AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Dan...a big congrats on the XP-15. Looks like a great phono preamp. Looking forward to your impressions
Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Cyril.......Thank you. I'm pretty excited to get it into the studio system. I have to say, though, the C2300 MC phono stage is sounding darn good. Everyone I have spoken with tells me the XP-15 will walk all over it. Six more days.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Cyril.......Thank you. I'm pretty excited to get it into the studio system. I have to say, though, the C2300 MC phono stage is sounding darn good. Everyone I have spoken with tells me the XP-15 will walk all over it. Six more days.
Dan,

My guess is that without all this vinyl fuss at AA, you would not have gone in the direction of a second beautiful TT / cart and separate phono stage.
AA is very good for creating "wishes" and making them as "needs"
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Dan,

My guess is that without all this vinyl fuss at AA, you would not have gone in the direction of a second beautiful TT / cart and separate phono stage.
AA, where all the dreams come true!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
AA, where all the dreams come true!

......And the wallets get empty !
Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:

......And the wallets get empty !
Well, we have good taste and lofty goals and dreams around here. Is that such a bad thing?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Dan,

Jérôme.......Perhaps not, although the studio sound system has truly taken on a life of its own. Initially my intent was not to create another premium level two channel sound system down stairs, but to simply have a second good quality system to enjoy when I wanted to have some private time, and a separate but modest surround sound system for movies. When I start a project small I often overlook my basic nature which is to carry things out to a full tilt level. I think small in the beginning, but like a mushroom I seem to grow from nowhere to full sized almost overnight without any added encouragement.

Such is what has happened in the studio. My home theater system is now a premium setup, and offers a tremendous visual and surround sound experience. I was able to stop at the point I wanted with the home theater. That was not the case with the two channel sound system. It has been a work in progress from the beginning, with many different preamps, power amps, and sources in play as I progressed to what is present now. I'm not exactly sure where the turning point was, perhaps when I purchased the SF Guarneri Mementos. From that point on the changes that happened seemed to take place on their own, as if I was being guided by a Divine power. Once the system began to blossom I just kept going. Naturally, I had my Micro Seiki DD-40 turntable in and out of the studio system over the past two years, and this planted the seed for a second, and better analog rig. I have been looking at and discussing turntables for at least the past two years here on this forum, often drooling over turntables well out of my reach. Once I discovered the Michell Gyro SE the wheels started turning, and I knew it was just a matter of time before I owned the rig I now have. Of course, the natural progression from here was the purchase of the new Pass Labs phono preamp that will arrive next week. I just couldn't stop at only using the C2300's internal phono stage.

So, in the end I must say yes, I have been encouraged and motivated in the direction I am traveling through my association with Audio Aficionado. Would I have gone this far without this association? Oh yes, only perhaps over a greater length of time. AA has a way of keeping the excitement level elevated and fast forwarding plans. If you had asked me a year if I planned to spend another $50K+ changing the studio two channel sound system I would have said absolutely not. People have always told me I get the job done, but I make a very poor estimator. Such is my life, yet I am happy. What else can I say?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 09-28-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 AM

Dan, I think there are quite a few of us here with the magic mushroom syndrome. I'm starting to feel a bit like the Mad Hatter myself.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Dan, I think there are quite a few of us here with the magic mushroom syndrome. I'm starting to feel a bit like the Mad Hatter myself.
Serge.......You hit the nail on the head.

Last edited by jdandy; 09-28-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jérôme.......Perhaps not, although the studio sound system has truly taken on a life of its own. Initially my intent was not to create another premium level two channel sound system down stairs, but to simply have a second good quality system to enjoy when I wanted to have some private time, and a separate but modest surround sound system for movies. When I start a project small I often overlook my basic nature which is to carry things out to a full tilt level. I think small in the beginning, but like a mushroom I seem to grow from nowhere to full sized almost overnight without any added encouragement.

Such is what has happened in the studio. My home theater system is now a premium setup, and offers a tremendous visual and surround sound experience. I was able to stop at the point I wanted with the home theater. That was not the case with the two channel sound system. It has been a work in progress from the beginning, with many different preamps, power amps, and sources in play as I progressed to what is present now. I'm not exactly sure where the turning point was, perhaps when I purchased the SF Guarneri Mementos. From that point on the changes that happened seemed to take place on their own, as if I was being guided by a Divine power. Once the system began to blossom I just kept going. Naturally, I had my Micro Seiki DD-40 turntable in and out of the studio system over the past two years, and this planted the seed for a second, and better analog rig. I have been looking at and discussing turntables for at least the past two years here on this forum, often drooling over turntables well out of my reach. Once I discovered the Michell Gyro SE the wheels started turning, and I knew it was just a matter of time before I owned the rig I now have. Of course, the natural progression from here was the purchase of the new Pass Labs phono preamp that will arrive next week. I just couldn't stop at only using the C2300's internal phono stage.d

So, in the end I must say yes, I have been encouraged and motivated in the direction I am traveling through my association with Audio Aficionado. Would I have gone this far without this association? Oh yes, only perhaps over a greater length of time. AA has a way of keeping the excitement level elevated and fast forwarding plans. If you had asked me a year if I planned to spend another $50K+ changing the studio two channel sound system I would have said absolutely not. People have always told me I get the job done, but I make a very poor estimator. Such is my life, yet I am happy. What else can I say?
Be happy my friend. You deserve it fully. !