AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 01-11-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan M View Post
Thanks!

I did a shootout at my place as my dealer let me borrow audio research vsi75, moon by sim audio 600i, and anthem STR separates. It's a close battle between the moon and anthem. I'm leaning towards the moon.

I'll give McIntosh and Bryston another listen. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Hi Jonathan, I wonder if you have any impressions of the Anthem STR preamp you'd be willing to share. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 PM

I own the 803 Matrix Series 2 and they are powered by a Classe CA150. I realize this is older gear but I’ve been extremely satisfied going on 25 years.

Last edited by Loudinny; 01-24-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkinman View Post
Haha. Not sure how many people get it...
I got it... funny as well!
Old 03-27-2019, 08:44 PM

I’d like to drop a line that I moved my N802s to my bedroom as the theater is getting upgraded. I wanted an affordable easy solution. The new Sonos Amp, HDMI input for ARC, 125 watts x2 @ 8 ohms, 250 @ 4, this is powering these with ease!

$599 I have a compact, cool running, out of site 1 box solution that gives me easy networked audio along with audio from my TV.

Extremely happy.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
I’d like to drop a line that I moved my N802s to my bedroom as the theater is getting upgraded. I wanted an affordable easy solution. The new Sonos Amp, HDMI input for ARC, 125 watts x2 @ 8 ohms, 250 @ 4, this is powering these with ease!

$599 I have a compact, cool running, out of site 1 box solution that gives me easy networked audio along with audio from my TV.

Extremely happy.
Thanks for posting this. I have been seriously considering the Amp for our main system for a couple months now.

I would love to be able to use it with my B&W 683 S2s and a sub along with adding a pair of Sonos Play:5s for surrounds and create a 4.1 set-up. I'm simply concerned that the Amp wouldn't drive my speakers well. (They really opened up when I put 200 watts on them and they sound great.) Your post has me reconsidering giving it a shot though.

Sonos makes some great stuff. We recently put a Playbase and 2 Play:1s in the bedroom for a surround set-up. It is oustanding. The Sonos OS/ecosystem is excellent. We have been completely happy with it and are huge fans now.

If you have any other insight or thoughts on the Amp I'd love to hear it, thanks.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 04-17-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Amp for my 801 s3's

Really found this thread helpful for helping me search for amps for my 801 Matrix s3's.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-48 View Post
Hi Jonathan, I wonder if you have any impressions of the Anthem STR preamp you'd be willing to share. Thanks!
Hey Mike the anthem STR separates sounded great and I could not tell the difference with the moon 600i. Anthem had no problems driving my 804 D3 for hours. I drove it hard and it barely went above 50 watts. I briefly cranked it to get 60 watts on the meter. I think measured 92db or so on my phone about 8ft away. I was afraid to listen any louder because I live in a apartment. I didn't play with ARC but it's supposed to be improved, especially if you have 2 subs. I don't know of any 2 channel pre amps that have output for 2 subs that can be individually calibrated. I used ARC when I had a Anthem AVM 60 but I thought it sounded better with ARC off.

I went with Moon 390 and 760a because I felt with Moon was better for 2 channel, 10 year warranty, and much better tech support. Also with anthem this was the top of the line. While with moon I was in the middle of their line up. Moon offers a good upgrade program too within 2 years and offer networking upgrades.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Hey Mike the anthem STR separates sounded great [...]
Thanks, Jonathan, for your impressions! My room dictates subs and EQ in the bass, and the STR does it for me. ARC on the STR, perhaps because it runs at 192kHz, is more transparent than any EQ or DSP I've used before.

Congratulations on your Moon purchases -- it's a great line of equipment!

Last edited by Mike-48; 04-21-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:

I went with Moon 390 and 760a because I felt with Moon was better for 2 channel, 10 year warranty, and much better tech support. Also with anthem this was the top of the line. While with moon I was in the middle of their line up. Moon offers a good upgrade program too within 2 years and offer networking upgrades.
Hi Jonathan !
Nice to read that there some guys addicted to Moon!
What are you sonic impressions of your Moon Pre-/Power Amp?
Did you compare to the older Moon Neo350P pre-amp and 330A power amp or the integrated 340i? I guess that the possibilities and versatile features of the 390 are more than most people need. However the 390 is the only model which features also a USB port for sticks and drives, never understood why they are not implementing this to other models....
I am struggling between 340i or 350P+330A combo, the evolution Pre-/power amps are outstanding, but also in price....
Thanks for any input!
Cheers
Felix
Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn2803 View Post
I recently went back to audition the 802D3 with the Mac452 and Bryston 4B3. I would prefer to listen to the MC611 vs. 7B3 but my dealer did not have the 7B3 on hand.

After a couple of hours of listening, swapping between the MC452 and 4B3, IMHO, the Mac sounded to my ears more natural particularly with the voices. However, the 4B3 was very close to the Mac to my ears.

I like the bullet-proof 20-year warranty of the Bryston (vs. 3 years for the Mac). I currently have the Bryston 9B ST which I have used for the last 16+ years. It needed to be repaired only twice (replacing the cards), and in both occasion, I was glad it's under warranty. Price wise, the Bryston is also less expensive (~$1500 less for the 7B3 vs. MC611).

I am really torn...For those of you who have either the MC601/611 or 7B3 driving your 802/803 B&Ws, could you provide your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
I realize you ended up with MC611 but I was wondering if you had anything to add about your assessment. I’m in the market for amps to drive my 803D3 and narrowed my choices to Mcintosh or Bryston specifically, MC452, MC462, MC601, 4B3, and 7B3. Budget will play a part in the final choice. I've demo'd Mac gear with the speakers and I’m familiar with how the two sound together but not Bryston. IMO The Mac which sounds great helps tone down the 803D3's brightness but at the cost of some clarity. My question is with Bryston do I gain back the clarity while retaining warmness or slight less warmth?

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500