-1, so that I could get away with a .75 meter Diamond ethernet cable. I thought I was done! I should know better! Damn it!!!
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 04-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc33 View Post
AQVox SE Internet switches, Keces P3 power supplies, and Gigafoils! You guys are frigin' killing' me!
I just ran new Cat6A cable to my router, to shorten my cable to my Lumin S-1, so that I could get away with a .75 meter Diamond ethernet cable. I thought I was done! I should know better! Damn it!!!

No different then a boat at sea skipper, always gotta be ready [emoji851]
Old 04-07-2019, 10:52 PM

My experience: digital and analog are very different. With digital, keeping it simple or KISS works for me.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Very informative post, many thanks!

Yes, its clear that adding my Ethernet switch added some noise to the system that was both discernable and unpleasant. The cable is adding some sort of wonky noise or other distortion component, though, because I went back and just put one 1M Blue Jeans cable into the router directly from the Mac Mini, and heard these problems in the high frequencies. It was audibly quieter than the generic cable, I presume due to better construction and shielding, but the highs are too unpleasant to listen to, at least presently.

You are slowly arriving at the same conclusion i did. The culprit in my case was the FMC's not your Ethernet cables. When you first introduce the FMC's into your chain, what is perceived as an improvement in sound quickly turns into "a step backwards" as you say. I think the FMC's introduce the harsh highs you are experiencing by injecting noise from the conversion. Try removing them from your chain and listen for a few days and don't be surprised if the "harsh" is gone. A better fiber to copper conversion could be achieved via the GigaFoil v4. Looking past the industrial look, the execution and quality of the components seem solid and the positive reviews continue to roll in.
Melco N1ZH60/2 ---> EtherRegen ---> Bricasti M1 SE DAC ---> ASR Emitter II Exclusive Version Blue w/Battery PSU ---> Eggleston Andra III speakers rolling on Stillpoints Ultra 5's ----> Dual Rythmik E15 Subs ---> all tied together Via MIT MA-X RCA IC and MIT Matrix SHD120 Rev.2 Bi-Wire speaker cables.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
No different then a boat at sea skipper, always gotta be ready [emoji851]
True enough! Ok, Gigafoil, power supply, and AQ Diamond Ethernet cable on order! We shall see...
Parasound JC-1s (3), A-21
Kharma dB11-s Mains, Cremona M (center) Grand Pianos (rears)
JL Audio Gotham G213 V1(1) F-112V1(1) F-112V2(1)
Clearaudio Innovation Wood, Benz Micro Gullwing SLR Dynavector XX2 MK2 Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Audio Research Ref 2se phono
Lumin X1
Lumin S1
Oppo-205
AudioQuest Hurricane HC, Tornado HC(2), and Thunder HC, Diamond RJ/E
PS Audio P-10(2) AC-3, AC-5, AC-10 PCs.
(6) dedicated 20 amp circuits, (6)Furutech outlets.
(1) GDX-DR-NCF, (2) GDX-D Gold, (3) GDX-D Rhodium
AZ Absolute Copper, and Clear Day Audio solid silver Bal ICs.
WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables.
Rob
Old 04-08-2019, 06:08 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircharles View Post
You are slowly arriving at the same conclusion i did. The culprit in my case was the FMC's not your Ethernet cables. When you first introduce the FMC's into your chain, what is perceived as an improvement in sound quickly turns into "a step backwards" as you say. I think the FMC's introduce the harsh highs you are experiencing by injecting noise from the conversion. Try removing them from your chain and listen for a few days and don't be surprised if the "harsh" is gone. A better fiber to copper conversion could be achieved via the GigaFoil v4. Looking past the industrial look, the execution and quality of the components seem solid and the positive reviews continue to roll in.
Thanks for the comment, Sircharles, appreciate your comments regarding the discussion.

"I think the FMC's introduce the harsh highs you are experiencing by injecting noise from the conversion."

Respectfully, though, that's not the case, at least in my system, setup and room (everyone's system, setup and room are different, so YMMV).

The FMCs clearly lowered the noise floor, increased the airiness, spaciousness of the presentation increased and smoothed out the extension of the highs/treble, so they made a notable improvement in the sound quality when I installed the run of fiber using the FMCs compared to the direct run of Cat 7 Ethernet cable to the Sonore.

When I took out the Ethernet switch and Blue Jeans Ethernet cables, I got back to my gorgeous-sounding digital streaming front-end. When I put the back in the BJC Ethernet cables and Ethernet switch one-by-one, the strident highs and uncomfortable treble came back one-by-one and became cumulatively worse. The el-cheapo, generic Ethernet cables sound more pleasant than the BJC Ethernet cables, so its possible the BJCs need some burn-in....

I'm sure the GigaFoil V4 is great, but I would still need a long (~7M) run of "audiophile" Ethernet cable either before the GigaFoil or after the Gigafoil to the Rendu, and I simply can't afford that. Plus there's the $500 cost of the Gigafoil.

So, far, the $65 investement in the FMCs and Tripp-Lite optical fiber have paid big dividends in audio quality over the 7M run of cheap Cat 7 Ethernet cable.

The experiment continues....

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-08-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircharles View Post
You are slowly arriving at the same conclusion i did. The culprit in my case was the FMC's not your Ethernet cables. When you first introduce the FMC's into your chain, what is perceived as an improvement in sound quickly turns into "a step backwards" as you say. I think the FMC's introduce the harsh highs you are experiencing by injecting noise from the conversion.
The power supply for the FMC is important. The model of which FMC is used and the choice of wavelength also affect things. Now I recommend users to use 1310nm, based on subjective feedback from demo visitors.

We have native (fiber) SFP support in our product without requiring the use of FMC, and it is powered by our audiophile LPS, and another manufacturer is releasing an audiophile grade FMC.

My point is that fiber conversion does not have to be bad.