AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Joe.......What I find startling about the ModWright 105 modification is the nearly triple increase in price over a stock BDP-105. He takes a $1200.00 universal player, modifies it and tacks on an additional $2300.00.

Thinking about that, if the ModWright modification to your Music Hall CD-25 had tripled it's price, I wonder if you would have still been willing to make that purchase 10 years ago. In my mind, Dan's uptick in price for his work on the BDP-105 is substantial, especially when you consider he has no investment in the design or build of the BDP-105 beyond his circuit mods. My comments are not to be construed as a knock on Dan's work or talent as an audio engineer and designer. It is simply my impression of the cost of the player after his modification.
Hi Dan,

You're right. The Response Audio RAM Signature CD25 (the ModWright/Music Hall CD-25) was only $1,400 which is about 2 and 1/3 the price of the stock CD-25 ($600) while the ModWright Oppo 105 is triple the price of the stock 105. I think the fact that the current tube mod also includes a separately housed power supply contributes to the additional cost.

I'm not trying to be an apologist for ModWright. I'm sure there are fine players out there, especially on the used market, for the same cost. My point was simply that while not a small investment, the all-in cost of the unit would be competitive with similarly priced players at the very least. It always boils down to system synergy and individual taste so there's no hard and fast rules.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taters View Post
The whole package will be 3500.00. I have heard this Modified Oppo competes with players in the 7 to 10k range. If that is the case it's a great deal. I've never heard one before so I'm a little skeptical. I currently have a Gamut Cd player but it's 12 years old and I don't how long will it last. My other alternative was to buy a used player for 3500.00 that retailed new for 7k. The only problem with that is I could have service Issues. If I did buy the modified Oppo and didn't like it is it a easy sale. Or is it a small niche in the market that is hard to sell.
There is a used ayre dx5 that I would consider

ayre dx-5, kxr, mxr, Vandersteen 5A, marantz 8801, Vandersteen vcc-5, Vandersteen vsm sig
Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 PM

-- I know one person (his name's Jim, and I'm not sure if he's a member here) who loves his Oppo BDP-105 tubed modded by ModWright with separate power supply (he also already rolled the tubes), and said that it beats the sound of his two previous hi-end players; one of which was $17,000!

I would love to share the link, but I can't. ...I'll ask him if he would love to join here and share his experiences.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 PM

And just to correct any confusion from my post. I have not heard the modwright, I was merely making commentary on the subject of "beating out players that cost more" as a general over use in the industry
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by taters View Post
How do you like your bdp-95?
I love it, and would be keeping it indefinitely if the 105 did not include the digital inputs. I am limited on space, so a separate external DAC does not appeal to me right now, plus I know how good the analog output of the tube analog stage that ModWright provides sounds. From what I understand, the 105 will be a step forward over the 95, and I will know that for certain when I do a direct comparison for myself between the two players in the near future.
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 03-20-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
There is a used ayre dx5 that I would consider

Now THAT's one comparison I would love to hear! A used DX5 is still in the 5 range though but it looks so nice. One advantage the 105 would still have is a better processor; thus, faster load times to menu and all.

I also feel the Modwright mods, while excellent, is a bit pricey; especially when one adds the Bybee rails and Audio Magic options too. Like over $3K just for mods!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:45 PM

Lightbulb

---- 6moons audio reviews: ModWright's OPPO 105 mod

* Jim, that guy I know, with his ModWright Oppo; tubed, with the separate outboard power supply (Audio Magic 9.0 - 9.9), the Bybee Music Rails, upgraded (rolled) tubes (PSVANE and NOS tubes; Philip s.), said that he prefers it over his previous Wadia ($18,000), and his previous Burmester ($32,000). ...His total cost: $3,500-4,000

** John Curl, yes the famous amplifier's designer man himself, said (on the Oppo BDP-105), that it is the best player of its type that he has ever heard, including Headphone listening and SACD.

-> And Hedwig, just above, can confirm what I just said as being accurate (without providing direct links).

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 03-20-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: ->
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 PM

Default Modwright Oppo 105

Writing is not one of my strengths but below is an email I sent to Dan tonight in regard to my new Modwright Oppo BDP-105. I received it yesterday and absolutely love it. I sold my PS Audio PerfectWave DAC II to help fund my Modwright 105. I liked the PS and although it was very close in sound quality to my Modwright BDP-95, more often than not I would find myself playing the Modwright 95. Oppo stepped it up a notch too with the 105. A much faster player in every way and better build. When someone said Dan hit this one out of the ballpark, I completely agree. I think the key is finding the right tubes and the sound is almost unreal. I first played Diana Krall's Abandoned Masquerade and I swear it gave me goose bumps!

Component level electronic repair is what I do. I disassembled my Modwright BDP-95. The mod layout and soldering work was excellent. The sound quality and craftsmanship, coupled with top notch support I experienced with my Modwright 95 was reasons I went for the Modwright 105 and 'BOY HOUDY' am I extremely glad I did. I am sure there are others but out of all of the places I have dealt with, there are only two I rate an A+ for customer support, steller sound and quality. Those two are ModWright and Decware.

Hi Dan,

I don't have much time but I wanted to let you know my initial thoughts on my new unit. In short, I LOVE it!!!!!!! It is everything you said and much more. The menu is much faster than my 95. From scrolling music or the time it takes to play is super fast. Using Jriver on my home server and an app called JRemote, I can control my music playing and volume, all from my iPad without the need for the TV to be on! I have not heard sources that cost $20,000. However when people are reporting your 105 mod sounds better, I have no doubt. The noise floor is lower. The bass is the most powerful I have ever heard in my system. The midrange is to die for. Even female voices that had exaggerated sibilance from tracks I had previously played hundreds of times, is much reduced and in some cases gone. I am always trying to upgrade and tweak my audio system in search for more better Hi-Fi. As a result this has become a very expensive hobby. With your 105 mod and the right tubes, I really believe my search is over. From Kristin, who was very nice and helpful, to your technician who has been a pleasure to deal with and went beyond assisting me with my slew of questions, and all of the times you helped me over the years, Modwright gets an A+ for customer support in my book. I could go on and on about my Oppo 105 mod but the bottom line is that this unit sounds so good it must be Holly Grail of audio sources. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Roy.......Nice write up, and thanks for the cc of your email to Dan. Your enthusiasm for the modified BDP-105 says it all.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Roy.......Nice write up, and thanks for the cc of your email to Dan. Your enthusiasm for the modified BDP-105 says it all.
+1 - thanks Roy for your input to this thread and for sharing your impressions and feedback regarding your new ModWright Oppo 105. Given that you already owned the 95 also, and are that pleased with the upgrade to your new 105, I am even more excited for my expected March 29th ship date for my 105!!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables