AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 02-17-2013, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
RLF.......Sorry to hear of the problem. Mine is working perfectly, and I'm sure your replacement Dectet will make you happy. PS Audio will make it right.
Yes, I am hoping so. They have always done that in the past when there have been problems.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
I am also pleased with my Dectet that is isolating my digital gear, PS Audio PWD MKII and Ayre SACD player. That being said, my Dectet had to be sent back to PS Audio for intermittent and unexplained shutdowns. After The folks at PS Audio had it a month for repair, it came back with the same problem after only 48 hours of use so it has been sent back again. I do not have any issues with the same gear plugged into my PS Audio Duet plugged into the same outlet. I was told by PS Audio that it was a firmware issue with a batch of early production Dectets. Since this is the second time that I've had to send my Dectet, I have asked the people at PS Audio to send me a new unit.

UPDATE: PS Audio will be sending me a new Dectet to replace the one that had the continuing but unexplained shutdown problem. When they had my Dectet in for repair this second time they could not replicate the problem, so they told me today that they are sending me a new one. As usual, PS Audio provides top notch customer service when there is a problem. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new unit will not have the same problem with my gear in my dedicated 20 amp line.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
UPDATE: PS Audio will be sending me a new Dectet to replace the one that had the continuing but unexplained shutdown problem. When they had my Dectet in for repair this second time they could not replicate the problem, so they told me today that they are sending me a new one. As usual, PS Audio provides top notch customer service when there is a problem. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new unit will not have the same problem with my gear in my dedicated 20 amp line.
If you have any issues with the new one; get me involved, even though I'm not the selling dealer.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 PM

Happy to say I just received a Dectet today myself. It will replace a PS Audio Duet. First impressions are positive: The unit is certainly impressive looking and feels solid.

I did have one problem, though: I heard a clicking noise the second I took the Dectet out of the box... Sounded like a loose screw inside... and after removing the top plate and inspecting the inside of the unit carefully, I confirmed my suspicions: one of the 4 Phillips screws that holds each Power Port in place was loose in one of the center receptacles. Talk about bad luck! I just had a similar problem with an Oppo 105 modified player only a few weeks ago... this has NOT been a good month, equipment-wise... I could not believe my luck... After two similar incidents I really do not want to deal with a new piece of gear for a LONG while...

The solution in this case, however, was simple. But it took me quite a while to actually maneuver my way to the rebel screw, since there's barely any room to use a screwdriver... The folks at PS Audio were friendly, though, and they helped me out via phone. They offered to ship a replacement right away, but luckily I was able to take care of the issue myself after some trial and error (and at least half a dozen screwdrivers that were simply too big for the job)...

Breaking it in as we speak!

Dan, did you find that yours exhibited any changes after a few hours?
Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Talk about a bad month for A/V gear... First, the modified Oppo 105 that came with loose parts shaking and stirring inside the unit. Now the Dectet is going back as well.

Long story short: everything worked fine while listening only to my Oppo 95 and Squeezebox Touch (my integrated amp is always connected straight to the wall). But the second I turned my Marantz receiver on I heard severe ground-loop and other extraneous noises. Emphasis on severe. As in REALLY bad. Not only that, turning my Panasonic plasma on (in other words, once all my components were on at the same time) made things even worse, and I could hear more noise and garbage filtering through my speakers.

I tried using different "Iso Zones" in the Dectet. Different combinations. First the "High Current" ports, then the regular ones, etc. Different power cables. Different physical positioning of the actual unit. Added vibrapods underneath it. Moved interconnects around, etc. Nothing worked. Whatever "isolation" the "Izo Zones" were providing, it was just not working in my set-up.

I never had any issues at all with my PS Audio Duet, so back to work it went. The result: silence. Everything works fine now, just like before.

A shame, since I still need an extra outlet and that was the main reason why I got the Dectet. But even though the PS Audio folks were friendly and helpful, this is still discouraging and disappointing. You would think a $500 power strip/conditioner, bla-bla-bla would not have this sort of issues. I'm honestly done with wasting money on things that may or may not improve anything, or may in fact actually make everything worse. I spent at least 5 hours behind my components last night, sweating like a pig and fighting with cords and outlets. All in vain. My wife's expression was of utter confusion and frustration... I'm done with audiophile mumbo-jumbo. I never had issues like this with a $25 Belkin power strip, either, which for all intents and purposes works just fine and offers a lot more outlets. I'm just tempted to buy something like an Emotiva CMX6 "distribution system" (usually on sale for $100 or less, and with 6 industrial grade outlets, also built like a tank), pocket $400, and call it a day. Or I might just forget about the whole thing altogether and go back to enjoying my movies and music without obsessions over any of this stuff...

Yes, I'll admit it: Not a good day today! Apologies for the rant. Not a good month, in fact. Dealing with two big (for me at least) $$$ refunds is no fun. The PS Audio is made in the US and I was happy to support that, but it came with a loose screw inside the unit (not a good start, see my post above) and then it basically made everything MUCH worse in my system... Lesson learned: no more "upgrading" for me for a while...

Last edited by esteban; 02-23-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

I personally use 4 Dectet's and have sold countless others. Not a single issue ever reported.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I personally use 4 Dectet's and have sold countless others. Not a single issue ever reported.
I'm not denying that, Ivan. As I said, my PS Audio Duet has been a great product. Never a single issue with it in years of constant use. And the folks at PS Audio were responsive and professional about the situation. But just as RLF reported previously in this very same thread, problems do exist. Two of us had issues with a Dectet so far. In my case, the ground loop and other extraneous noises were REALLY bad. Things I never heard before. Noise and digital "harsh" that kept fluctuating and changing all the time through my speakers. I can live with a tiny amount of ground loop, but this was audible from the kitchen...

Could anybody recommend a good quality "2-to-1" AC plug? Basically, I would need something that would allow me to use one single outlet in my Duet with two different components (two disc players that draw barely any power at all)... Thanks in advance, and apologies for the rant again. Call it bad luck. From now on, I will call it "if it ain't broken..."
Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Esteban.......I fully understand the frustration of dealing with issues that cause me to have to labor behind my audio racks. It is always a chore. Sorry to hear about the Dectet problem. Mine is working without any issues.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-24-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
If you have any issues with the new one; get me involved, even though I'm not the selling dealer.
Thanks, I sure will. I'm not sure what you can do though if the same problem occurs again? Hopefully, the third time is the charm.

I will keep you and the others here posted. I have been a long time PS Audio customer and have bought countless products from them over the years and have had the pleasure of meeting Paul McGowen himself a few years back.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Talk about a bad month for A/V gear...

Long story short: everything worked fine while listening only to my Oppo 95 and Squeezebox Touch (my integrated amp is always connected straight to the wall). But the second I turned my Marantz receiver on I heard severe ground-loop and other extraneous noises. Emphasis on severe. As in REALLY bad. Not only that, turning my Panasonic plasma on (in other words, once all my components were on at the same time) made things even worse, and I could hear more noise and garbage filtering through my speakers.

I tried using different "Iso Zones" in the Dectet. Different combinations. First the "High Current" ports, then the regular ones, etc. Different power cables. Different physical positioning of the actual unit. Added vibrapods underneath it. Moved interconnects around, etc. Nothing worked. Whatever "isolation" the "Izo Zones" were providing, it was just not working in my set-up.

I never had any issues at all with my PS Audio Duet, so back to work it went. The result: silence. Everything works fine now, just like before.

A shame, since I still need an extra outlet and that was the main reason why I got the Dectet. But even though the PS Audio folks were friendly and helpful, this is still discouraging and disappointing. You would think a $500 power strip/conditioner, bla-bla-bla would not have this sort of issues. I'm honestly done with wasting money on things that may or may not improve anything, or may in fact actually make everything worse. I spent at least 5 hours behind my components last night, sweating like a pig and fighting with cords and outlets. All in vain. My wife's expression was of utter confusion and frustration... I'm done with audiophile mumbo-jumbo. I never had issues like this with a $25 Belkin power strip, either, which for all intents and purposes works just fine and offers a lot more outlets. I'm just tempted to buy something like an Emotiva CMX6 "distribution system" (usually on sale for $100 or less, and with 6 industrial grade outlets, also built like a tank), pocket $400, and call it a day. Or I might just forget about the whole thing altogether and go back to enjoying my movies and music without obsessions over any of this stuff...

Yes, I'll admit it: Not a good day today! Apologies for the rant. Not a good month, in fact. Dealing with two big (for me at least) $$$ refunds is no fun. The PS Audio is made in the US and I was happy to support that, but it came with a loose screw inside the unit (not a good start, see my post above) and then it basically made everything MUCH worse in my system... Lesson learned: no more "upgrading" for me for a while...
I am so sorry to hear of your problem with your Dectet. No apology needed for the rant. I think that I ranted somewhat when I spoke directly to the folks at PS Audio when my Dectet came back after repairs and shut down again only after 48 hours and they wanted me to experiment with putting it elsewhere to see if it would shutdown again.

Despite a bad back, I had to also spend a few hours getting my Duet out of my dedicated Home Theater system and into my 2 channel rig in my listening room to once again replace the Dectet. Like you, my Duet continues to function perfectly without sudden shutdowns in the same dedicated outlet to the same gear! I hope that PS Audio will get it right this time when they send me a new unit. Yes, indeed one would not expect a new $500 product to have problems like yours and mine; especially after sending it back for repairs only to have it come back with the same issue.

I am not sure what to think of the problem with the Dectet QA issues that both of us have had. I currently have a PS Audio P5 regenerator in my Home Theater system and a PWD MKII as my DAC in my 2 channel rig that have had no issues whatsoever.