AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 04-01-2019, 12:28 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Shunyata Venom USB cable - Another absolute killer Shunyata product

An audio buddy came over yesterday to do some listening to the new and amazing Shunyata Alpha USB cable, and he brought with him his recently acquired Shunyata Venom USB cable. This cable has an MSRP of $200, but I've recently seen if on sale at various retailers.

I've known about the Shunyata Venom USB for some time now, but I hadn't considered buying it because I presumed, at its price point, that it wouldn't be better than my (highly-acclaimed) AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, which presently sells for $600/0.75M. The AudioQuest Diamond USB has received numerous excellent reviews over the last 4-5 years.

That presumption on my part, as it turns out, would have been a mistake.

Until a few weeks ago, the AudioQuest Diamond was the best-sounding USB cable that I had heard, and I was using it between my Sonore microRendu and Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC Gen 5 USB.

I should point out that Sonore has rather strongly recommended using a very short plastic-molded USB male A to male B "hard coupler" adapter in place of a USB cable. Back when I got my Sonore at the end of 2016, I made the assumption that the USB hard coupler couldn't be better than the AQ Diamond, so I never installed it until a few weeks ago when I was in one of my scientist-type experimental moods. I installed the USB hard coupler in place of the AQ Diamond, and lo and behold, d*mned if it didn't sound quite a bit better than the AQ Diamond USB cable. Transparency was improved, there was less noise, and overall, the sound quality across the board and musical presentation was superior. The AQ Diamond was relegated to the cables plastic storage container (which I am sure all of you have! )

That lasted until the Shunyata Alpha USB arrived, and y'all know how that turned out!

Anyway, as we were going to do a proper demo of the Shunayta Venom USB, I went back to the "reference" setup (aka the datum) and re-installed the short USB male A/B hard coupler (which I should I point out, is a PITA to use, as it requires putting supports under the microRendu as it just stick out and "floats" in Gumby's USB receiver port. I used a stack of Herbie's silicone cups on top of some business cards to support the microRendu at just the right height).

We listened for a bit to 3-4 songs, including Lisboa, Impossible Love and Se Voce Ama on Melody Gardot's The Absence and and, sure enough, the system sounded quite good. We then swapped out the short USB hard coupler for the Shunyata Venom USB cable.

Wow. BIG improvement. All of a sudden, the soundstage opened up considerably, there was more spaciousness, more precise imaging and soundstage depth, the bass was tighter and more finely articulated, the top end was more extended, airy and silky, and there was "breath" and palpability from the singers' voice, as if the sound, texture, vocal quality was actually coming from an actual flesh & blood singer than than a simple electronic "avatar" of a singer (if that makes sense). Very subtle and delicate percussion and instrumental tones, notes and details were now discernable and created a textural auditory "frisson" of instrumental melodies.

Just as importantly, like all Shunyata products I've used, the presentation was very quiet, natural-sounding, and "sweet" in the best possible way. I hate to use the over-used and generic term "musical", but in essence, that's what is was...the presentation was very much like all the other Shunyata products I've heard: they impart a quietness, naturalness and "trueness" to musicality that creates a sense of "listening ease" and leads to an engaging and involving musical experience, and that was most certainly the case here.

And I know some of you are curious: how is the Shunyata Venom USB compared to my AudioQuest Diamond USB cable? Well, in my opinon and experience, the Shunyata Venom USB blows the Diamond into the weeds, its not even close.

In summary, if you're looking for a quality USB cable for your DAC or network streamer and your budget doesn't presently stretch to the incredible and amazing Shunyata Alpha USB, do yourself a favor, and pick up a Shunyata Venom USB. This USB cable is an absolutely massive value proposition for the performance and most importantly, the musical experience you get for the money.

I should have bought this cable years ago...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-01-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:34 AM

Stephen-

Thanks for your detailed comparisons and impressions. I found the Venom USB an improvement over other albeit more modest cables.

Now the Alpha gears are turning round, round, round!
Old 04-01-2019, 05:59 PM

Stephen,

Thank you for posting your impressions. I read your review on your Alpha cable and thought hard about it. I'm sort of new to the streaming thing. I just use my iMac connected via the mighty Belkin USB to my dac. I found a 1.5 meter Venom used for 99 bucks. It should be here next week. I kind of hope it's not any better, because if it is, I'm probably going to have to go with a dedicated streamer as it would probably be better still. And that's another deep, dark money pit.

- Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables
Old 04-01-2019, 07:09 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician View Post
Stephen,

Thank you for posting your impressions. I read your review on your Alpha cable and thought hard about it. I'm sort of new to the streaming thing. I just use my iMac connected via the mighty Belkin USB to my dac. I found a 1.5 meter Venom used for 99 bucks. It should be here next week. I kind of hope it's not any better, because if it is, I'm probably going to have to go with a dedicated streamer as it would probably be better still. And that's another deep, dark money pit.

- Bob
Boy, are you in for a pleasant surprise!

A dedicated streamer does not have to be a money pit. You can buy an Allo DigiOne Signature for 315 or a refurbished Sonore microRendu B-stock for $429, and you're good to go.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:24 PM

Thanks Stephen for sharing your experience with the Venom USB.

I won an Ebay auction in early March for a Kimber Kable KS-2416 USB which I am still waiting to arrive. And frankly it does not smell good as I believe the package has been lost since there is no progress on the tracking engine. That sucks.

Since I may have a 300$ hole in my pocket, I will have to find something suitable for the time being and the Venom seems to be a good option. I am using my Bryston BDP-2 to my BDA-3 using a generic XLR cable (canare with neutrik connectors) and it sounds very good but I know this is the weakest link in the chain. On the BDA-3, only USB inputs allow for DSD so that is why I went with a USB cable. I chose the KS-2416 because all my other cables and interconnects are Kimber Select (copper) so that I keep consistent within the family. If it happens that my KS-2416 was lost in the mail, I think I will go with the Venom USB; I would prefer a straight jump to the Alpha but that is beyond reach for now (preparing the ward for the summer!).

Thanks,
Old 04-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Thanks Stephen for sharing your experience with the Venom USB.

I won an Ebay auction in early March for a Kimber Kable KS-2416 USB which I am still waiting to arrive. And frankly it does not smell good as I believe the package has been lost since there is no progress on the tracking engine. That sucks.

Since I may have a 300$ hole in my pocket, I will have to find something suitable for the time being and the Venom seems to be a good option. I am using my Bryston BDP-2 to my BDA-3 using a generic XLR cable (canare with neutrik connectors) and it sounds very good but I know this is the weakest link in the chain. On the BDA-3, only USB inputs allow for DSD so that is why I went with a USB cable. I chose the KS-2416 because all my other cables and interconnects are Kimber Select (copper) so that I keep consistent within the family. If it happens that my KS-2416 was lost in the mail, I think I will go with the Venom USB; I would prefer a straight jump to the Alpha but that is beyond reach for now (preparing the ward for the summer!).

Thanks,
Hi Serge,
I would just get the Shunyata Venom USB, to be honest, if I were you. Personally, I'm not a believer in keeping cables "in the family" because different cables classes interact with different components in different ways, so I personally have not found that staying with a single manufacturer will always produce optimal results.

So, I take a very scientist-type empirical approach and just go with what sounds the best with any given component that is in my budget. I haven't heard the Kimber KS-2416. I don't know if its as good as the AudioQuest Diamond, which has been a reference standard for many for a number of years, but the Shunyata Venom USB flat smokes the $600 AQ Diamond.

Anyway, let us know how things turn out and what you end up with...

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-01-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Hi Serge,
I would just get the Shunyata Venom USB, to be honest, if I were you. Personally, I'm not a believer in keeping cables "in the family" because different cables classes interact with different components in different ways, so I personally have not found that staying with a single manufacturer will always produce optimal results.

So, I take a very scientist-type empirical approach and just go with what sounds the best with any given component that is in my budget. I haven't heard the Kimber KS-2416. I don't know if its as good as the AudioQuest Diamond, which has been a reference standard for many for a number of years, but the Shunyata Venom USB flat smokes the $600 AQ Diamond.

Anyway, let us know how things turn out and what you end up with...
As unfortunate as it is, I got confirmation today from Ebay that my KS-2416 was "lost", short of any better explanation.

At least I will get my money back. In the meantime to acquire an Alpha USB, I purchased a BIS Audio USB (local manufacturer in Quebec) locally as it was readily available and inexpensive. Next step will be to upgrade my power cords.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:18 AM

Quick follow up to my previous post;

I received my Venom USB cable 4 or 5 days ago. I hooked it up, powered up my system and listened.

It sounded the same. Oh well, 99 bucks, I'm good with that.

I left my system on an about an hour later wandered back into my listening room and kinda went, "what?"

Music was sounding more relaxed, more coherent and more like, "I want to hear more." I was a bit surprised. And hoping this was not an anomaly and I hadn't just blown 99 bucks.

I listened for awhile and left the room again. I came back a couple of hours later because even from my office the music sounded better. More listenable. Hell, it sounded happy.

After these past few days I have to agree, the Venom is vastly better than my high end Belkin cable I replaced.

I'm not sure if I have the gear to hear the difference between this and the Alpha, but damn, this improvement is alluring...

Bob

Dali Epicon 8, Luxman 509X, highy modified MDHT Orchid Dac, Cambridge Audio CD transport, iMac, Core Power 1800, Shunyata and Nordost cables

Last edited by jzzmusician; 04-09-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:36 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician View Post

I'm not sure if I have the gear to hear the difference between this and the Alpha, but damn, this improvement is alluring...

Bob
Bob... you do have the gear, but that’s a different thread and sound quality in another Zip Code entirely.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 04-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Bob... you do have the gear, but that’s a different thread and sound quality in another Zip Code entirely.
Ivan,

I was afraid you'd say something like that. Damn. I'm kinda getting ready for a new dac and now I've got a $1000 USB cable looking at me.

Double damn!!

- Bob