AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Racing Hoopties

Stephen, i appreciate you are focused on the second leg of an Ethernet Connection. The short route from your fiber receiver to your PC/Streamer.

From all your investigations with Ethernet cables, what do you think is the best (value for money and SQ) for the long first leg? Eg an 8 meter long run?
Craig
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 05-31-2019, 11:17 AM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Well, after a good 6 days or so of burn-in 24/7, I put in the Supra Cat8...

Man, this little cable is wonderful! It's is a very nice-sounding cable, indeed. Very detailed but not at all etched, edgy, or spiky. it presents an incredibly layered and complex presentation that is really very nice. The presentation is not quite as spacious front-to-back and "fullsome" as the AudioQuest Cinnamon or Vodka, but it actually has more, and a finer layering of, detail. The micro-detail, microdymanics, and timbral shadings of this cable are really quite impressive and musical as all get-out. I hear filigreed and sublte little musical details and timbral shadings I don't hear on any of the others. Its like going from a 240 dpi JPEG digital photograph to a 300 dpi TIFF file, using digital photography as an analogy. It has an overall sonic signature and "body" that reminds me of wood-bodied phono cartridges, in in particular, my Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II that was on my Rega P5.

For $54, man, this cable is a winner! Big thumbs up!
I liked your review of the Audioquest Cinnamon and I ordered one from Audio Advisor. I plan on installing it between my Seagate Personal Cloud and my router.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 05-31-2019, 02:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Stephen, i appreciate you are focused on the second leg of an Ethernet Connection. The short route from your fiber receiver to your PC/Streamer.

From all your investigations with Ethernet cables, what do you think is the best (value for money and SQ) for the long first leg? Eg an 8 meter long run?
Craig
Hi Craig,

Good question. Maybe the Supra Cat8? I'm using a run of fiber for this long run; its much cheaper and it sounds better than a long run of Ethernet.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
I liked your review of the Audioquest Cinnamon and I ordered one from Audio Advisor. I plan on installing it between my Seagate Personal Cloud and my router.
Should work well there.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:57 AM

Thank you, Puma Cat for confirming I chose well with Supra Cat8! I went with Supra as I had many years of great sound using their speaker cable bought directly from the late Tommy Jenving, the owner of the company at the time.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 AM

Quick question on Ethernet cables. Where do you upgrade the cable for the biggest impact? Wall (router) to switch, switch to streamer, or both?
Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by eziggy View Post
Quick question on Ethernet cables. Where do you upgrade the cable for the biggest impact? Wall (router) to switch, switch to streamer, or both?

Depends on your setup and budget:

Simplest answer;

HiFi; Switch to Streamer

Whole house; modem to router / switch.

Goal;

There’s many ways to do this, and you really can move the system performance needle when you go from start point to finish or finish to start point. Switches, optical filters or boxes, power supplies really change the game. If you dig around there’s a lot of recent postings.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Depends on your setup and budget:

Simplest answer;

HiFi; Switch to Streamer

Whole house; modem to router / switch.

Goal;

There’s many ways to do this, and you really can move the system performance needle when you go from start point to finish or finish to start point. Switches, optical filters or boxes, power supplies really change the game. If you dig around there’s a lot of recent postings.
This is all excellent advice. I agree and its consisent with my experiences as well. Fully agree on the priority for the Ethernet cable(s).
Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 PM

Recently I had the opportunity to audition 3 ethernet cables on my Aurender A10 streamer-Dac combo(Tidal) as well as Apple TV (Youtube Prime). There was this run of the mill Belkin Cat 6 cable, AudioQuest Cinnamon and Audioquest Vodka.
To my ears and my friends, higher end Vodka sounded mellow, better instrument separation, more details etc.. Basically, very pleasant to listen to. Both being in IT field this was not possible or not explainable logically.
So, we asked my wife to listen to these cables. She preferred higher end Vodka every time. So, there were now 3 people who preferred the sound of the higher end Vodka. All 3 of us went thru blind testing.

We took this experiment further – we disconnected the cable couple of seconds after the song started playing – it just played rest of the song from the buffer. Plugging in inferior cable during this time did not make a difference. So, it appears the “better” cable downloads a superior or “better sounding bits”! This I can not explain. Just relaying what we heard.

What also was puzzling was that we got mixed results if we did not power off the Aurender A10 before trying another cable. It seems Tidal just “patches” up whatever was in the buffer. (In this case we were playing the same song).

We also found it was best to power off the Aurender before switching to another cable. Same was evident with Apple TV using YouTube Prime. Both seems to have large buffer.

We can not explain how a last 6 feet of digital cable makes a difference – but hey, we heard it!

I would imagine we would have got similar results from any manufacturer's higher end cable.

Yogi.

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

Aurender A10 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Joseph Audio PERSPECTIVE2 Graphene

VPI 40th. Anniversary Direct Drive -> Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono

Aurender A10 -> Ref 6 -> GS150 > PMC Fact 12

McIntosh MCD500 -> C1100 - >MC452 > PMC Fact 12

Aurender A10 -> -> E470 > PMC Fact 12

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL200 , , Monitor Audio GX200
PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344

Last edited by Banter; 07-17-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:12 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Hi Banter,

The reasons that we can hear differences in Ethernet cables is not with respect to their abilit to deliver signal, its their ability to deal with all the different types and classes of noise that gets layered on top of the signal. More on that later in a separate reply to this thread, so stay tuned.

Regarding the AQ Vodka, your experiences were very similar to mine.